Yeah, That $299 Xbox 360 Is Definitely On the Way

Yeah, That $299 Xbox 360 Is Definitely On the Way

07-08-08_1041_01.jpg

There have been a few blurry screenshots floating around the web that promise a $299 Xbox 360—a $50 reduction on the current 20GB model. But these latest pictures from a Gamestop employee are by far the most conclusive. The first is of an internal document that's not to be opened until 7/13 (the Sunday before this year's E3). And in not-so-subtle letters it announces "Xbox 360 Pro Systems $299.99." The second is of all the signage:

07-08-08_1044_01.jpg

So I guess this means that Microsoft has some other things to talk about at E3.

Source

I know there wasn't much doubt, but the pictures are cool :p

The whole pricing thing confuses me, I couldn't tell you what a regular Xbox 360 costs now yet alone what it'll be after this.

What's the deal with the 60GB model? I thought it was going to replace the 20GB?

More like phase it out.

20GB goes down to $299, people are guessing 60GB comes in at $350.

Don't think we'll see any other model drop in price for now - The idea behind this $299 drop just seems to be to clear the stock and make way for the 60GB.

Although I do think a price drop for every model is on the cards pretty soon.

More like phase it out.

20GB goes down to $299, people are guessing 60GB comes in at $350.

Don't think we'll see any other model drop in price for now - The idea behind this $299 drop just seems to be to clear the stock and make way for the 60GB.

Although I do think a price drop for every model is on the cards pretty soon.

And the Core/Arcade still at $279? Or would it make sense to drop that to $249 or even $229 or something?

If I knew what was happening to the other models I might go out and buy one of the Pros. I've been meaning to get ahold of the new GTAs since Nintendo won't have it.

Still no word on an Arcade price drop?

$230 and it's a Wii killer.

Uh, no.

People buy the Wii since it's the Wii.

Yes it's affordable, but just because a hardcore console comes down to a price near the Wii is NOT going to make the casual market jump ship.

Hence MS pretty obviously going to show a lot of casual stuff this E3.

It will help, but a price drop on it's own is not going to be the Wii killer.

Uh, no.

People buy the Wii since it's the Wii.

Yes it's affordable, but just because a hardcore console comes down to a price near the Wii is NOT going to make the casual market jump ship.

Hence MS pretty obviously going to show a lot of casual stuff this E3.

It will help, but a price drop on it's own is not going to be the Wii killer.

While I'll agree it may not be a "Wii Killer" necessarily, it will without a doubt hamper Wii sales. A lot of my little cousins got Nintendo Wii's just because it was much cheaper than the 360 at the time and their parents didn't find the price warranted. If it can be priced below the Wii, you can bet parents will gravitate towards the obviously better deal for the money, or at least what they see is cheaper if they don't know anything about gaming.

While I'll agree it may not be a "Wii Killer" necessarily, it will without a doubt hamper Wii sales. A lot of my little cousins got Nintendo Wii's just because it was much cheaper than the 360 at the time and their parents didn't find the price warranted. If it can be priced below the Wii, you can bet parents will gravitate towards the obviously better deal for the money, or at least what they see is cheaper if they don't know anything about gaming.

Well here's hoping they make it permanent at $299, cause right now it's rumoured to only be to clear the 20GB for the 60GB.

The 360 has trailed the PS3 and Wii in America in 2008 for sales so far, they need a good price drop to jump it back up.

Well here's hoping they make it permanent at $299, cause right now it's rumoured to only be to clear the 20GB for the 60GB.

The 360 has trailed the PS3 and Wii in America in 2008 for sales so far, they need a good price drop to jump it back up.

nope, MS have now confirmed that the 20GB is down to $299 to get rid of stock. A 60GB model is taking its place at $349.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2...solestorage.htm

Oh well, I believe a permanent price drop will be on the cards fairly shortly!

I would think so. Looking at the US sales numbers, they need it. I'd imagine once the 20GB stock is gone, they'll drop the 60GB to $299.

Oh well, I believe a permanent price drop will be on the cards fairly shortly!

Yeah, I'd say we'd be more likely to see a drop closer to the holiday season anyways. Middle of summer doesn't seem the right time for one as momemtum in the gaming industry in general is a little slower.

-Spenser