[school] slow browsing

I recently installed windows XP (SP3 slipstreamed) on my hp pavilion dv6000t laptop and now am getting very slow internet download speeds. I am only using wireless right now. I installed the intel/pro 1000 drivers and software along with the program my college uses to connect to its network (Cisco Secure Services Client). Every time I use either Cisco to connect to the school's network or the Intel/Pro software to connect to my home network, the stupid windows thing in the taskbar continually shows it is trying to connect even though everything is already connected. So, basically I have windows, Intel, and Cisco trying to connect to the internet (although I disable Cisco to connect to the home network and disable Intel to connect to the school).

Anyways, is this an issue with SP3 or just how I've installed wireless drivers and software? I am used to getting very high d/l speeds with my school's wireless- now it is hardly reaching dial-up speeds.

Thanks in advance.

I can confirm that my school's wireless can handle much faster speeds. I was just downloading iTunes at 1.1 MB/sec.

The problem is this kept dropping- very fast at first; but, it never settled down on a consistent speed. It continued to drop, although slowly, even after it reached about 80 KB/sec. Actually, now I think it is steady at around 50 KB/sec.

I checked my bandwidth speed, and got 300 something from broadband tests. It should be much faster, but I am not even getting these speeds. Any help?

I don't think it has anything to do with SP3. It's possible the network is just congested. Or, they could have started throttling bandwidth.

Try uninstalling the drivers though. And, make sure to set it up correctly so that both windows and the installed drivers aren't both trying to run the wireless card.

I see you're from Pittsburgh too...where do you go to school?

University of Pittsburgh. They have amazingly fast internet- I get d/l speeds around 3-4 MB/sec easily during normal school days. Right now, it's the summer semester, so congestion should not be an issue at all.

I don't think it's SP3 either- I have a feeling it's something with the drivers, but I'm not sure if I need to install the Intel/PROSet Wireless Software along with the drivers. I used to use the software and it worked fine under SP2, but it seems kinda funky right now.

University of Pittsburgh. They have amazingly fast internet- I get d/l speeds around 3-4 MB/sec easily during normal school days. Right now, it's the summer semester, so congestion should not be an issue at all.

I don't think it's SP3 either- I have a feeling it's something with the drivers, but I'm not sure if I need to install the Intel/PROSet Wireless Software along with the drivers. I used to use the software and it worked fine under SP2, but it seems kinda funky right now.

I went to Pitt...I was there when they first rebuilt the network. It was completely uncapped for the first semester I was there. I could download at ridiculous speeds and even upload at over 5MB/s. So i know how it is. :p

Like you said, for the summer there should be little traffic compared to normal. I still don't think it is SP3 thought that is causing it because like you said in your 2nd post the downloads start fast then seem to throttle down.

Nice, what did you study? I hate this city by the way, even though I lived here when I was younger.

Can the throttling thing be caused by the drivers? I guess there's only one way to find out.

Nice, what did you study? I hate this city by the way, even though I lived here when I was younger.

Can the throttling thing be caused by the drivers? I guess there's only one way to find out.

Oakland is just a weird place. I was in the dual major program at the time for Computer Science and Business Management. I only went there 2 semesters though then transfered out.

I don't see why the drivers (or mix of) would be doing that, but who knows. I've never seen it happen like that before but that doesn't mean it couldn't.

It is possible that they are doing maintenance to the network seeing as though it is the summer. Is anyone else having the same problems as you?

throttling is done within the network itself, to help conserve bandwith, and once again -> Sp3 has most likely nothing to do with the browsing speeds, its just the network being limited.

Well, I just found it odd that I encountered this problem right after reformatting the computer. It's possible that they're doing maintenance- the library computers are working fine, internet-wise, although they are not using wireless. I'll ask around though and try reinstalling drivers just for fun. Thanks all for the help.

At ISU, the download speeds are really amazing! I even have my own router as well.