How long does a Mac usually last?

Sorry about the G3 comment . . . Leopard DOES NOT run on G3's. Musta been thinking about Tiger . . .

General requirements

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

512MB of memory

DVD drive for installation

9GB of available disk space

Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

Some features require Apple's .Mac service; fees apply.

----------------------

For further reading:

http://www.pbcentral.com/columns/hildreth_...e/g3retro.shtml

Picking up an iMac 24" 3.06 ghz 4gb ram nvidia geforce 8800 GS 512mb gddr3 today at next byte ^^ hopefully will last 3 years

I just got one a few weeks back, with 4gb of ram this thing flys, runs crysis quite well if you care :)

Although I can't get my speakers to sound right in windows when I use boot camp. It sounds fine in vmware but when I boot into it, all muffed. Really lame..

I just got one a few weeks back, with 4gb of ram this thing flys, runs crysis quite well if you care :)

Although I can't get my speakers to sound right in windows when I use boot camp. It sounds fine in vmware but when I boot into it, all muffed. Really lame..

That could be caused by the sound drivers, which version of Windows are you running in Boot Camp? Perhaps there is a setting in the Control Panel which can help fine-tune your audio experience under Boot Camp.

I dunno, I used to think they were better machines, but my girlfriend's laptop doesn't even think a battery exists anymore and it keep randomly starting up and going into standby. My friend bought a 24" imac a few months ago and it kept fogging up the glass in one corner then eventually it melted the screen itself. He got a new one from apple. This one again lasted a little while then would just keep locking up for no reason. Didn't matter what programs were running or anything. He RMAed it, and again got a brand new machine (something really must have been wrong with the old one). As soon as he got this one he listed it on ebay. He's not buying a mac anymore.

I doubt my girl will buy one either, because they're just so expensive. She can get a MUCH better laptop for her money going the PC route than apple.

One of the reason why i decided to get a Macbook Pro is because i can use it for the next 3 years easily or even more. This is because of reliable hardware by Apple plus i know that the next Mac OS won't be having a steep system requirement. If Leopard wants a minimum of 512mb Ram like right now, the next one wont ask 2GB atleast. In the next 3 years i will max out my ram too so in a way its all good because i don't plan to game

That could be caused by the sound drivers, which version of Windows are you running in Boot Camp? Perhaps there is a setting in the Control Panel which can help fine-tune your audio experience under Boot Camp.

I'm using XP, I've tried the official bootcamp drivers, I've even manually gotten them from the manufacturer and nothing seems to fix it. I've read about people having similar problems in Vista and their methods to fix it haven't helped me.

I've got a G4 867 (Quicksilver) that's pushing 7 years old and while I do my DV work on a G5 Quad now, it's great as an HTPC, for emulation, and to plug in dance mats and run StepMania.

Oh, and I have a nice, fat iTunes library with the G4 connected to the stereo speakers for parties or chilling.

There's a lot of room to keep a Mac as a primary system, but even if you deem that impractical, there's a lot of versaility in older Macs. This is especially true given the UNIX base of OS X. Web server, file server, streaming media server with VLC, media center with CenterStage/BackStage...

Why the hell do you "Mac Users" think you are a part of some different computer society? You have Intel CPUs now, you use RAM like everyone else, you use hard drives, like everyone else. They just look pretty. Depending on what you do, a PC OR Mac can last you 1 year to 5 years.

Why the hell do you "Mac Users" think you are a part of some different computer society? You have Intel CPUs now, you use RAM like everyone else, you use hard drives, like everyone else. They just look pretty. Depending on what you do, a PC OR Mac can last you 1 year to 5 years.
I've got a G4 867 (Quicksilver) that's pushing 7 years old and while I do my DV work on a G5 Quad now, it's great as an HTPC, for emulation, and to plug in dance mats and run StepMania.

You were saying?

Even those Macs which do use Intel procs have a different OS with some application software that isn't available on Windows, Linux, or other platforms. OSX86 is a way to get those benefits but it's not a straightforward process to get OSX86 running, so for the time being there are a few differences between Macs and standard x86 PCs.

That said, I'm not fond of the "boys' club" mentality among some Mac users. They're different computers, but they're still computers.

You were saying?

Even those Macs which do use Intel procs have a different OS with some application software that isn't available on Windows, Linux, or other platforms. OSX86 is a way to get those benefits but it's not a straightforward process to get OSX86 running, so for the time being there are a few differences between Macs and standard x86 PCs.

That said, I'm not fond of the "boys' club" mentality among some Mac users. They're different computers, but they're still computers.

Alright I'm sorry, I jumped the gun. He isn't running an Intel processor. The life cycle shouldn't be dramactically defferent from a PC to Mac though, that is my main point. It just flustered me a little bit...

Alright I'm sorry, I jumped the gun. He isn't running an Intel processor. The life cycle shouldn't be dramactically defferent from a PC to Mac though, that is my main point. It just flustered me a little bit...

The life cycle isn't dramatically different, but under certain circumstances Macs can experience a greater degree of longevity due to the fact that the closed hardware platform enables Apple to greater optimize their software to the Mac hardware.

Also, the OP actually is running an Intel chip. I quoted myself when I had talked about my PPC systems. Same general rule applies, though - closed hardware platform allows greater optimization. Of course this doesn't apply to OSX86.

• 1 year later...

Those of you who upgrade your mac every 4-5 years:

Are you upgrading to a whole new machine every 4-5 years?

Are you upgrading just because itll be nicer to have a faster better running more up to date machine or because the thing just isnt working anymore?

Thanks!

This question is ironic. Mac are PC and last as long as PC. Were you expecting Mac to be magical?

+1

In terms of components, the only difference between a Macbook pro or some other laptop from another manufacturer is the case and probably the display. there is absolutely no other difference.

It is funny though. You may run in to people who would claim that cpu in a mac is somehow special. LOL

Such a question is completely unrelated to whether it is a Mac or PC. It all depends on what you use your computer for.

Yeah, exactly. Unless you consider the cost of a Mac makes a user less likely to upgrade as often as they would with a cheeper PC... :unsure:

My work laptop is a PC, and it has lasted me 7 years :p. I've upgraded my home "gaming" desktop PC on average every 3-4 years. I bought my first mac mini in 2005, and about 5 years later I don't find it very useful (although i still use it as a music player in my living room). I bought my Macbook Pro this last December and I hope to use it at least 3-4 years hopefully before getting an itch for a new one.

Computing in general has hit a bit of a performance snag. Processors are still getting faster, but the vast majority of applications are not really getting that much better. I think that people (in general) will be getting more years of satisfying performance now looking forward than they ever have. Certainly won't see the leaps and bounds we saw in the 90's.

• Like 1

many good points. Upgrading is only required if its a major step up and if you use your pc for gaming. Heck...I currently still use an inspiron 9300 that I had since 5 years ago and until last year before crysis, I was still able to play every game at good graphics at good frame rates. Its after 5 yrs and the conception of HD videos that the intel celeron 1.86ghz does cut it anymore and I am waiting for the next generation mac book pro with a geforce 200 or 300M series video card and usb 3.0 to upgrade. If the new macbooks don't offer that...I might stick with a new pc.

The life cycle isn't dramatically different, but under certain circumstances Macs can experience a greater degree of longevity due to the fact that the closed hardware platform enables Apple to greater optimize their software to the Mac hardware.

Also, the OP actually is running an Intel chip. I quoted myself when I had talked about my PPC systems. Same general rule applies, though - closed hardware platform allows greater optimization. Of course this doesn't apply to OSX86.

under some other conditions, that lifespan may be pretty short. If someone is interested in accessing video content on the internet netflix, hulu, youtube .... well, a pc has a much longer lifespan.

If you take care of it well

Macs usually last more than 6 years. The cool thing about waiting that long each hardware progression is a major transition in technological achievement.

I personally upgrade quite often. Perhaps every 2 years? I tend to refresh my whole Apple equipment. iPods, Macs, Software etc in one sitting.

I hand down my old equipment to family members.

So my mothers sporting a White MacBook, and my sister has an Alu MacBook Pro. :3 My ex girlfriend (erg) has an iPod Classic, my sister has a Nano, my best friend has a Nano, my OTHER friend has a Nano, and my best friends ex-boyfriend (eerg) has a Nano.

:blink: Aint I just a nice guy.

Few issues i have with this:

• Macs are all in one and apart from the Mac Pro you cant just slot in a graphics card or a CPU as easily as you can with a PC so of course Macs last long because they HAVE to.
  • Main reason why people upgrade PCs every 6-12 months are two fold.
    1. Some people like to be on the bleeding edge who want or need the latest and fastest CPU or Graphics card which helps in their production work, its no fun being stuck on an old CPU if you can buy a much faster one and slot it in and have higher productivity.
    2. Not trying to 'diss' Macs but lets face it they are hardly cutting edge gaming machines, another of the main reasons to upgrade every 6-12 months is so you can run the latest games in the highest quality settings.

You don't HAVE to upgrade a PC more than a Mac and Macs don't last longer than PCs do, you just have to make do with what you've got with a Mac, you can do the exact same thing with a PC. My PC is over 3 years old now and apart from the £100 i just spent on a new graphics card that 3 year old computer still ran Windows more than perfectly and the latest games in the highest resolution in acceptable and playable frame rates.

Don't mix up 'want to' with 'have to'.