Xbox Wireless router configuration WPA2

OK so I got a Xbox 360 and I want to connect wirelessly . . I have it set up for WAP2 encrypted. . . is there a way I can allow the mac address of the xbox to get passed the security?

I read somewhere that Xbox 360 cannot support WPA Encrypted. . . so I want to keep the router encrypted but . . . err anyway around this

use a wireless bridge (or a router configured as one) of some sort that does support WPA2 instead of the wireless receiver.

Alternatively if your router supports it, run in a dual wpa + wpa2 mode where by all devices will connect to the wpa2 and fall back to wpa if they cant do wpa2.

I personally use the bridge idea. Have a Linksys WRT54GL flashed with tomato firmware acting as a bridge.

The 360 Wireless adapter doesn't support WPA2, only WPA.

As for MAC filtering, you can, it's written on the back of the adapter, but IMHO, it's REALLY not worth it

I have my Linksys Wireless Router set up for WPA2 Personal (instead of WPA2 Enterprise) and when my nephew brings his 360 over with his wireless adapter it works fine. I just have him go in and select my network then enter the key and it lets us play CoD4 fine. If anyone needs to know any other settings (cept for IP and key obviously....damn social hackers) I have set up I would be glad to let you know and maybe that would help. Might not work for all routers or something, just wanted to share my personal experience.

Yeah any router will do fine if your plugging the XBox into it since the connection will just be a local ethernet one from the XBox's perspective and the only configuration issues you then need to look into are the routers ability to connect to another device (I don't think all can act as bridges and some can but may require new firmware).

As suggested, Linksys ones are quite good, especially the Linux based ones.

are you serious! lol Xbox 360 doesn't support WPA2, wow talk about the future of consoles!

some of these wireless bridge options are expensive, i'd just go with Mac address filtering or WEP, hidden SSID and mac address filtering. I mean its not completely safe but honestly how many people sit outside other peoples houses trying to hack into someones home wireless.

or use if you dont wanna config all the other computer. Create a second SSID and use WEP or mac address filtering with that SSID and WPA2 on the other SSID.

Edited by offroadaaron

some of these wireless bridge options are expensive,

Well the one I was recommending, the Linksys WRT54GL flashed with the freeware tomato firmware (you could use DDR-WRT) cost me less than it would have to buy the XBox wifi dongle at a store and as a plus it works with other devices in the room and not just the 360.