Is Linux actualy usable?

thealexweb

I know quite a bit about computers but is Linux actually usable, I mean lack of driver support is the most important thing holding it back. This is where I need your help, is there a site of where I can find a list of all the drivers that are bundled into Linux distros like Ubuntu, etc. Or where can I get them?

Please help?

Starbuck84

It all depends on what you want to do with it. I mean if you work a lot with word processors and try a little 3d modeling (Blender) or make a drawing in Inkscape, etcetera, than Linux is more than up to the task. Drivers also depend on how old your hardware is, I have a fairly new laptop and ubuntu recognizes all my hardware, I only had to install the ATI drivers (from the official ATI website) to get a little more speed in Blender. :)

Wish I could provide you with a list of all linux drivers / alternatives, sorry :)

Foub
I know quite a bit about computers but is Linux actually usable, I mean lack of driver support is the most important thing holding it back. This is where I need your help, is there a site of where I can find a list of all the drivers that are bundled into Linux distros like Ubuntu, etc. Or where can I get them?

Please help?

That thing about lack of driver support is a myth. Linux distros, like Ubuntu, have two built in ways to get software and drivers. It is either through a utility called Synaptic or through the Add/Remove section. Also, since Ubuntu is what is called a Debian variant of Linux you can get installation packages with the extension .DEB that you can click on just like you would for .EXE and the like under Windows to install programs.

BTW, take a look at the two links I have in my signature to get moreinfo.

thealexweb

I have a Netgear Wireless card, is it likely it will be supported, its called wg311t or something similar.

Hiya,

the Ubuntu Wiki has a fairly comprehensive list of supported systems and hardware components. Check it out at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport

Thanks for that list, my system is in the list, Dell Optiplex GX260, will it work then?

Daxbash5000

this question should not come into play, you are penalized 5 points for not trying a distro before asking this question and another 5 points for playing this card out of combat.

You may return your current card for one of equal or less value but only between the times of 7-9apm on September 31st

dmd3x

I've ran various Linux distros on a Dell Optiplex GX200 and I didn't have to download any additional drivers; your model is newer but I bet you will have similar luck. ;)

thealexweb
this question should not come into play, you are penalized 5 points for not trying a distro before asking this question and another 5 points for playing this card out of combat.

You may return your current card for one of equal or less value but only between the times of 7-9apm on September 31st

Erm... what, didn't understand any of that.

dmd3x
Erm... what, didn't understand any of that.

It seems to be a feeble attempt at jesting... :laugh:

...but what I think he meant is just give it a shot then let us know! ;)

Mouldy Punk
I have a Netgear Wireless card, is it likely it will be supported, its called wg311t or something similar.

Thanks for that list, my system is in the list, Dell Optiplex GX260, will it work then?

I don't know about that model, but I have a WG111T and it doesn't work under linux. Apparently it can work using ndiswrapper (windows driver installed in linux) but it was really unstable when I tried.

Bugballou

If the driver is installed on Windows, use that driver. I am using a Netgear wireless card (WG311) and have less trouble with it on a Linux distro than on Windows XP. Had a little trouble finding the driver on the Windows installation, but it was there, WG311v3.inf. Went to the Netgear site to download their latest software for Windows first, installed the software, found the driver location, copied the driver for future use, and used it with ndiswrapper. Don't need to find a Linux driver, just make the one that is available compatible with Linux. Have never had a problem with wireless chips on a PCI card, on a USB connection, or integrated, desktop or laptop, only problem ever was finding the driver Windows was using.

PCLinuxOS TinyMe 2008

Edited by Bugballou
tsupersonic

Where is markjensen?

It's very usable, otherwise a linux n00b like me wouldn't be using it

Tha Bloo Monkee

Long story short for me, Ubuntu worked great on my computer. Not only did it have all the drivers for my computer, it even had drivers installed automatically that Windows didn't have included (my wireless card worked out of the box).

My video drivers weren't the most fun thing to install, but there are step-by-step guides for just about anything you need for Linux. Just Google what you want and voila!

tsupersonic

Ubuntuforums.org <- great help there, pretty fast too. Not to say that you can't post your problems here and people will solve it, but ubuntuforums is a great resource. Just search and someone might have posted the problem you're trying to fix

redvamp128

Yes Linux is Useaable- the only thing that I found about Linux is very few devices don't work. Most were developed for windows only- (Winmodems) though now they have drivers for them.

And people that have had bad linux experiences have just not used the right linux version- I mean for some people Slackware is the only Way- While others- Redhat- or Ubuntu- Personally I like a lightweight distro's like DSL or Puppy.

It is a preference thing.

markjensen
Where is markjensen?

It's very usable, otherwise a linux n00b like me wouldn't be using it

Hey, it's 4th of July, so off celebrating the day at the pool with family. Now getting ready for the nighttime pyrotechnics. :)
Yes Linux is Useaable- the only thing that I found about Linux is very few devices don't work. Most were developed for windows only- (Winmodems) though now they have drivers for them.
That pretty much sums it up. Most hardware will just work. Most tasks can be accomplished with the software available in the repos. Some tasks are not as well suited to Linux - some new-release games, Microsoft-specific items like using VB Macros in Excel, or using Autocad. But for most users, Linux is fine.
Vista

In the last year I've reinstalled Ubuntu numerous times to get the hang of installing, removing and customizing software, but I still don't/can't feel comfortable using Ubuntu.

The software just doesn't feel as responsive and customizable as the Windows XP versions. Openoffice for example looks and feels horrible on Ubuntu, compared to XP.

I think that if the Linux distribution developers want to attract Windows users to their OS, they should concentrate on fixing bugs in the OS instead of adding even more up-to-date applications.

Screw the latest versions of Firefox and Gnome. Gnome may look better and have a different color in the latest version, but I'm still getting artifacts. Fix that and then release a new version.

James7

Ubuntu works fine for me. I love the way it looks and can be customised. All the software I use is stable and excellent. And it's all free, like me now that I use it. :D

markjensen
In the last year I've reinstalled Ubuntu numerous times to get the hang of installing, removing and customizing software, but I still don't/can't feel comfortable using Ubuntu.
Valid point. But comfort comes only with experience.
The software just doesn't feel as responsive and customizable as the Windows XP versions. Openoffice for example looks and feels horrible on Ubuntu, compared to XP.
Linux is not as customizable?!?! :blink:

OO.o is just "ok" in my book, and it uses its own rendering I believe (since it is cross-platform), so it looks a little out of place to me, too. I prefer Abiword and Gnumeric to OO.o anyhow.

I think that if the Linux distribution developers want to attract Windows users to their OS, they should concentrate on fixing bugs in the OS instead of adding even more up-to-date applications.
Got my interest on this one. What bugs in the OS did you find? Did you report them to the project owners? Did you ask about them in an online forum or to a Linux-using friend?
mitch00
Got my interest on this one. What bugs in the OS did you find? Did you report them to the project owners? Did you ask about them in an online forum or to a Linux-using friend?

Well, I'd just like to say maybe it's not always "bugs" per se, rather incomplete/bad implementations of certain features. A lot of developers seem to enjoy (and with good reason) making new and exciting stuff instead of adding that last bit of polish to existing applications. Obviously working on Compiz or the newly created gnome app Cheese for example will be a more exciting job than say working on completing iPod integration in Banshee. The iPod syncing is there, however you can't as of yet transfer playlists, which if you ask any iPod owner, is a must. It's the small things like this that I find to be the biggest obstacle in Linux usability.

We should remember though: these are free software volunteers, they can work on whatever they feel is important to them. We the users really can't (or at least shouldn't) complain that a certain feature we want isn't fully implemented. The source is all out there, if it really is something you need or would like to see: do it yourself. If you don't know how, or can't for whatever reason you can always hire someone to do it for you :)

p.s. Please don't take this as a bash on Linux/Free Software. I've been using Linux (and some BSD) exclusively at home for several years now and I've never looked back, nor am I missing anything excruciatingly important. The Banshee/iPod thing is solved by using Gtkpod hehe I'd just like to see it in Banshee too.

redvamp128

Screw the latest versions of Firefox and Gnome. Gnome may look better and have a different color in the latest version, but I'm still getting artifacts. Fix that and then release a new version.

Maybe you should try a different Distro- I have used Ubuntu but I did not like it- For many years I used Red Hat 5,7.1,8.0- Now My Distro Choice now is Puppy Linux with XFCE4.

Here is a link to most of all the Distro's that are out there-

http://iso.linuxquestions.org/search.php?w...rby=distro_name

They even have one that look a lot like Vista-

http://vixta.sourceforge.net/

Boktai1000

To be honest I was surprised when I installed Ubuntu a year and half ago, after installation I tried to find chipset drivers, etc only to realize it was already all installed, my Audio and Ethernet port for Internet in Win XP doesn't even work without the proper driver.... The only driver I actually need to install on Ubuntu is for my graphics card, which is really easy to install. I use Envy personally.

Nic

I suggest using Wubi and finding out yourself.