X should mean close!

does anyone know of an app that will make the app quit when clicking the small x in the titlebar and not just close that window?

yeah yeah i know i typo'd the title....

Edited by Virtual Epiphany

Surely it would be so much quicker just to press CMD + Q? Running a separate application just for one small function like that seems like a total waste. It'll be annoying to start with but you'll soon get used to it.

X means close document.

to quit the application, Cmd+Q is the way. either that or the menu bar is your friend :)

Mind telling what reason?

You're working on a Photoshop image, you hit X to close that image, but Photoshop is still open so even though you've finished using it it's still there, so you can open another image, start a new image etc...

Also, how irritating would it be if MSN signed out every time you closed the contact list? ;)

does anyone know of an app that will make the app quit when clicking the small x in the titlebar and not just close that window?

Keep in mind, "X" does mean close, "X" doesn't mean Quit. That is a common misconception from the Windows Side of things.

Mac OS has been doing the 'Close' button for years, I don't see that changing. To quit, Command+Q.

Isn't OS X better than Windows at memory management anyway?

(Is this gonna be an 'oh hell yes' answer?)

Isn't OS X better than Windows at memory management anyway?

(Is this gonna be an 'oh hell yes' answer?)

As a general rule, any UNIX operating system is better at memory management. That being said, memory management comes down to being effected by programs more than anything, one bad program leaking memory can defeat the best memory manager out there. :)

i am fully aware of command q, but clicking the x would be nice to have as quit also. additionally, some apps do quit when you use the x so this does add some confusion.

i am fully aware of command q, but clicking the x would be nice to have as quit also. additionally, some apps do quit when you use the x so this does add some confusion.

Normally the "X" will Quit an Application that does not operate with multiple windows, multiple windows disables this functionality most of the time.

There are only a few I believe--System Preferences and such which are really "change something and be done with it" applications.

iPhoto and Photo Booth quit when the red traffic light is clicked because the idea is that without the windows on screen, the applications serve no purpose.

The reason that apps like Safari and Mail would remain open is because they are still useful even without a window. You can still receive e-mail in the background, and you may need your web browser open to open links in Mail, for example.

You're working on a Photoshop image, you hit X to close that image, but Photoshop is still open so even though you've finished using it it's still there, so you can open another image, start a new image etc...

Also, how irritating would it be if MSN signed out every time you closed the contact list? ;)

Very valid point, thanks for making it :D