Ok, what's so great about HDTV?

Good to hear that it's so simple. The main point of this thread was to find out what the fuss is about.

BTW, no one here failed to mention the problems HDTVs have. My uncle bought one 5 months ago and ever since then, he's had nothing but problems. Sometimes, he gets picture with no sound or sound with no picture. And very frequently, his HD cable freezes. He's been whining about the hassle for so long. Looks to me like a lot of trouble.

Looks like your uncle bought a ****ty tv lol

My parents got their 50" plasma HDTV on Dec 30th, 2007.

IMO, it's much better than the 36-inch CRT-style from 2000-2001.

I doubt it.

I am still yet to invest in an HDTV haven't seen the point yet.

I know. There is no point. That's the thing.

Well the cable for the xbox360 has a switch for SD and HDTV and the cables that came with the HD cable box were composite too so I would assume it's HD capable?

There are component and composite cables on the end of that as well. Use those instead and you'll get an HD signal. And you got composite with your HD cable box because the manufacturer is cheap. The PS3 didn't even come with HD cables...

Looks like your uncle bought a ****ty tv lol

My uncle is not the only one with problems. My co-worker just bought a 52" Samsung HDTV and when it arrived, he opened the box, hooked it up and turned it on. Then lo and behold. The screen was cracked. So, now he has to send it back. I can't imagine mailing that big 52" TV. That's gotta be hard. Face it. HDTVs are just full of issues.

There are component and composite cables on the end of that as well. Use those instead and you'll get an HD signal. And you got composite with your HD cable box because the manufacturer is cheap. The PS3 didn't even come with HD cables...
Now I'm a bit confused haha. One set on the 360 is SD (one is all red, one is all white, one is grey with yellow tip) and the other is HD (all are grey with red, blue, green tips). So I guess the SD is component and the HD is composite? Or am I mixed up?

I am still yet to invest in an HDTV haven't seen the point yet.

Have you seen an HDTV? ;) Man on man, everything looks amazing. If your a sports fan its a must have because the games look better in HD than in real life lol. Then you have games and movies, most movies don't look that amazing in HD, the newer ones being made today with HD in mind look much better than the older ones made HD. I know you'll want to see Dark Knight in HD :) I know I'll be seeing it in IMAX opening day. Games is the big one for me though. If you have a say 30" tv and you get a 30" HDTV you won't notice a massive difference. But if you go from using a 50+ SD tv to a HDTV you will definitely notice a difference, everything looks crisper, brighter, delicious (food network mmm)

My brother has a smaller HDTV and I don't notice a huge difference, looks better but nothing extreme, my Dad's 70" HDTV though, thats like night and day and I'm not even a big videophile. Only problem with HDTV is then you want the HD cable box, surround sound, hd player, and the money comes rolling out.

As a PS3 user I can say playing it in HD makes the world of a difference for me. I wouldn't like the console nearly as much if it was SD only. In HD it really shines.

I doubt it.

I wouldn't have bought an HD TV at all but my SD tv broke so of course it would have been dumb not to buy an HD one. I have a 26 " insignia LCD that works great. I'm not saying dump your old tv and go out and buy an HD one now but you are probably not going to use the same tv forever. There is nothing "wrong" with hd tv's, if you don't want one you don't need to buy one I honestly don't see what the hell the fuss is about, you are just senselessly saying hd tv's suck for no reason.

HD channels do look noticeably better IMO much sharper and makes the biggest difference in movies and games. And if you have a 360 playing games on an SD tv is a nightmare because in games like Dead rising you can hardly read the text.

To answer your question: Who knows, but so far I'm still satisfied with my old TV, and whenever I see a new TV, I think the picture is better in some ways and worse in others. I actually prefer non-HD TV's. Just my opinion.

I doubt it.
Care to share any evidence to support that? It is the natural evolution of technology that supports his claims, yet you seem to want to argue for the sake of argument. If you didn't want to hear dissenting opinions, you shouldn't have made this thread.

In your opinion.

Now I'm a bit confused haha. One set on the 360 is SD (one is all red, one is all white, one is grey with yellow tip) and the other is HD (all are grey with red, blue, green tips). So I guess the SD is component and the HD is composite? Or am I mixed up?

Mixed up... component is HD (red, blue, green) and SD is composite (yellow, white, red)

Care to share any evidence to support that? It is the natural evolution of technology that supports his claims, yet you seem to want to argue for the sake of argument. If you didn't want to hear dissenting opinions, you shouldn't have made this thread.

In your opinion.

It seems to me he's just looking to start an argument. I'd close the thread... but a decent discussion has occured about HD and its principles.

Were just beating around the bush with him now.

Have you seen an HDTV? ;) Man on man, everything looks amazing. If your a sports fan its a must have because the games look better in HD than in real life lol. Then you have games and movies, most movies don't look that amazing in HD, the newer ones being made today with HD in mind look much better than the older ones made HD. I know you'll want to see Dark Knight in HD :) I know I'll be seeing it in IMAX opening day. Games is the big one for me though. If you have a say 30" tv and you get a 30" HDTV you won't notice a massive difference. But if you go from using a 50+ SD tv to a HDTV you will definitely notice a difference, everything looks crisper, brighter, delicious (food network mmm)

My brother has a smaller HDTV and I don't notice a huge difference, looks better but nothing extreme, my Dad's 70" HDTV though, thats like night and day and I'm not even a big videophile. Only problem with HDTV is then you want the HD cable box, surround sound, hd player, and the money comes rolling out.

As a PS3 user I can say playing it in HD makes the world of a difference for me. I wouldn't like the console nearly as much if it was SD only. In HD it really shines.

Yeah I have seen some stuff in 720 and 1080 and it does look good but I don't own any consoles so can't really get experience from that but who knows, I know I want to get a new telly one day so a HDTV isn't out the question.

My uncle is not the only one with problems. My co-worker just bought a 52" Samsung HDTV and when it arrived, he opened the box, hooked it up and turned it on. Then lo and behold. The screen was cracked. So, now he has to send it back. I can't imagine mailing that big 52" TV. That's gotta be hard. Face it. HDTVs are just full of issues.

A screen getting cracked is part of your ammunition against HDTVs? So you've never heard of the old CRT SDTVs getting cracked screens? Guess not.

It seems to me he's just looking to start an argument. I'd close the thread... but a decent discussion has occured about HD and its principles.

Were just beating around the bush with him now.

He must be very bored... :laugh:

Mixed up... component is HD (red, blue, green) and SD is composite (yellow, white, red)
Ok well then my cable box came with the component cables because theyre red, blue and green. I just had the names/colours mixed up.

Offtopic: Gigapixels, how did you code your Gamertag/score and stuff into your sig? The designs they have all suck. I want to make something better but I only know how I could do it static (I'm guessing yours updates with your score?)

what are you even talking about? a cracked screen has nothing to do with hdtv's. It could happen to anything that comes in a box. you make absolutely no sense. it's unbelievable.

Offtopic: Gigapixels, how did you code your Gamertag/score and stuff into your sig? The designs they have all suck. I want to make something better but I only know how I could do it static (I'm guessing yours updates with your score?)

It's done with a PHP script I wrote for it. It grabs the info from http://gamercard.xbox.com/gigapixels.card and puts it into whatever form I want it.

You are all feeding the troll... I'm surprised no moderator closed this topic.

It's quite clear that the OP don't care about anything anyone could say about HDTV. HE does not like it, it's irrelevant, SDTV is still the best and we should all think like him.

Only problem with HDTV is then you want the HD cable box, surround sound, hd player, and the money comes rolling out.

Exactly. It may be the only problem, but it's a big one. Having a sharper picture may be nice, but it ain't worth living in the poor house for.

Component- HD

Composite- SD

Argument? How? Not being impressed with HDTVs is causing an argument. I will admit, it's my opinion and mine only. Just because my opinion is against yours you think I'm starting an argument. Please do close this thread because it is obviously leading to argument which was not my intent. Believe me, it wasn't.

You are all feeding the troll... I'm surprised no moderator closed this topic.

It's quite clear that the OP don't care about anything anyone could say about HDTV. HE does not like it, it's irrelevant, SDTV is still the best and we should all think like him.

You're right... the fact that he's now throwing out goofy reasons like an HDTV arriving cracked is just trying to incite a response.

Thread Closed.