Legally download Windows Vista Ultimate

It cost like $30 and you have to fill out a form, you can get that form in this article (HERE)

This is for system builders (people who buy there computers from places like Dell or people who build their own computers and buy an OEM copy of Vista)

NOTE for software thieves looking to justify their illegally-downloaded software:

This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with getting installtion media from a P2P Torrent. Or any other illegal means.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with making your illegal installation legal.

The ONLY WAY to do that is by REMOVING the illegal copy and replacing it with a LEGAL one.

Don't believe me? Ask a copyright attorney.

Donald L McDaniel

The ONLY WAY to do that is by REMOVING the illegal copy and replacing it with a LEGAL one.

Don't believe me? Ask a copyright attorney.

Donald L McDaniel

There is no difference between my "illegal" copy of vista in which I used a legal key and the one that came with my Dell. Both activate just fine, since both have legal keys.

It doesn't matter that the DVD I used came off of a torrent. I didn't patch, crack or anything. My school was selling Vista Business keys and I got one.

[snipped stuff about stuff]

And it will wind up bothering you (whether or not you are ever found out here on the Earth), since guilt ultimately carries within itself its own punishment.

Yes indeedy. You will generally end up wondering where to point stuff at (that's it isn't it?) if you are guilty.

Well that's what I think thinking back to my childhood. You can tell I am an infidel and was lacking some needed serious peer support as I was growing up can't you just?

Ok I was being flippant . :D Does everyone know that you end up wondering where to point yourself or something at or is that just me btw? :alien: :alien: :alien:

:D

This thread has pretty much degenerated into a bunch of idiots antagonizing someone who takes the issue far too seriously. How do you guys get off on that?

WindowsOnIMac:

You really find it that much of a problem if he doesn't want to wait or pay for a replacement disc? If he's got a legal key then why is there so much of a problem for him to download it? I wouldn't pay for a new copy if I could easily download it or use a friends (which is legal so I don't see the problem with downloading if you have a legal key), I don't see why anyone should have to.

Also downloading Windows Vista isn't killing people, well I hope not, otherwise thousands will have died.

You know, the whole reason Microsoft invented the whole "30 day activation" thing for Vista (note, i'm not talking about activation as such, I'm talking about the grace period you get to enter a key) was so that people could distribute their installation disks to their friends and relatives to try Vista out. The idea is, if they like it, they can just buy a key and everyone is happy.

Also, nowhere on a windows disk does it say you can't rip it. In fact, it's ENCOURAGED! Microsoft has tools BUILT INTO WINDOWS to allow you to get a disk, add patches, service packs, hotfixes, etc. into it, reburn it and keep it handy for when you need to install windows again.

So combine that, with the fact that Microsoft LETS you distribute it to friends, relatives, colleagues and anyone that wants it. Do they stipulate that you need to only give them the original disk? No. Do they stipulate that you can't distribute it via digital means? No.

So why is it ILLEGAL to distribute it via torrents? Sure, it's illegal to distribute a CRACKED version, but a normal version with all the updates et all is just going to spread Vista around a bit and get Microsoft more sales from people who are just curious.

It may be a grey area, but if you're using a legitimate key, it's perfectly legal.

Yes by all means. Everything here does not have to turn into a P***ing Contest. All he has to do is contact Microsoft.

You know, Gary7, I would assume that someone who wants to "Promote A Healthier Community" would agree with me.

How can a society filled with steadily-increasing lawlessness ever become "heathier"?

I guess that in a world filled with criminals and madmen, a law-abiding man becomes the "crazy one", and a target for every kind of idiotic names.

I do understand how Noah must have felt just before he went into the Ark along with his family: He must have felt extremely isolated from the humanity he loved so dearly.

But I also remember that he was still alive 360 days later, after all his detractors had perished in the water.

Which leads me to conclude along with Solomon, "It's better to be a "live dog" than a "dead lion".

Donald L McDaniel

snip

Exactly... It's really simple, despite the hell-fire that our good friend promises us if we don't get the original disc from Microsoft.

You know, the whole reason Microsoft invented the whole "30 day activation" thing for Vista (note, i'm not talking about activation as such, I'm talking about the grace period you get to enter a key) was so that people could distribute their installation disks to their friends and relatives to try Vista out. The idea is, if they like it, they can just buy a key and everyone is happy.

Also, nowhere on a windows disk does it say you can't rip it. In fact, it's ENCOURAGED! Microsoft has tools BUILT INTO WINDOWS to allow you to get a disk, add patches, service packs, hotfixes, etc. into it, reburn it and keep it handy for when you need to install windows again.

So combine that, with the fact that Microsoft LETS you distribute it to friends, relatives, colleagues and anyone that wants it. Do they stipulate that you need to only give them the original disk? No. Do they stipulate that you can't distribute it via digital means? No.

So why is it ILLEGAL to distribute it via torrents? Sure, it's illegal to distribute a CRACKED version, but a normal version with all the updates et all is just going to spread Vista around a bit and get Microsoft more sales from people who are just curious.

It may be a grey area, but if you're using a legitimate key, it's perfectly legal.

Sorry, friend. You are at least attempting to be reasonable, but you are still dead wrong.

1) Microsoft created the 30 day "break-in" period to allow one to make sure the product will work properly on his machin

2) Microsoft did NOT do this so that "he could pass the software around to his friends". That is EXACTLY what they are trying to STOP with their Windows Product Activation or the "Windows Genuine Initiative".

3) There is NO NEED to stipulate HOW it may or may not be distributed. Why? Because in THEIR minds, there is only a SINGLE WAY to LEGALLY distribute it: Through THEMSELVES or their AUTHORIZED servers.

Your whitewashing doesn't hide the fact that it is JUST as illegal to distribute a NON-CRACKED version through unauthorized means as it is to distribute a CRACKED version. Doesn't matter its CONDITION. It DOES matter that Microsoft most definitely has NOT authorized ANYONE to distribute it via a P2P network.

Therefore, ANY such copy is ILLEGAL. And NOT because Microsoft thinks it's illegal: but BECAUSE THE LAW has decided that it is illegal to distribute software belonging to [replace with any software owner] without the owner's permission.

I don't care HOW you want to rationalize theft. If we take something belonging to someone else, and pass it around without the owner's permission, we've made ourselves guilty before the Law of THEFT. There is just no rationalization for theft. It doesn't even matter WHY someone stole something. ALL that matters before the Law is that it was STOLEN. Now, the Judge may have the legal leeway to find such a one guilty of a lesser crime, or he may have leeway to give a lesser sentence, but he does NOT have the leeway to decide no crime was committed, if one was. Even a judge is subject to the Law he administers.

If Microsoft chooses not to go forward with seeking to have such illegal acts prosecuted, that is their business. But NO ONE should take their non-action as a sign of APPROVAL. And NO ONE should assume that because Microsoft has not yet sought this, therefore it's LEGAL. It's legality has absolutely NOTHING to do with Microsoft's willingness to seek prosecution or not.

Donald L McDaniel

snippidy snip snip

Not believe me? Lets ask Microsoft themselves. Oh wait, someone already did!

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPo...7&SiteID=25

There is nothing wrong or illegal about installing Windows Vista without a product key and trying it out for 30 days.
Carey is absolutly correct. In fact, one of the reasons Vista doesn't require a key during install (XP does require a key at install) was so that a user could try Vista out without having to buy a Product Key.

Now how do you suppose a user is meant to acquire an installation disk WITHOUT buying it?

Sir, the Law must be taken seriously, as seriously as we are able to.

IF you die, it will be because YOU are hateful toward honest men. I could care less what happens to you.

I want YOU to go away, because YOU are the one killing us, each time you break the Law, if indeed you are a scofflaw.

Donald L McDaniel

Could you like, quit posting? Thanks.

Your whitewashing doesn't hide the fact that it is JUST as illegal to distribute a NON-CRACKED version through unauthorized means as it is to distribute a CRACKED version.

Wrong. You pay Microsoft for the license to use Windows, not the media in which the software is on. You cannot use the software beyond 30 days without this license. Downloading the software and using the key that YOU PAID FOR to activate said software is not illegal, otherwise such discussion here on Neowin, which has been abundant, would've been long since shut down and its participants warned for discussing warez. Redistributing a product key is illegal, not the software. You've already paid Microsoft for the key you use, so they are not affected in any fashion if you use a copy of Windows downloaded from a disputable source as long as your product key is genuine.

Your argument is flawed.

WindowsOnIMac:

You really find it that much of a problem if he doesn't want to wait or pay for a replacement disc? If he's got a legal key then why is there so much of a problem for him to download it? I wouldn't pay for a new copy if I could easily download it or use a friends (which is legal so I don't see the problem with downloading if you have a legal key), I don't see why anyone should have to.

Also downloading Windows Vista isn't killing people, well I hope not, otherwise thousands will have died.

1)I DO find it a GREAT problem, for a simple reason: The Law is the Law. We cannot make it read the way we want it to read.

2) What are the consequences of attempting to do so? Are they just for the lawbreaker? Of course not. IF the MASSES decide to dishonor the Law by breaking it, EVERYONE will suffer, since anyone could then decide he has the right to decide on the legality of a course of action. What if that action is MURDER instead of software theft? Soon, we will be just where we were before the Great Flood of Noah: EVERYONE will be "taking the law into his own hands". WE will become a world of MURDERERS then. We CANNOT, We MUST not take the Law for granted. We MUST not decide to be the Judge and jury ourselves.

3) It really is not "technically" a problem (since even a child could do it, if he knew how. After all, all it takes to do it "technically" is by clicking on it.)

Six Billion little judges makes for NO LAW. PERIOD. And NO PROTECTION for the Innocent.

The PROBLEM is YOU, friend. You've decided that YOU are ABOVE the Law, outside it. Why can't I make the SAME decision, and decide that it is not wrong to MURDER you? or Rape your daughter or wife? Or steal your land?

THAT would be the result of EACH MAN being his OWN judge and Lawgiver.

The HUMAN RACE is at stake here, friend, not just an easy download. Don't be deceived by the easiness of the crime, and the strong possibility that you will never be prosecuted for it. IT is STILL WRONG, and it is STILL ILLEGAL.

It takes a strong man to live according to Law. It takes a weak man to break it. Which do you want to be?

Strong, or weak?

Make a decision soon, friend.

1)I DO find it a GREAT problem, for a simple reason: The Law is the Law. We cannot make it read the way we want it to read.

2) What are the consequences of attempting to do so? Are they just for the lawbreaker? Of course not. IF the MASSES decide to dishonor the Law by breaking it, EVERYONE will suffer, since anyone could then decide he has the right to decide on the legality of a course of action. What if that action is MURDER instead of software theft? Soon, we will be just where we were before the Great Flood of Noah: EVERYONE will be "taking the law into his own hands". WE will become a world of MURDERERS then. We CANNOT, We MUST not take the Law for granted. We MUST not decide to be the Judge and jury ourselves.

3) It really is not "technically" a problem (since even a child could do it, if he knew how. After all, all it takes to do it "technically" is by clicking on it.)

Six Billion little judges makes for NO LAW. PERIOD. And NO PROTECTION for the Innocent.

The PROBLEM is YOU, friend. You've decided that YOU are ABOVE the Law, outside it. Why can't I make the SAME decision, and decide that it is not wrong to MURDER you? or Rape your daughter or wife? Or steal your land?

THAT would be the result of EACH MAN being his OWN judge and Lawgiver.

The HUMAN RACE is at stake here, friend, not just an easy download. Don't be deceived by the easiness of the crime, and the strong possibility that you will never be prosecuted for it. IT is STILL WRONG, and it is STILL ILLEGAL.

It takes a strong man to live according to Law. It takes a weak man to break it. Which do you want to be?

Strong, or weak?

Make a decision soon, friend.

Dude...I want what your smoking, holy ****.

Thread Closed

This has gone on far enough.

Contact Microsoft for replacement media, thanks.

Radish?