Read-Only unchecking, bugged?

Im having issues using a program called Rawr (its a game utility for World of Warcraft).

It errors when its trying to save a setting or database file, error says that the program cant write to the file.. Fine, I could just check off the read-only and it would work.

But here the trick, it doesnt work. Every time I check off and click Ok (even the subfolders and files etc applied to) it doesnt work, i open properties and its checked again.

The read-only option "stickys" to both my hard drives, and im unable to remove it.

Im running Windows XP sp3 as Administrator, and Ive never had this problem until I recently formatted. (I tried formatting 4 times using two diffrent copies of winxp (one SP3 and one mint one that I bought when winxp came out then update to SP3 once installed)

Help please!

Oh jesus this comes up every couple of weeks ;)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows Vista

Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories, and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System attributes of folders.

If you do not have write permissions to a file -- then check your NTFS permissions, not the read attribute of the folder.

Or atleast check the attribute of the file, not the folder ;)

Oh jesus this comes up every couple of weeks ;)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows Vista

Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories, and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System attributes of folders.

If you do not have write permissions to a file -- then check your NTFS permissions, not the read attribute of the folder.

Or atleast check the attribute of the file, not the folder ;)

Its not just the file, its two whole harddrives including every file in it. Ive checked permissions through safemode, ive tried various registry hacks, nothing seems to work and this one program just doesnt want to do what its supposed to. :/

Yes, I have permission, still I cant fix this. The specific folder and files im trying to fix has nothing to do with windows, its a stand-alone harddrive with no interferance with windows or any fancy folders, still its stuck :/

"its a stand-alone harddrive with no interferance with windows or any fancy folders"

Your kidding right??? It would be hard to believe someone could really be that dense??

I can assure you that little green box for the read only attrib on a folder is MEANINGLESS!! for writing to a file under that folder. READ the article I posted a link to!

The article goes over how you can change the read attrib of the folder if you really want to with the attrib command -- but I assure you that its MEANINGLESS on folders..

See here -- I set the read attribute on the FOLDER! -- and can still write to the file under the folder.

post-14624-1215665712_thumb.jpg

But if I set it specific on the FILE, then no I can not add stuff to it.

post-14624-1215665800.jpg

If you can not write to a file -- then either you do not have NTFS permissions to do so, or the read attribute on the file is set to read only, or the file is locked by some other process, etc.. It has NOTHING to do with the little green box in the read only on your folder properties - NOTHING!!