How to completely disable Windows 2000 Paging file

Hello,

I have a 512MB ram. I want to completely disable Virutal memory /paging file in Windows 2000.

I go to that Property->advanced tab. then i set it to 0 for all drives.

but after my reboot, it gives me a warning, and it actually alocates a 2mb paging file automatically.

so the paging file is still there which is 2mb. and it often gives me warning.

is there any way to completely disable this paging?

Thanks. :yes:

• 1 year later...
just create another partition and move it there, I heard this speeds your pc up somewhat.

585373650[/snapback]

Not on another partition. Another drive helps, and another IDE channel would give it a little speed boost too.

In reality, Windows is going to have at least some amount of virtual memory. If you want to limit paging to disk (I can't see why) then set your page file to 256 MB or something (Y)

where's Allan, he'll tell you that you can't remove it. windows needs and will force you to have a page file. Even if you set it to zero it will just make one of it's own, even if it's temporary.

windows needs the paging file to work, no 2 ways.

setting it to another partition can help (avoids the paging file getting fragmented) but a seperate drive is far, far better. (also makes sense to put stuff like your firefox cache onto the paging file's partiton/drive)

of course, everyone has diffenent ideas for how to work out the size of your paging file, but i just aim of 2x amount of ram