Starcraft on Vista 64 SP1

Question

hey guys, i used to have starcraft installed on vista 64 bit a couple of months ago and then i formatted and reinstalled vista, with sp1, and i tried reinstalling starcraft today but i keep getting this error

post-132645-1213743564.jpg

has anybody else experienced this error, or know a way around it, because i know it works with 64 bit

ps, im installing it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Starcraft

25 answers to this question

tried windows xp sp2, windows 2000, and windows 98, and tried them all with "run as administrator"...i guess it has something to do with sp1 then?

You can try setting the installer to use Windows XP compatibility mode and then launching the installer as an administrator. I have not had this specific issue when installing StarCraft on Windows Vista 32-bit (x86) or Windows Vista 64-bit (x64).

i tried that, i set the compatibility to windows xp sp2 and then launched install.exe and also setup.exe (tried them both) as administrator...i used to have it installed on vista 64 bit, but then i reformatted and also installed sp1 at the time and its giving the error after sp1, but i dont see why sp1 would cause this problem :s

now i got this error when installing to %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Starcraft

Log created 04-17-2008 at 9:53pm.

Setup was unable to create the following directory:

C:

Error 0x00000005: Access is denied.

(C:\Files\Installer\setup\DiskUndo.cpp:471)

Setup was unable to create the following link:

C:\\Users\\%USERNAME%\\AppData\\Roaming\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\Starcraft\Starcraft.lnk

C:

C:\\Users\\%USERNAME%\\AppData\\Roaming\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\Starcraft\Starcraft Campaign Editor.lnk

C:

C:

C:\\Users\\%USERNAME%\\AppData\\Roaming\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\Starcraft\Starcraft Readme.lnk

C:

C:

I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP1 and it's running perfectly, so it must be an issue with the 64-bit part.... or perhaps you installed something extra.

sigh...i guess something is just wrong with my installation then...ill just wait till i have to reinstall lol...thanks for all your help

When you said you're using the administrator account, you don't mean the account that has that name do you?.... If so, then that's probably the reason.

nono, not the administrator account, im using my account (named Achal) but i have administrator rights on it, no limited

For some reason it looks as if it is trying to add files to the actual root of the main hard disk (C:\), which by default is restricted. Have you used anything such as vLite?

no never, installed vista x64 and then sp1, and then all my programs after that but havent messed with vista by editting the registry or using vLite or anything

hey guys, i used to have starcraft installed on vista 64 bit a couple of months ago and then i formatted and reinstalled vista, with sp1, and i tried reinstalling starcraft today but i keep getting this error

has anybody else experienced this error, or know a way around it, because i know it works with 64 bit

i was having the same problem with my win 7, try this: make de install and when the error appear you go to the directory where you install the game, copy the starcraft directory and paste in somewhere else, then you can click ok to the error, and the original starcraft directory will disapear but the copy you did won't, i'm hopping you can play from that...