There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

  • Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

[Boxing] Joe Calzaghe vs Roy Jones Jr


 Share

Recommended Posts

Word is that the Roy Jones Jr. vs. Joe Calzaghe mega-showdown is close to be finalized. HBO is positioning the pay-per-view for September 20th, the same date that Oscar de la Hoya and Floyd Mayweather were originally to meet. It is not clear if the fight will take place in UK or United States.

/source

Who will win this fight?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope Cal knows what he is getting himself into, he avoided Pavlik to take this fight which I would of preferred to see tbh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wanted to see that one too. Pavlik had a harder time on the second outing with Taylor. I think Cal had a better chance of causing problems for Pavlik than he will with Roy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Roy Jones Jr insists he will fight unbeaten boxing hero Joe Calzaghe at light-heavyweight this autumn.

The veteran American legend claims he and Welsh two-weight world champion Calzaghe will clash on 20 September, probably at The MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"Me and Joe are going to fight this fall and right now it's looking like 20 September," Jones told the Sun.

BBC Sport understands Calzaghe's stay at light-heavyweight means he will give up his WBC super-middleweight title.

Calzaghe could be succeeded as WBC champion by another British fighter Carl Froch who is expected to face American Jermain Taylor for the vacant title.

Calzaghe, 36, and Jones, 39, are set to co-promote their showdown which could be the final fight for both greats.

Calzaghe split with long-time promoter Frank Warren earlier this week and Jones said: "I am free and he is free and this will be the first time in a very long time that two fighters sat down and ironed out all the details themselves.

"We didn't want nobody like Golden Boy, or Frank Warren or Don King involved and we're fortunate enough to get this done our way."

Calzaghe defeated Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas earlier this year and is set to return to the Nevada desert to face Jones, another American boxing superstar, in a big-money show.

The 20 September date was initially set aside for the Floyd Mayweather Jr and Oscar De La Hoya rematch but it became available when Mayweather retired three weeks ago.

The Calzaghe camp, however, have told BBC Sport they are unaware that a confirmed date has been finalised.

Calzaghe is the king of the super-middleweight division - holding the WBC, WBA and WBO titles - but also holds The Ring light-heavyweight crown he won by beating Hopkins on points.

And the Welshman, unbeaten in 45 fights, will put that belt on the line when he takes on four-weight world champion Jones in Vegas.

Calzaghe has set his sights on fighting Jones after turning down a chance to fight fellow unbeaten star Kelly Pavlik, the WBC and WBO middleweight champion.

He told BBC Sport last week: "What a perfect way to finish, fighting one of the greats of this generation in what I expect will be my final fight before retirement.

"Not many fighters know to bow out at the right time, too many go on and on - it'll be the fight of my life."

/bbc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Joe Calzaghe will face Roy Jones Jr in New York later this year in his final fight before hanging up his gloves.

Jones, who is also expected to retire after the fight, confirmed to BBC Sport Wales on Saturday that the showdown would take place at Madison Square Garden on September 20.

The legendary American fighter also said that the pot for the lucrative farewell fight would be split 50-50 between him the unbeaten Welshman.

"We are fighting at Madison Square Gardens because it's an easier fight from over there to here," he said.

"Vegas was on the radar, but it's easier to get a flight to New York.

"When Joe fought in Vegas (against Bernard Hopkins), I ran into a lot of people who weren't happy with the arrangements and the way they had to go through all the stops to get there.

"So I wanted to make it easier for the people to come from the United Kingdom to support the fight because I know how many will be coming.

Modern era fighter

"Madison Square Gardens holds 18,000, about the same as if we were back at the Thomas and Mack Centre in Las Vegas.

"I was a fighter of the 90s, but I'm also a modern era fighter. I'm going to show people what I am.

"Everything is being split 50-50. It's straight down the middle. I wouldn't have it any other way."

Writing in his weekly column in the South Wales Argus, Calzaghe, who gave up his WBC super-middleweight belt to fight Jones in a light-heavyweight contest, said he was looking forward to fighting in New York.

"I went to New York as part of the build-up of both the Mikkel Kessler and Bernard Hopkins fights and I love the place," wrote the 36-year-old.

"I also think NY is a town where I would be very well received.

"There is a very large Italian-American population in Manhattan and that attracts me also.

"The biggest names in the sport - Ali, Leonard, Foreman, and Marciano - have all boxed at the Garden.

"It would also represent the best venue in America in order to accommodate my supporters from all over the UK."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Joe Calzaghe has hinted he may take on Kelly Pavlik for the WBO super-middleweight crown next year.

It was believed the 45-fight undefeated Welshman's light-heavyweight bout with Roy Jones Jr in New York on 20 September would be his last.

But Calzaghe has no intention of giving up his WBO super-middleweight belt.

"There is no way I am going to give up my WBO title. If I beat Jones, I might move back down to super-middleweight to face Kelly Pavlik," said Calzaghe.

"I do not have a mandatory challenger at the moment so I do not have to defend my title."

It had been believed a forthcoming bout between the WBO's leading super-middleweight contenders - Karoly Balzsay and Jean Pascal - would be for Calzaghe's belt, but their clash will be for the 'interim' WBO title.

It had been widely assumed Calzaghe's 12-stone days were over following his light-heavyweight win over Bernard Hopkins in April, a belief given extra credence by his decision to give up the WBC portion of his title.

Calzaghe, 36, is the longest reigning champion in his sport, having defended the WBO belt 21 times, four short of the record for consecutive defences held by heavyweight great Joe Louis.

Calzaghe and Louis are two of only seven men to have held world titles for over 10 years.

In a letter to WBO President Francisco Valcarcel, Calzaghe wrote: "I am proud to be the WBO's super-middleweight champion and wish to remain so.

"Following my proposed contest against Roy Jones Jr it is my intention to defend the WBO title."

Calzaghe had previously hinted the fight against Jones would be his last, and he had no desire to fight Pavlik, who hammered his stablemate Gary Lockett to third-round defeat in New York last month.

Meanwhile there could be more frustration ahead for Nottingham's Carl Froch, who has been ordered to fight for the WBC crown vacated by Calzaghe, against former world middleweight king Jermain Taylor.

Although the WBC have extended the deadline for purse bids for the contest, Taylor's team have made no secret of the fact they prefer the more lucrative and probably softer option of a clash with former Calzaghe victim Jeff Lacy.

Newbridge-based Calzaghe is currently big box office in the United States following his points win - and debut at light-heavyweight - over Hopkins in Las Vegas in April.

At the end of June, Calzaghe split with long-term promoter Frank Warren saying he would manage himself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ITS OFF!

Joe Calzaghe's planned September super-fight with Roy Jones Jr in New York has been postponed.

Calzaghe's camp confirmed to BBC Sport that the unbeaten Welshman has injured his right hand in training and will not be ready.

It was announced last week that the 36-year-old was to meet American great Jones Jr at New York's Madison Square Garden on 20 September.

A new date for the light-heavyweight clash has yet to be decided.

The bout was due to be Calzaghe's first self-promoted showdown since his split from his long-term manager Frank Warren.

But Calzaghe has had to pull out after suffering the latest in a series of hand problems.

The two-weight world champion fought through the pain of a hand injury to demolish Jeff Lacy to unify the IBF and his WBO crown in March 2006.

Calzaghe impressed on his American debut as he came back from a first round knock-down to beat Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas in April.

The Jones Jr clash was set to be Calzaghe's last before the Newbridge fighter retires from his 15-year professional boxing career.

Calzaghe, unbeaten in 45 bouts, was king of the super-middleweight division - holding the WBC, WBA and WBO titles - but The Ring light-heavyweight crown he won by beating Hopkins was to be on the line against four-weight world champion Jones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Roy Jones Jr has compared Joe Calzaghe to Rocky Marciano ahead of their clash at Madison Square Garden on 8 November.

"Calzaghe's one of the best fighters ever, one of the greatest of all time," Jones told BBC Sport Wales.

"He has a 100% record of 45-0, Marciano was 49-0. He's a true athlete I respect - we've nothing bad to say to each other, we'll give it all in the ring."

Jones, speaking at a New York media conference attended by Calzaghe, will face the Welshman at light-heavyweight.

Jones, 39, is an eight-times world champion in four weight classes, holding a record of 52 wins (38 by knock-out) and four defeats.

Calzaghe, 36, has ruled the super-middleweight division for almost 11 years and is the longest reigning current champion in boxing.

His win over Bernard Hopkins in April saw him acknowledged as the world's leading light-heavyweight, although the showdown with Jones is a non-title event.

"After Hopkins there was only one guy I wanted to fight," said Calzaghe, who had said before flying to New York that he didn't want his media sessions with Jones to be "too cosy".

"I've followed Roy's career since his amateur days and have always been a fan.

"To have what will probably be my final fight in the best fight venue against one of the greatest boxers of the last 20 years - it's all I've got left to achieve.

"The Hopkins fight was tough because all he wants to do is hold and hug you all night.

"I've always had a problem with rushing in, but I've learnt from that against Hopkins - Roy's a good counter puncher and he expects me to throw 1,000 punches.

"I know that Roy will come to fight, he's got tremendous hand speed, power and a great boxing brain.

"All I can say is don't miss this, it's going to be the fight of the year."

After completing their media duties in New York, Calzaghe and Jones fly to Los Angeles, with the high-profile pair then scheduled to visit the UK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wonder who he slapped to injure that fragile hand. Anyways, wasn't much up for this one in the first place. Like the BHop vs Pavlik fight. Like Hopkins but boy I'm just tired of watching him already. Too defensive now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Joe Calzaghe has decided to give up his WBO super-middleweight belt to allow him to concentrate on his light-heavyweight bout with Roy Jones Jr.

The decision brings an end to the 36-year-old Welshman's reign after nearly 11 years.

"It was a tough decision to make, relinquishing the belt, I can tell you that without hesitation," Calzaghe said in his South Wales Argus column.

"It's just too hard to get down to the 12 stone super-middleweight limit."

Calzaghe won the vacant WBO belt against Chris Eubank on 11 October 1997 in a thrilling 12-round decision, a fight the Welshman maintains is still his hardest contest.

Twenty-one defences over 10 years, 11 months and two weeks followed before Calzaghe made his decision on Friday - giving up the belt that was his first and most precious title.

He was the longest reigning current champion in boxing.

The Newbridge fighter has won the IBF, IBO, WBA and WBC versions of the super-middleweight crown - against the likes of Jeff Lacy and Mikkel Kessler - to cement his place as the undisputed king of the 12-stone division.

He has opted not to defend those titles, rather than make unwanted defences against mandatory challengers that would have excited neither Calzaghe nor the paying public at the box office.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Calzaghes got a new website with all the most up to date news about the fight and his training!! looks like they're putting a webcam in his gym as well!! :shiftyninja:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

^As a Calzaghe fan, you should ask your fighter to take fights real boxing fans would like to see. In fact, he has a new site www.calzaghe.com, you might be able to email them your opinions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Joe wants to retire undefeated, that is the honest answer to the question about Pavlik. He is 36 and Pavlik is 26. He will pick smart fights for him, cash in and retire. The only way you'll see him fight Kelly is if Roy beats him and his record is already blemished.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Calzaghes got a new website with all the most up to date news about the fight and his training!! looks like they're putting a webcam in his gym as well!! :shiftyninja:

"Just saw this post, I'm working with team Calzaghe on the new site and there's loads of great content up and a lot more coming soon!!

We're running competitions to win exclusive prizes, at the moment there's a chance to win tickets, flights and accommodation for the fight in New York, we've also got exclusive content from Joe and his team including videos of Joe training and Q&A sessions with the man himself, there's more great content coming soon so keep checking back!

GO JOE!

www.calzaghe.com"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For all you Calzaghe fans - ive just found this on another forum - think they will be putting footgae up on the new official website too!! looks good

Joe Calzaghe ? My Life Story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to let you all know the competition to win a trip to New York and tickets to the fight is closing tomorrow night (11:59pm 24/10/2008).

If you want to be in for a chance of winning now is your last chance to get involved!!

Also there's some great new content up, the store in now open to buy your own GO JOE t-shirt to show your support and there's plenty more coming soon so keep checking back.

Good luck from Team Calzaghe!

www.calzaghe.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.