Steam Achievments after format

i know that last time i reinstalled windows i lost all my achievements for half life 2, but when i reinstall windows again am i going to lost my tf2 medic achievements as well? or are they managed separately?

I wasn't aware Half Life 2 for PC even had achievements? Did they back port them as well as EP1's?

Anyway I can't answer your Q but I'd had assumed it would be managed server side not locally otherwise there'd be rampant cheating of the system as well as the fact you wouldnt be able to view them when navigating to the steam web page and looking at peoples profiles.

There are no achievements for HL2, the only Source games that have them are EP2, Portal, TF2 and the DoD:s Beta.

Secondly, achievements are recorded serverside so once you achieve them they are tied to your account, when you reintall and launch one of the above however you may see them all locked first time before it synchronises with the Steam servers.

Achievement progress is stored in your save game files.

Once you get the achievement, it's stored on the Steam servers (so you can run through a game multiple times trying for different achievements, I'm trying to get the grub one and the "Hot Potatowned" one in EP2, screw the gnome)

And yeah, Valve haven't added the achievements to HL2 and EP1 yet (but I'll replay them again when they do, second time for HL2 and 3rd for EP1)

Once you get the achievement, it's stored on the Steam servers (so you can run through a game multiple times trying for different achievements, I'm trying to get the grub one and the "Hot Potatowned" one in EP2, screw the gnome)

And yeah, Valve haven't added the achievements to HL2 and EP1 yet (but I'll replay them again when they do, second time for HL2 and 3rd for EP1)

I'm trying to do the Gnome one at the moment, and it's pretty hard :laugh: . Also, weren't the achievements in HL2 and EP1 are already in the Xbox 360 version. It's only a matter of time before they add it in PC, or have they done that already?

Scirwode

Valve said they were going to port HL2 and EP1 (and their MP games) to Source 2007 and all the features from the Xbox release (i.e. HDR in HL2), So that should mean achievements as well.

Apparently Valve are now going to port all of their Source games to Source 2007 (so Half-Life: Source is getting a new flashlight and particles) DoD:S is the first MP game of theirs to be ported (not counting TF2, even though it started off back on "GoldSrc").

HDR is already in HL2 and EP1 on the PC O.o

Valve said they were going to port HL2 and EP1 (and their MP games) to Source 2007 and all the features from the Xbox release (i.e. HDR in HL2), So that should mean achievements as well.

Apparently Valve are now going to port all of their Source games to Source 2007 (so Half-Life: Source is getting a new flashlight and particles) DoD:S is the first MP game of theirs to be ported (not counting TF2, even though it started off back on "GoldSrc").

I really hope this is free for everyone who purchased the original source games (or at least original source games and orange box), because having to pay for it again would really blow.

Valve's been saying that for a couple of years now, though.

HDR is already in HL2 and EP1 on the PC O.o

The engine supports HDR, but the (HL2) maps don't (it needs HDR lightmaps, cubemaps, etc.), and there's more to the EP2 engine than just HDR enhancements (lighting enhancements, physics, particles, multi-core, etc.)

I really hope this is free for everyone who purchased the original source games (or at least original source games and orange box), because having to pay for it again would really blow.

Valve loves us, each and every one!

Valve's been saying that for a couple of years now, though.

Yep.

Edit: Post Orange Box shipping, things have started to calm down and they can get back to working on those updates, DoD:S coming out on the OB engine is a sign of that.