Samsung vs. Sony HDTVs

I know I said in other threads that I'm not interested in HDTVs, but everybody here has said nothing but good things about them, so I'm starting to look into buying one. However, I can't figure out which TV is better, Sony or Samsung. I heard both brands have excellent HDTVs. From experience, what do you people think is better? Which brand has better picture and the least amount of problems/issues?

I love Sony TV's. The have the best picture quality in my opinion and you can't go wrong with their new Bravia TV's. Samsungs have the same LCD panels, but I don't know why they look not as great as Sony TV's side by side. I also don't like the Samsung TV designs for the new ones with the curve at the bottom.

The Sony Bravia is an absolute hands down winner, miles ahead of anything else i've looked at.

I own one, and it's a ripper!

The only catch is the cost, but then again, you get what you pay for :)

there new w4000 is an amazin set in person...they really r best at colour!! Plus with the new XMB settings it makes them that little extra bit sexier ;)

Looks to me like Sony is better. I was kinda hoping people would say Samsung as they are much cheaper, but I guess you do get what you pay for. Well, if Sony is better, then I guess I better start saving. That'll take about 2-3 years. :D

Looks to me like Sony is better. I was kinda hoping people would say Samsung as they are much cheaper, but I guess you do get what you pay for. Well, if Sony is better, then I guess I better start saving. That'll take about 2-3 years. :D

in 2-3 years the price would have come down a heap.... and there will be different models out. samsung might be better than sony by then....

Both Sony and Samsung spell QUALITY, hands down.

Sony displays overall look better. Their AutoMotion engine is much smoother than Samsung's and produces less artifacts.

But as with any Sony product, there is a heavier price to pay.

in 2-3 years the price would have come down a heap.... and there will be different models out. samsung might be better than sony by then....

Well I sure hope so. HDTVs have been out for quite a long time and the prices are still on the high side.

I always think Samsung TVs are more sleek looking than Sonys, but based on reviews and the responses here, it seems like Sony has better quality.

I was just wondering. Do the Sony TVs allow you to calibrate each input separately? I know Samsung lets you do that, but I'm not sure if Sony does.

I prefer Samsung. However, it is personal preference as to how you like the colors.

AVSForum is a great place for info on individual HDTVs...comparing two big name brands is just too general.

When I purchased mine, it was widely recognized that the Samsung models were not as nice out of the box as the Sony, but if you spent the time to have them calibrated, they had a better picture. This was the 2006 line of 1080P DLP TVs.

i think majority of you said sony was better than samsung because of brand image. they do use the same screens (as somebody already mentioned)

if i were you, i would save myself some money and take the cheaper one (which would usually be the samsung)

To be perfectly honest... going off what a small number on this forum say is probably not the best answer to the question you are posing.

I would personally go to several different stores to compare the TV's, since each store will have different lighting, and see which looks better to you. I personally find the Samsung's reproduce better blacks over most Sony offerings but as said earlier... the Sony's are slightly better at reducing artifacting with SD content. At the end of the day the choice is personal, I however believe that you wouldn't be disappointed purchasing either a Sony or Samsung TV.

Just go to your local Best Buy or Circuit City and see for yourself. Your eyes will tell you more than our words.

I was faced with a similar dilemma, and opted for a Samsung set. No regrets.

A friend of mine has a Bravia which is equally amazing, just a little more expensive. It's all a matter of personal opinion. You should go check out the sets you like in a local retailer.

The two companies seem to give you a different type of image. The Samsung goes for very vibrant colors and the glossy panels (on some sets) while the Sony's focus more on subdued tones that, to me, appear more natural. I would go with a Sony, fi it can be afforded. It's close and down to which image type you like, but I personally prefer the natural color tones on the Sony models.