Event Id's 1097, 1030, 1110 - Server 2003

Hello Guys,

Having problems, I am quite new to setting up Windows Server 2003, got it so that my user can log on with the roaming profile and My Documents are there and settings are saved to the profile correctly.

Problem #1: On the log on screen, i get a box pop up saying "Creating a list of Domains" and takes ages to complete (i can get round this by Ctrl + Alt + Del).

Problem #2: None of the GPO's take affect, i presume this is because of the Error on the Event ID's. These Events are listed on the XP Event Viewer, not the Server.

Any Ideas on how to fix this guys, or what may be causing it??? Appreciate any help you guys can give

Joe

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Userenv

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1097

Date: 6/6/2008

Time: 11:11:05 PM

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Computer: JOEXPFASTER

Description:

Windows cannot find the machine account, No authority could be contacted for authentication. .

Event ID: 1030

Time: 11:11:05 PM

Description:

Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by the policy engine.

Event ID: 1110

Time: 11:12:55 PM

Description:

Attempt to determine whether user and machine accounts are in the same forest failed (The interface is unknown. ).

it's either that you are not able to contact the AD/domain possibly because of DNS setup problems (there are many posts about this problem and the solution)

or

your pc needs to be removed and re added to the domain to gets it computer account working

I think the problem may be that i do not have a reverse lookup, can anyone advise me on how to do this i dont really understand it, i have read a lot of texts about how to set it up but i still do not understand

Thanks for your reply Bobbba,

I think the problem may be that i do not have a reverse lookup.

Can anyone advise me on how to do this i dont really understand it, i have read a lot of texts about how to set it up but i still do not understand.

I have included some screenshots of my dns setup and tcp settings, i thought it might help

post-144059-1212830084_thumb.jpg

post-144059-1212830115.jpg

reverse lookup is not really compulsory. more a nice to have.

to create it, yours would be reverse lookup for 192.168.2.0 subnet 255.255.255.0

is your client's(joexpfaster) preferred dns set to the server's ip 192.168.2.17? if it isn't that would explain the problem.

Yeah my client has got the dns server set to 192.168.2.17. Just added the reverse zone lookup and that hasnt helped either.

Any other suggestions please??

nslookup also gives this error:

*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.2.17: Non-existent domain

Default Server: UnKnown

Address: 192.168.2.17

and if i do - nslookup joe-svr-01 then i get :

> nslookup joe-svr-01

Server: joe-svr-01.JOE.internal

*** joe-svr-01 can't find nslookup: Non-existent domain

Also if i dont have a reverse lookup zone i gives this error:

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.2.17: Timed out

Default Server: UnKnown

do an ipconfig -registerdns on joe-svr-01 then it should add a record for 192.168.2.17 to joe-svr-01.

only thing is, even with this working it's not going to fix your problem. the need to resolve ip to name is unimportant unlike the name to ip which is important but is working in your setup.

i would check that your xp client is has been correclty added to joe.internal. like i said before, it may also be worth removing it from the domain and re adding it.

I have tried a few times now to remove the computer from the domain. The way i went about it was deleteing it from the AD, then attempting to join it again from the xp machine. When i tried on the xp machine to unjoin the domain i got an error - The specific module was not foud. This is turning into a nightmare!

The only opther problem that i can think of is the fact that i am using a Virtual machine to run the server and client in. I have set it up to have a bridged ethernet, which means that it has its own IP address allocated from my router as if it was a separate machine.

nothing wrong with using vm's for this. it's a good way of learning.

the fact that your xp install is coming up with an unusal error message might imply a problem with your xp vm. can it ping and resolve the server names ok?

your are using XP pro for the client?

have you tried searching for the specific error?

Yeah using xp pro SP3. Pinging is fine and i can also connect to shares on the server from the client.

I might try a re install of the xp client. I got a slim version that i created, fast to install only 300mb taken up on the CD.

I have also searched fore the error but I keep finding threads with the same error but for different problems

YES!!! I created a new virtual machine and Installed XP from Scratch, The Meesage "Creating domain Lists" does not come up at all now! Which is great! I can log on fine now as i could before, but i get a different error now why the Group policies can not be used.

Event ID: 1058

Date: 6/7/2008

Time: 2:01:02 PM

Computer: JOEXP

Description:

Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=JOE,DC=internal. The file must be present at the location <\\JOE.internal\sysvol\JOE.internal\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

Event ID: 1030

Date: 6/7/2008

Time: 2:01:03 PM

Computer: JOEXP

Description:

Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by the policy engine.

Thanks for your on going help bobba! Nearly there now, I am just googling these errors as we speak

dajoebomb: I thought you might appreciate having this website handy as a future resource for EventID errors:

http://www.eventid.net

You can type in the Event ID and do a search, find your relevant entry and view comments of other users to get a more in-depth description of the problem, and how people resolve these specific errors if nessecary.

(Y)

something looks wrong to me with the path it's trying to open, it should be:

\\joe-svr-01\

not

\\JOE.internal\

I'm not sure what would have caused it to be looking for the wrong location like this.