Do HDTVs have really vivid colors?

I was just wondering, do HDTVs, especially Samsung ones, have really rich and vivid colors? The reason I ask is because I have a Samsung Slimfit SDTV and whenever I watch in component video, the colors are really rich and vivid even though the colors are only set to midpoint, ie 50. In composite mode, the colors aren't that rich. The colors are only this vivid when watching in component mode. In fact, it's so vivid, I had to lower the colors down a bit. For those of you with HDTVs, especially a Samsung one, does your HDTV have really vivid colors? If so, did you leave it that way or did you have to lower the setting?

Sorry for asking so many questions here, but there's a lot of things about TVs I don't know about and asking it on this site always seems to help.

Wow! I was kind of expecting a few responses since I'm sure 90% of people here own an HDTV. Oh well. I'm assuming either people are confused at my question or people just never noticed the colors on their HDTV before.

If my question needs more clarification, please let me know.

Yes, they have vivid colours. My Samsung has 3 profiles one called "Dynamic" which is probably what your talking about. You can change all these attributes (colour, backlight, contrast etc) on your TV anyway, so there's no problem there.

I have a Sharp Aquos, I've never adjusted the colors and everything looks fantastic. The only thing that needs to be changed is the brightness level, and the TV does it automatically.

I have a Samsung 32" 720p HDTV. A few things you may want to try.

Switch the video to Standard. Turn off dynamic contrast. Turn dynamic blacks to off or low. Set color spectrum to Auto and not Wide. I left all of the color tuning at defaults.

My TV has four settings: Dynamic, Standard, Movie and Custom. The only difference between those are just the sharpness, color temperature, and contrast. But on all settings, colors are all set to 50.

Are HDTVs supposed to have vivid colors or should people lower them down? I understand contrast and sharpness definitely need to be lowered down. But what about colors? Should they be lowered or should they be left alone to ensure better viewing experience?

I have a Samsung LCD, and I found the colors much better than my rather old CRT TV. There are several calibrations available for different uses, like Movies, Games, etc.

My problem with a lot of hdtvs now adays is the colors are to bright. I want colors that are realistic. when i go into a forest the trees are not bright green. Most grass is not bright green . which tvs have realistic colors?

Yes, they have vivid colours. My Samsung has 3 profiles one called "Dynamic" which is probably what your talking about. You can change all these attributes (colour, backlight, contrast etc) on your TV anyway, so there's no problem there.

I understand that they can be changed, but I was just wondering if the color settings are supposed to be changed or left alone. The reason I ask is because I feel that I may be losing out by lowering my color settings since I found them just too vivid.

They just make them vivid so that you can see a difference when you goto the electronics store and buy their brand TV. For intended viewing shades of most television shows and movies, you should disable (or set low) the dynamic contrasts options. I feel it's a little too dull if you disable everything, but likewise, the picture is too unrealistic with all the post processing options turned full on.

Edit: You may want to read this thread: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...dtv+calibration

Apparently people get confused because most Slimfits are HDTV. Well mine is the TXT2082 SDTV. It has a 480i Component input and when using it, colors are very rich and vivid. The reason I asked about HDTVs because I figured that if an SDTV has such vivid colors, I can only imagine that an HDTV would be just as vivid or probably more. So, I don't have any of those other fancy setting that were mentioned here. The only thing I can adjust are: contrast, brightness, color, sharpness and color temp. That's all. It's just a plain, simple SDTV. There's nothing that needs to be turned on or off.

Anyways, everyone's input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a Sharp Aquos, I've never adjusted the colors and everything looks fantastic. The only thing that needs to be changed is the brightness level, and the TV does it automatically.

I think it all depends on what TV you buy. My cousin has a Sony Bravia and the colors on his HDTV are normal. The colors weren't as rich as my SDTV. It seems like Samsung likes to make the colors vivid on their TVs.