Memory Remap Feature: Enable ot Disable?

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should I Memory Remap Feature?

• Enable
    • Disable

I caved and bought 4GB of RAM it was a bargain at my local computer shop.

I installed the 4GB RAM and the BIOS detects 3GB with Memory Remap Feature Enabled, if I Disable Memory Remap Feature

it detects 4GB.

So the question what is Memory Remap Feature and if I disable what happens?

What do people with 4GB> use?

Im guessing Memory Remap detects what the OS can handle and sets it to 3GB in the bios, as Vista 32-bit only handles 3GB and so does Windows XP.

I've got Vista Ultimate x64 for testing on the box yet the BIOS show 3GB, the OS shows 4GB in the system properties but in task manager I see 3GB

DJ Prem,

If you have a 64bit OS then turn on the remap feature and you should have access to the full 4GB. The only time I would not recommend turning it on is if your using a 32bit OS as when I did that on one of my PCs the PC didnt even read 3Gb just 2 for some reason. But if your using 64bit then turning it on should give you your full 4Gb

Hope that helps.

Hawker

No brainer, enable it if you have 64 bit.

Why is it a poll? It should be set depending on the amount of RAM and the OS being used:

With 3 GB of RAM or less, it doesn't matter.

For a 32-bit OS with more than 3 GB of RAM, it should be off.

For a 64-bit OS with more than 3 GB of RAM, it should be on.

Agreed, a poll for this makes no sense. The setting must match your machine configuration. Opinion should not factor into it...

I caved and bought 4GB of RAM it was a bargain at my local computer shop.

I installed the 4GB RAM and the BIOS detects 3GB with Memory Remap Feature Enabled, if I Disable Memory Remap Feature

it detects 4GB.

That sounds backward. I'm surprised a modern BIOS even has this option (most newer 64-bit boards handle this automatically).

In fact, the confusion is probably stemming from how this feature is described. Some probably say "Map devices above 4GB mark. Yes/No"

Yours probably says "DON'T map devices above 4GB mark. Yes/No"

Is the default "no?" I'd leave it at that, assuming a 64-bit OS.