Samsung vs. Sony HDTVs

I moved from Sony to Samsung with my latest TV purchase, I have no regrets. The Samsung LN46A460A is by far the best looking TV, the PQ is perfect, there's no ghosting whatsoever when playing Xbox 360 or watching fast paced movies.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2047/244361...e05890f64_o.png

Beautiful living room you have. And that Samsung TV makes it look even better. That's what I like about Samsung TVs as opposed to Sony's. Their TVs are much sleeker and nicer looking.

Beautiful living room you have. And that Samsung TV makes it look even better. That's what I like about Samsung TVs as opposed to Sony's. Their TVs are much sleeker and nicer looking.

They are HUGE finger print magnets. Just a warning. They don't come with their own little shammy for nothing.

They are HUGE finger print magnets. Just a warning. They don't come with their own little shammy for nothing.

Because of my 46in Samsung being glossy black it gets SOOOooooooo much dust on it after a week or 2 which is very noticeable, I have to clean it on a weekly basis.

My Bravia actually came in a finish similar to my PS3 :(

Just gets dusted at the same time :laugh:

At least it makes them both look stunning together.

I moved from Sony to Samsung with my latest TV purchase, I have no regrets. The Samsung LN46A460A is by far the best looking TV, the PQ is perfect, there's no ghosting whatsoever when playing Xbox 360 or watching fast paced movies.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2047/244361...e05890f64_o.png

great tv, I have the same one (bought it just before xmas) and I wouldn't trade it for a Sony

yes they are....

great tv, I have the same one (bought it just before xmas) and I wouldn't trade it for a Sony

yes they are....

So, you're saying that Samsung TVs are great, except that they attract fingerprints and dust?

After hearing about that, it kind of makes me want to get a Sony now. I hate it when I buy something and it easily attracts dust and fingerprints.

dude, just go look at the tv's yourself. see which you think looks better. It would be dumb not to buy a tv that you prefer the picture quality of because it shows dust. anything black will show dust.

Just make your own decision. No one here is going to go buy it for you. You have heard likes/dislikes for both brands. And neither really outweigh the other. It's completely personal preference.

Actually that's incorrect, they come with a shammy cloth, at least in the US. And I have not had dust or finger print issues but I am a neat freak.

dude, just go look at the tv's yourself. see which you think looks better. It would be dumb not to buy a tv that you prefer the picture quality of because it shows dust. anything black will show dust.

Just make your own decision. No one here is going to go buy it for you. You have heard likes/dislikes for both brands. And neither really outweigh the other. It's completely personal preference.

I did look at the TVs. Both brands look the best. That's why I'm either going to get a Sony or Samsung. But from what I can see, it seems like Samsung has a slightly better picture in terms of contrast and color. As for the dust magnet thing, I'll have to go back to the store and check that out. I never realized that until people mentioned that here.

Actually that's incorrect, they come with a shammy cloth, at least in the US. And I have not had dust or finger print issues but I am a neat freak.

I think you misread my quote lol. I know they come with a shammy cloth. My point was that they come with one because of the fact they are such finger print magnets.

I just went to my cousin's house. I haven't been there in a very long time. So, when I got there, I saw that he just bought a Sony Bravia 42" HDTV, which looked really HUGE. Anyway, he let me use it for a while. After looking at it, I think I'll go with a Samsung instead as I wasn't all that impressed with how it looked. Colors aren't as rich and vivid like the Samsung TVs. Even my Samsung Slimfit SDTV has much better colors. Also, I was disappointed in the contrast. The picture didn't look as bright as my SDTVs. I tried calibrating it for him to see if I can get the picture to become brighter but I saw that he still had the TV set to vivid, aka "fire" mode, with the contrast set to its max. Anyway, in my opinion, colors and contrast look very disappointing to me on an Sony HDTV. So, I'll go with the Samsung, even though it's a dust magnet. Thanks anyway to everyone for your inputs. I really appreciate them.

I just happened to see a nice 26" Sony Bravia at Best Buy today for only $600. I was shocked at the price as HDTVs at that size range are almost $1,000. I was about to buy it, but saw that it was only 720p. I'd rather get a 1080p, which are still expensive at the moment. But it's good to know that HDTVs are going down in price now.

BTW, I looked at the Samsung TVs and it doesn't look like they're attracting that much dust. I guess maybe since they're shinier TVs, the dust tends to be more visible.

Would recommend that you also look at the Panasonics too - very good TVs. If you can stretch to the price take a look at Pioneer. Oh and Sharp make some nice TVs too.

• 1 month later...

I would recommend a Samsung TV to anyone looking for a new TV. I recently purchased a 42" Samsung Plasma for my living room, and its by far the best TV I've had.

I'd totally avoid Plasma, tbh it's a technology on the way out (many of the panel makers are getting out of the plasma game)

I'm still sticking with my Sony opinion - and yes I do own one, but i'd like to think i'm not biased saying it as I still go into the stores and look at the new tv's and I can't help but think my choice was the best i've made.

Just a small side note too, Sony has a 32" 1080p model out now too, and the prices on all the models have dropped a bit too!

I have a toshiba 42" 1920x1080 (full HD) tv , I picked it because it offered very high quality of display , same as sony and above the samsungs I checked.

Since when Samsung and Sony are the only viable options? Toshiba, Sharp, Philips and some other brands make very high quality TVs.

People should remember to check on how the store they visit connects the TVs and what media they showing.

Sometimes you can see that a certain brand enjoys better cabling or that the media displayed is a demo from a certain maker that tunes it to look best on their own TVs

Since when Samsung and Sony are the only viable options? Toshiba, Sharp, Philips and some other brands make very high quality TVs.

I have a Sharp Aquos 46" FullHD and at the time, it was the best, had a much better picture quality than what Sony sold.

But, I still prefer the image quality of my bigger Sony 50" SXRD Rear projection TV (FullHD). The picture is smoother, brighter.

I'd totally avoid Plasma, tbh it's a technology on the way out (many of the panel makers are getting out of the plasma game)

Well, when i was purchasing my TV i was looking between a samsung lcd and plasma and my wife and I both viewed the plasma as a better picture. They way i looked at it is technology is constantly going to change so I know which ever TV i bought that a year from now something better will be out.

If I sit around waiting for newer and better technology to come out i'd never buy anything...

Well, when i was purchasing my TV i was looking between a samsung lcd and plasma and my wife and I both viewed the plasma as a better picture. They way i looked at it is technology is constantly going to change so I know which ever TV i bought that a year from now something better will be out.

If I sit around waiting for newer and better technology to come out i'd never buy anything...

Oh come on! It's always the best to wait for the newer and better technology. Trust me, it'll pay off. Look at me! I've been planning to get an HDTV for a couple of years now, but I'm being patient because I know something better will come out sooner or later. Either that or I'll get the older technology for much a cheaper price. So either way, I'll end up happy.

Oh come on! It's always the best to wait for the newer and better technology. Trust me, it'll pay off. Look at me! I've been planning to get an HDTV for a couple of years now, but I'm being patient because I know something better will come out sooner or later. Either that or I'll get the older technology for much a cheaper price. So either way, I'll end up happy.

What? It makes sense to me to wait a little bit and plan the purchase but something new and better will always be coming out. At some point you just have to bite the bullet and make your purchase.

What? It makes sense to me to wait a little bit and plan the purchase but something new and better will always be coming out. At some point you just have to bite the bullet and make your purchase.

Yeah, this is what I can't stand. People ALWAYS have to have things right now. You can never wait. It's gotte be now!

Yeah, this is what I can't stand. People ALWAYS have to have things right now. You can never wait. It's gotte be now!

I've been planning a purchase for quite some time. But as I mentioned before at some point how long do you wait. Based off of what your saying is keep waiting for new technology because something is going to be better. Yes, that is true.

At some point you do have to "bite the bullet" and just make your purchase and come to terms with the fact your purchase will be out dated at some point. Maybe 6 months, maybe a year but the technology you buy will not bee the latest and greatest forever.

This really got off topic fast, however I'll still stand w Samsung. One of my friends had purchased one a couple years back and it had an awesome picture. Shortly after my neighbor got one and again fantastic picture. I along with many others agree Samsung makes a great product for performance to dollars.

This really got off topic fast, however I'll still stand w Samsung. One of my friends had purchased one a couple years back and it had an awesome picture. Shortly after my neighbor got one and again fantastic picture. I along with many others agree Samsung makes a great product for performance to dollars.

At first, I sort of thought Samsung might be the way to go since their LCDs look the best on display at the stores, but I had so many issues with their CRTs. I don't think I could ever trust them again.