Mac OS X Snow Leopard Discussion

Unless of course it's neither a 10.5.x or 10.x release :blink:

-Rich-

A few screenshots have already been leaked, and it very clearly says "Mac OS X 10.6" with a build of "10A96." I guess the full official name would be Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, but again, Apple tends to use 10.x and code name branding interchangeably. Sometimes they call it 10.5 and sometimes they call it Leopard.

I hate Vista. Good thing Server 08 is working with no problems. I am going to buy a new iMac just cause I need less stress in my life.

Thats why I got my MacBook

Thats why I got my MacBook

I think I might. I need a laptop cause I sold my old dv5000 and I do not want to deal with Vista and update drivers and tweaking the hell out of it. I do not mind Server 08 it works well. I just want to press the power button and get going. Here is a hell story. When I got my HP dv5000 in 2006 it took 1 hour and 20min to boot cause all the **** they loaded up and I ended up doing a full format with an oem xp disk. Then all the drives and **** ****es me off talking about.

^ you guys worry about the OS too damn much.

Just concentrate on what you want to accomplish.

I cant when the os is slow as hell and has tons of crap I do not want.

They're not talking about ZFS anywhere. It's not official, but I am also 100% sure it will make it in the final, because if they are looking at "performance and optimization", ZFS is the way to go.

Now, what crap are you talking about in Leopard? It's not bad at all, except these stupid MS trials of Office. But yeah, the OS is very laggy and needed these optimizations bad. So I'm really looking forward to it. Just when you resize a window, you can see that it's laggy, compared to Windows.

I think they need a new component which is an equivalent of Windows System Restore. Most users aren't going to spend a few more bucks to get an external HDD for Time Machine. The feature is great but a little impractical, a great backup solution but a lame roll back tool.

They're not talking about ZFS anywhere. It's not official, but I am also 100% sure it will make it in the final, because if they are looking at "performance and optimization", ZFS is the way to go.

Now, what crap are you talking about in Leopard? It's not bad at all, except these stupid MS trials of Office. But yeah, the OS is very laggy and needed these optimizations bad. So I'm really looking forward to it. Just when you resize a window, you can see that it's laggy, compared to Windows.

They're not talking about it for the client version, but the server version has it listed there as part of thea features.

I think they need a new component which is an equivalent of Windows System Restore. Most users aren't going to spend a few more bucks to get an external HDD for Time Machine. The feature is great but a little impractical, a great backup solution but a lame roll back tool.

Windows SR is one the "features" I immediately turn off when using Windows. OSX has Archive & Install.

Hmm, so ZFS would be a server-only file system? Obviously yeah it's better for servers, but I'd appreciate having it here.

What benefit would a personal system have by using ZFS, just out of curiosity?

What benefit would a personal system have by using ZFS, just out of curiosity?

Time Machine can be more efficient in terms of storage?

Disclaimer: I haven't used it even once - just going by the write up on Ars about it and how it works.

Time Machine can be more efficient in terms of storage?

Disclaimer: I haven't used it even once - just going by the write up on Ars about it and how it works.

Interesting. Well I can still see where they're coming from putting it in the server version first over the home user.

At any rate, nice to see them making OS X slimmer and faster.

Guess this means no PowerPC dropping if it's faster than before :p

Unless that's HOW they're getting some of their improved performance...by dropping legacy PPC specific code.

if you have a bunch of:

if PPC then

else

end if;

that could definitely use some improvement. This would also make the "footprint" that they talk about a lot smaller...two birds with one stone.

Unless that's HOW they're getting some of their improved performance...by dropping legacy PPC specific code.

if you have a bunch of:

if PPC then

else

end if;

that could definitely use some improvement. This would also make the "footprint" that they talk about a lot smaller...two birds with one stone.

I'm sorry, but only an idiot would write code like that. Dumping PPC support wouldn't change performance, only app size.

Well the screenshots above show they're all still UB.

Well, Time Machine is for recovering files you've misplaced or deleted. System Restore is for recovering system files that have been edited by malicious programs or general windows tardness. Another issue Mac OS X lacks :)

Windows SR is one the "features" I immediately turn off when using Windows. OSX has Archive & Install.

+1, I turn it off whenever I setup someones Machine. Thats what Recovery Console is for :D

Didn't Apple start using ZFS in Leopard?

Only read-only mode through the command line. (though they released a developer preview for read/write).

Only read-only mode through the command line. (though they released a developer preview for read/write).

ahh,

I take it Snow Leopard will have full integration of the file system then.

I just wish the next version of OSX, would not install PPC binaries if I'm using an Intel mac. (Not saying nix rosetta)

You can easily save 1+gb by removing the ppc stuff with xslimmer on a fresh install.

'..core software technologies that will streamline Windows, enhance its performance, and set new standards for quality.'

'..dramatically reduces the footprint of Windows, making it even more efficient..'

If only the above was from a Microsoft Windows 7 promo page... I respect Apple for giving people what they want.

'..core software technologies that will streamline Windows, enhance its performance, and set new standards for quality.'

'..dramatically reduces the footprint of Windows, making it even more efficient..'

If only the above was from a Microsoft Windows 7 promo page... I respect Apple for giving people what they want.

What Windows 7 promo page? Frankly, I'm really glad MS isn't talking about Windows 7 too much. When you go on about the features your new OS can do, but then don't deliver those features, it lets everyone down. I would much rather be surprised then let down.