Has this game just gotten totally off track and insane... I mean I get the whole making money on items part, but half of the stuff in it now isn't traditional to the game. I stopped playing it a few months ago, just over it I guess..

Basically all you get is some cosmetic items. If you don't care about those, then you don't have to pay for it.

i dont see anywhere where it says cosmetic.

When you complete an entire ToDB, you'll receive a random rare item reward and an upgraded ToDB of a higher rank, allowing you to complete each Mission again to earn more items.

Mann Up Mode allows you to earn special item rewards and track your progress through various Missions

The FAQ is the only place i got what man up mode is, is there another location that says what rewards are given. as i have rarely gotten hat's from TF2, i mostly get upgraded weapons and gear ( sniper Bow, Baseball bat, sandvich, etc, etc )

and the rewards are only given on the Official Servers accessed by Tickets, not the regular

think i found it in the Bounty section, but its vague

Mann Up Mode will get you rare item drops that respectfully commemorate your war against the robots by draping pieces of them on yourself

It says right in the FAQ they're only cosmetic.

Q: Do the new items earned in Mann Up Mode affect gameplay?

No. All items unique to Mann Up Mode are cosmetic. They are equippable throughout all of TF2, and are tradable.

Has this game just gotten totally off track and insane... I mean I get the whole making money on items part, but half of the stuff in it now isn't traditional to the game. I stopped playing it a few months ago, just over it I guess..

I know what you mean. I was playing it almost every day 2 years ago and back then it was loads of fun with only a few custom weapons. Though after a while I lost interest in the game due to all the weapon updates and whatnot. It was more fun when it was "simple". Though right now I'm playing it every now and then with only vanilla weapons.

I spent $9.00 on Tour of Duty tickets, and so far I've spent 20+ hours on MvM, and I have yet to finish all the missions.

A movie ticket, $10, only gives you around 3 hours of entertainment, while $9.00 on TF2 give you around 20+ hours of entertainment. I hope Valve continues this mode of business going forward for all their games; it's well worth it.

I spent $9.00 on Tour of Duty tickets, and so far I've spent 20+ hours on MvM, and I have yet to finish all the missions.

A movie ticket, $10, only gives you around 3 hours of entertainment, while $9.00 on TF2 give you around 20+ hours of entertainment. I hope Valve continues this mode of business going forward for all their games; it's well worth it.

you just compared oranges with apples. People fail to see the bigger issue here or issues in general. Lets start off with they release a large update at the end of the week then fail to support it thru the whole weekend - basically 3 days of crashing servers that are running anything BUT MvM. This issue alone raises suspicions that they did it on purpose to get more sales on their tickets for those "Official" servers that they must be used on - also controlled and run by Valve. I run a few servers and I have to say I'm more than p1ssed cause I've lost so many players and impressions from players on each of them that I stand to lose a bunch of money even over 3 days (so far). You shouldn't have to purchase tickets to play this mode in this way if you purchased the game - just plain and simple!

Those items "strange" in quality are being trade for so much its unreal, my other guess here and I've been right a lot lately is since they haven't released a crate for the last month or more that you can bet the next few crates will have these strange weapons in them which will really p1ssed off players.

But regardless, for a company like this to release an update that breaks nearly everything else with the game then go home for the weekend is unacceptable.

I dont think you can compare the two since you dont have to pay to get hours of entertainment in TF2. You are only paying for accessories not hours. I have played and finished all the missions except Mannworks on endurance. The only way to keep it from getting boring is to try diffrent stats on weapons. Beggar's Bazooka with fast reload and extra clips maxed out is crazy with the buff banner. I wish i could max out everything on the Bazooka, faster firing speed, fast projectile speed, quick reload, extra clips (can hold up to 11 rockets), extra ammo, extrea damage, and health on kills would be insane. If you dont like the Bazooka use the black box or direct hit, there is little reason to use the standard rocket launcher if you can add extra clips to the black box to fire more than 3 shots before reloading and It feels like the Direct Hit has a bigger blast radius on MvM.

I don't plan on spending money on these Tour of Duty tickets etc. I'm just playing the Boot Camp mode, and having fun.

So a regular in the server I play in wanted to do the Mann up mission and gave out tickets for people who wanted to join. I got a ticket and bought a voucher for the game so everyone gets an extra item as a thank you and another person used a voucher also. At the end of the game I got default pin that keeps track of how many mission you completed, Mad Milk, Pretty Boy's Pocket Pistol, and Nessie's Nine Iron........ Wow regular items, did not expect that. I was thinking it would only be the new misc stuff and maybe the new weapons or hats if im lucky. Only one person got a hat everything else was regular weapons no new MvM stuff at all.

Good one Gabe :/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello,

This game is perfectly fun to play free.......The hours Ive spend building is increible.

Sorry for the long bump; Just looking something for TF2 and came across this page :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Is there a reason I find backstabbing while cloaked so difficult (PC)? I see people backstabbing like crazy but uncloaking is so difficult and I think people even do it faster than me (Steam forums says there is no say to cloak/uncloak faster).

Expert spies, pitch in!

• 3 weeks later...

Recently went premium (hate to bump antique threads), but I have yet to receive anything good. The best thing I've been able to trade for is a strange lollichop, and it sucks. Badly. I'm loving the trade system so far, though...I'm out of item drops until this Thursday. :'(

Man this thread died...

I've totally lost track at what new items have surfaced, or how many new updates have gone by! Still play this game whenever I have the attention span to spare ;)

Unfortunately it seems the game is dying a really slow death within the community, as formerly busy communities are dying off one by one, or having lots of empty servers sitting idle.

Yes sir, the thread did die, for the most part. But yes, I see that a lot...lots and lots of empty servers just sitting there, idle. I just recently got my nephew playing this game, and he loves it! I started a LAN server for the both of us to play, and to be 10 years old, he's really good at it, surprisingly! I do regular on an idle or fight server, and although there is no point to it, except for idling for drops, it gets pretty wild sometimes. Earlier I was on, and I had just barely missed a guy who emptied out his entire backpack, giving all of his items away so he could start from scratch. I was sad to have missed that, because I just went premium last friday, and I don't have hardly anything in my backpack due to when I was still F2P, I had to delete items in order to make room for more stuff. I still enjoy it, however, when I have time to play. I just wish I'd have been on at that particular time, lol, because it's going to be a while before I can afford any crate keys...which I've never even opened a single crate...and I have two, right now, just sitting in my inventory, wasting space. I wish keys dropped for premium players, but I guess I can just keep on wishing, lol! :)

I am sad that I missed the Halloween event and some other stuff. At the beginning of October I moved out to the country only fifteen to twenty minutes outside the city. So I've been stuck using my parents satellite connection via wifi since I moved and latency with satellite is anywhere from 750ms to 2000ms. I just bought a 3G/4G hotspot through Virgin mobile and will activate it when it arrives next week, hoping it will work well enough that I can play TF2 without much lag.I tried getting DSL in October, I got the runaround with Verizon and resellers and it took a Verizon tech to come out and verify that I couldn't get dsl because I was too far away from the dslam.

I am sad that I missed the Halloween event and some other stuff. At the beginning of October I moved out to the country only fifteen to twenty minutes outside the city. So I've been stuck using my parents satellite connection via wifi since I moved and latency with satellite is anywhere from 750ms to 2000ms. I just bought a 3G/4G hotspot through Virgin mobile and will activate it when it arrives next week, hoping it will work well enough that I can play TF2 without much lag.I tried getting DSL in October, I got the runaround with Verizon and resellers and it took a Verizon tech to come out and verify that I couldn't get dsl because I was too far away from the dslam.

I dunno if i'd recommend playing a shooter on a mobile connection. While pings are much better than satellite on 3g/wimax(no sprint LTE around here yet, afaik, so i can't speak on that), they're still typically 130ms or higher to same state servers according to speedtests i've done. And that's a bit high for trying to play a shooter enjoyably.

I stopped playing this a game close to a year after it became f2p and the weapons were starting to become ridiculous. I enjoyed the time when I could play on my favorite servers and play with those who were regulars and were often on the same servers as myself. A lot of the time we would use our mics and have a good conversation or laugh. Now, everyone who used to be on those servers are gone and it feels like a dead community. I know that there are still plenty of people who still play but the majority play the game because it is free and there isn't a better free alternative. I know I'll sound like a jerk but simply put, f2p is really for those who can't afford a proper game imo. Not saying they are all bad but I find you will have a much better experience if it is a paid game.

Now I play BF4 but it is nowhere near as much fun as TF2 was when it was at its prime. The simple matter is that I don't feel a connection to the community and it is not as easy to introduce and meet new people or regulars. Whereas in TF2, everyone was just there to have a blast.

Hello,

I know I'll sound like a jerk but simply put, f2p is really for those who can't afford a proper game imo. Not saying they are all bad but I find you will have a much better experience if it is a paid game.

TF2 was 30 or 50 bucks right? I could afford that but I just don't feel like buying (this) a game which in what time frame Ill get bored, not play it anymore, and be done with it, having it there collecting dust.

This is a exception as it is a multiplayer online game but still...

Valve knew there were going to be kids going crazy on mic so that's why they put the mute option.

Also, dead servers? Um, I don't know what shows up on your server list but there are literally at least 50 full servers each time I get online with a lot of maps to choose from. I play literally daily.

I dunno if i'd recommend playing a shooter on a mobile connection. While pings are much better than satellite on 3g/wimax(no sprint LTE around here yet, afaik, so i can't speak on that), they're still typically 130ms or higher to same state servers according to speedtests i've done. And that's a bit high for trying to play a shooter enjoyably.

I wish I had another option but apparently if you don't live right in the city you're screwed as far as internet and even city water and sewer goes. I can't even get 4G, it's going to be either 2G/3G, 3G if I am lucky and the most ridiculous part is I only live no more than twenty minutes outside the city/village (around 6 miles) and there are a decent amount of homes around me. I am hoping for the best and that my ping is no more than 100ms, 100ms - 200ms would be alright for some classes that use hitscan weapons. Playing Sniper, Spy, Engineer, Heavy, Medic, Scout should be quite possible, however playing as Demoman, Soldier or Pyro may not work all that well.

I stopped playing this a game close to a year after it became f2p and the weapons were starting to become ridiculous. I enjoyed the time when I could play on my favorite servers and play with those who were regulars and were often on the same servers as myself. A lot of the time we would use our mics and have a good conversation or laugh. Now, everyone who used to be on those servers are gone and it feels like a dead community. I know that there are still plenty of people who still play but the majority play the game because it is free and there isn't a better free alternative. I know I'll sound like a jerk but simply put, f2p is really for those who can't afford a proper game imo. Not saying they are all bad but I find you will have a much better experience if it is a paid game.

Now I play BF4 but it is nowhere near as much fun as TF2 was when it was at its prime. The simple matter is that I don't feel a connection to the community and it is not as easy to introduce and meet new people or regulars. Whereas in TF2, everyone was just there to have a blast.

The communities are still there, and they're not the Valve official servers where jackasses run amok. The guys there do engage in amusing banter and it's great when there are admins on at the same time. I do agree that these communities are dying off and it's harder to find a good community server to camp out in.

• 6 months later...