Different 40GB PS3 models

My brother bought a 40GB PS3 a few months back and I just went and grabbed one for myself last night.

His model number is CECHG02 and my model number is CECHH02.

On the back of the console, all the ports are in different positions on my model.

Can anyone explain what the difference is with my newer CECHH02 model compared to the older one?

I just found out it contains a upgraded motherboard, improved heatsinks and disperses heat more efficiently. Also contains better wifi and bluetooth modules.

Thanks anyway guys. I should have google'd first. My bad.

seems just a normal revision really.

Like the PS2 (there were a crap load of different PS2 models way before the slim one).

One is original, manufactured by Asustek of Taiwan, the other is a cheap replica made in China :rolleyes: (j/k)

Edit: Can you see the model number on the box, or is it on the PS3 unit only?

One is original, manufactured by Asustek of Taiwan, the other is a cheap replica made in China :rolleyes: (j/k)

Edit: Can you see the model number on the box, or is it on the PS3 unit only?

The model number is now on the box (both sides) and the console. My brother's PS3 box does not have the model number on it.

My PS3 box says this:

Sony Computer Entertainment - CECHH02 - SIXAXIS

His PS3 box says:

Sony Computer Entertainment - SIXAXIS

Edited by simmorya

Off base, but isn't the new PS3 model slated for release soon? I'm hoping they will price drop the 40GB model.

I had to wait for this console to be delivered straight from Sony. I wanted the newest model available.

The CECHHxx models were only released in Japan a few weeks back but are now available worldwide.

I think they are also available in the GTA/GT5 Prologue bundles as well.

i knew the newer models were getting a new heatsink, but i didnt know about the upgraded mobo and wifi/bluetooth. that's pretty neat (Y)

yeah, the 40GB models have that self-cleaning feature which i'm sure does nothing. :p I have yet to test it on mine.

To do it: Turn off the Power Switch on the back. While holding the Power button on the front, turn the switch back on. (crap, was it the eject button or the power button?)