Windows Vista X64 with 8GB of RAM

2-4GB is enough, that extra cash could go for another upgrade if needed, maybe in 10 years you will need 8GB but atm that is overkill.

2-4GB is enough, that extra cash could go for another upgrade if needed, maybe in 10 years you will need 8GB but atm that is overkill.

Emphasis mine - 10 years, are you joking?

I would say within the next 5 years it will be common to find computers with 8GB of memory.

To tell if you really need more RAM, in the Task Manager, look at the Peak commit charge. If the value is larger than your total Physical Memory, then your system was paging and can benefit from more memory.

4gb is an overkill by itself .. 8gb is just overcompensation for something else...

imao, the sexual innuendo ... whoop :laugh:

If you can is good, because you dont to change the memory in the foreseable future, but if is DDR2 i dont thinks is the best cuz DDR3 with better velocity is better with that cantity of RAM. Finally you can have that RAM but still you need a pagefile, cuz some software like vist use it. I think 100 buck is nothing but you have to see if really need it and that 100 dolars cant be put in something better.

See around.

absolutely 4GB. Intels Nehalem processors due early next year will require people to shift to DDR3 and with 4GB being plenty now I see no reason to buy 8 of DDR2 (I assume your getting DDR2 as thats the best bang for buck atm). As before I assume it's DDR2 so for the long term the ram will only last you this build. If you go DDR3 then you have a deep pocket to get 8GB of the stuff and I'd argue your better off buying 2 - 4GB max now anyway and just getting more down the line if needed. 4GB should be ample for 95% of people.

So either way, DDR2 it wont be any use in a future PC and DDR3 is still prohibitively expensive so for the performance benefits most users would see just buy less now and wait for the price to drop and applications that use the ram to be released.

save my money and stick with 4 instead of getting 8? not a chance! i sold my 2 ocz reaper pc-9200 2 gb kits on ebay and bought 2 ocz reaper pc-8500 4 gb kits from newegg and had money left over. i'll grant you that 4 gigs is enough for a vast majority of the people out there but there is a difference when using 8. and no, i'm not a gamer by any standard.

See the screenshot below (warning, huge), the red line in the taskmanager is the amount of memory used by SuperFetch when you have 8Gb like I do, no matter how much you have, with vista it is NEVER too much. 6.6Gb of data in superfectch means it's 6.6Gb you'll never have to wait for while it's read from the Disk as would be the case with less ram.

oh and yea, it's future-proof if such a term exists, this is 8Gb of DDR3 PC1600

post-7606-1212343802_thumb.jpg

I agree. I have 5 gigs of ram and with Vista 64bit, with the super Prefetch, EVERYTHING you ever open is loaded into RAM. So everything you open is Blink speed. You can never have too much ram.

If you can is good, because you dont to change the memory in the foreseable future, but if is DDR2 i dont thinks is the best cuz DDR3 with better velocity is better with that cantity of RAM. Finally you can have that RAM but still you need a pagefile, cuz some software like vist use it. I think 100 buck is nothing but you have to see if really need it and that 100 dolars cant be put in something better.

See around.

What?

Thanks for that screenshot Arkos.

Yeah Superfetch is exactly what i had in mind. Currently with 3GB i have 2GB cached.'

My RAM will be DDRII-800 PC6400, and the cpu is Core 2 Duo E7200 3MB, i hope that is fine enough?

Also 1TB harddisk + my own 500gb :D i cant friggin wait.

There goes a point where too much ram is just too much ram for this time....

Unless you do advanced 3d imaging, photoshopping and flash animation at the same time while encoding a video and compressing big files all at once, that really is too much...

4GB would be enough unless you do the activities listed above

On a desktop, i'd definately go for 4GB of fast RAM rather than 8GB of slow RAM....

I don't get any of you and saying "4gb is enough" or "4gb is overkill" how would you know? lol...

are you basing this on your own experience because this person could very well use their computer differently than you people do.

I've had 8GB in my computer for a year now and i fail to see how it's "overkill" or "overcompensation for something else"

i've maxed out my motherboard because i can..

If you want 8gb then go for it. it'll be the best purchase you've made yet!

Thanks for the answer freeza.. But you sure that 4GB of fast ram wont do just as good or better?

Does anyone know if they'll even fit on this motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3 motherboard (PCI-E, FSB1333MHz, Intel P35 chipset) ?

If not, then it'll be 8GB

If you don't know for sure that you need more than 4G of ram, then you don't. You can spend the money for it, but probably won't do you any good. x64 Vista with 4G is the ticket. There are not many who have a need for more than that. That will change in the future, but for now that's the deal unless you have special needs. More ram is always better, but there is also overkill...

On a desktop, i'd definately go for 4GB of fast RAM rather than 8GB of slow RAM....

You probably won't notice the difference unless you are benchmarking. I would go for 8GB if the price is the same.

Virtualisation will definitely make use of the memory though, which I use occasionally.

Thanks to superfetch, Vista makes good use of all available RAM. I'm very happy how well Vista performs with 8GB installed.

94060658wl0.th.jpg

Edited by ManMountain

Just to throw it out there since no one has said it yet (even though I'm certain most of you already know): x86 XP/Vista cannot use the entire 4gb of RAM. I believe it uses up to 3.12gb, but I'm not sure. So, even if you stick with 4gb you'll need to get a x64 edition OS. Just a heads up to the OP.

My opinion on the 4gb vs 8gb issue:

Build your computer with 4gb and use it for a little bit to see how it goes. Like another poster already said: check your peak charge, and if it's higher than your total memory then buy more RAM. Otherwise, don't bother. Stating whether 4gb or 8gb is better is completely dependent on how you use your computer. So the only way to find out how much you need need is to start using your new computer.

I have 4GB in my laptop, and yes, i am aware of the whole x86/x64 with 4gb+ ram...

Well, im way to lazy to make my own pc so