[Help]Is it possible to write Linux boot info to MBR?

I'm currently running windows XP and I want to install ubuntu as well (i.e. to dual-boot) but as I don't have much hard drive space I want to install Ubuntu to my portable hard drive. So I was wondering whether its possible to include the Linux boot-up to the windows MBR instead of the windows boot-up being written on to the GRUB? If not I have to plugin in the portable hard drive even I want to use windows only.

• 1 month later...
I'm currently running windows XP and I want to install ubuntu as well (i.e. to dual-boot) but as I don't have much hard drive space I want to install Ubuntu to my portable hard drive. So I was wondering whether its possible to include the Linux boot-up to the windows MBR instead of the windows boot-up being written on to the GRUB? If not I have to plugin in the portable hard drive even I want to use windows only.

is this possible with Mandriva 2008 spring ?

Yes, you can add any Linux into the Microsoft boot.

Just remember it is a bit more work than letting GRUB set up dual booting.

Here's the guide I used :

http://www.aboutdebian.com/dualboot.htm

Under the "To Use NTLDR" section

well i thought of giving this a try

Yes, you can add any Linux into the Microsoft boot.

Just remember it is a bit more work than letting GRUB set up dual booting.

but the steps to installing mandriva is slightly different :(

would you happen to know any tutes?

The concepts are all the same, though, regardless of the exact Debian/Fedora/Mandriva steps.

This is the document I used back when I dual-booted.

http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

Granted, it's been about 6 years, and this is a pre-Vista document. Vista uses a different boot system, so these documents do not apply.

But you write the GRUB boot info into the first sector of your boot partition (not the MBR of the drive), then copy the bytes into a file that you can place on your Windows "C:" drive. Then add in a Boot.ini line to point to that GRUB file.

Granted, it's been about 6 years, and this is a pre-Vista document. Vista uses a different boot system, so these documents do not apply.

But you write the GRUB boot info into the first sector of your boot partition (not the MBR of the drive), then copy the bytes into a file that you can place on your Windows "C:" drive. Then add in a Boot.ini line to point to that GRUB file.

I don't even think Vista has a boot.ini.

Oh wait, just checked, yes it does, for legacy purposes.

BTW - I don't think Mandriva uses GRUB. Last time I used it (back in 2006), I remember it having LILO.