Unexpected Windows Vista SP1 BSOD

Since two weeks my Windows Vista SP1 install randomly gives me a 0x0000001E BSOD after I log-on into the system. I tried to track the problem but I wasn't unable to determine its cause; Windows Vista Memory Diagnostics says that my 4gig of RAM are OK, and the same is with my Hard disks after I used SeaTools for Windows... At this point my doubts are on my ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series PCI-E card or on my Hauppauge HVR-3000 tuner card... Unfortunately in these weeks I just have the time to work at the PC two hours at night, so I can't really track down the problem.

Here you can find the details of Windows Error reporting tool:

Problem event name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Local ID info: 1040

More infos about the problem:

BCCode: 1e

BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005

BCP2: FFFFFA8006533AF0

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 0000000000000038

OS Version: 6_0_6001

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 256_1

Server info: a5da78d0-7e97-4bab-8a55-376d3ccc98fa

My specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600;

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P31-D3SL with latest bios installed;

RAM: 4 GB Kingmax - Dual channel interleaved;

Video Card: ATi Radeon HD 3600 series;

Audio: SB Audigy 2 with latest driver release;

HD: Maxtor 6L160M0; Maxtor 6Y080P0; Maxtor STM3250820 AS; Seagate ST3500320 AS; Western Digital WDC2000JD-22KLB0;

Other: Hauppauge HVR-3000; XBOX 360 Wireless receiver for windows; MS Lifecam VX-3000; Netgear WG111v3;

Here you can also find attached the last and only minidump I have found... I'd be extremely grateful if someone can check it out and give me some details =).

Thanks in advance :)

Mini070908_01.zip

when you tested your ram did you do it one module at a time or all at once?idealy you should do 1 at a time,also do you have your vista install disk?if so run the startup repair and see what happens.also the BSOD your getting is KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED & here is a link about it http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=730

hope this helps.

when you tested your ram did you do it one module at a time or all at once?idealy you should do 1 at a time,also do you have your vista install disk?if so run the startup repair and see what happens.also the BSOD your getting is KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED & here is a link about it http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=730

hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for the link, it helped me to better understand the kind of kernel fault.

I didn't tested the single memory modules, and didn't tried a repair install, but I made a clean install just 3 days ago, and the problem appeared again :(

The problem is that the BSOD doesn't appear everytime I boot, but it comes randomly, so its causes are very difficult to reproduce.

Right now I'm trying to disable the all the BDA drivers of the Hauppauge HVR Card and see what happens; later I'll try to downgrade their driver version (or wait for a new driver that should be coming really soon), and then test the single memory module. I'll let you know the results.

In the meanwhile, if someone is able to analyze the memory dump and let me know what system module gets corrupted, let me know :)

sounds like a driver,also could you provide a screenshot of your running processes?

sounds like a driver,also could you provide a screenshot of your running processes?

Sure :) When I'll be back home from work I'll make a screenshot of all the running processes. BTW disabling the Hauppauge drivers in the device manager applet didn't solve the problem... just yesterday night I had another BSOD just after logon... What a mistery :)

Here you find attached a zip file containing a screenshot of all the processes running on my PC =)

"mystery"

Whops =) Sorry

I'm not sure about driver conflict... All my device drivers are the latest version available, and by reading user opinions on the web they all seems to be quite stable... BTW I'll check out again for newer and updated driver software releases... Thanks :)

BTW I changed the order of my RAM modules on the mobo, in these days I'll check if the system will remain stable after startup and I'll do another memtest... I'll let u know :)

AllUsersProcessList.zip

I probably found the sources of the problem: it seems that ESET NOD32 2.0 since version .367 and .369 is causing the 1E STOP error. I'll try to uninstall NOD32, and switch to KAV for a while...

Hi, I've got the same BSOD randomly after logon. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that problem is in NOD32 or in ATi Catalist 8.6 driver... As I know NOD32 bild 667 was introduced eraly than Catalist 8.6 and with Catalist 8.5 the system was absolutely stable... but I'm not sure... I have BSOD since last days of June or early July 2008.

Have you any positive results after uninstall NOD32 and roll back to Catalist 8.5 driver?

Hi, I've got the same BSOD randomly after logon. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that problem is in NOD32 or in ATi Catalist 8.6 driver... As I know NOD32 bild 667 was introduced eraly than Catalist 8.6 and with Catalist 8.5 the system was absolutely stable... but I'm not sure... I have BSOD since last days of June or early July 2008.

Have you any positive results after uninstall NOD32 and roll back to Catalist 8.5 driver?

got the same issue i have EST3.0 (669) and ati 8.6

On my configuration I have not updated my Catalyst software (sticking with 8.5) because I was aware of the issues of the latest release. For people who have installed .6, I know for sure that now ATi has released a hotfix which was made for people with HD4800 series (but it works on every ATi card that the Catalyst suite supports), and is available here (just search in that page for "Radeon? HD 4800 Series Hotfix").

I wasn't aware of the 8.7 beta, so I don't know if it fixes the problem.

While Checking Wilders Security Forum (ESET official support forum), I found a thread in the NOD32 Antivirus section which describes all the issues that people are facing on startup since the .367 release (ESS has some BSOD problems on startup even since older releases). So, instead of installing KAV, I'm back with NOD32 Antivirus v. 3.650, which shouldn't cause any startup problem.

I 've visited ESET oficial forum, here is link on topic about our issue http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread....;highlight=bsod So we have software issue but I'm not sure it this NOD only problem, or specific driver version and concrete NOD version... Due to survey, I did not have problem with NOD build 677 and Catalyst 8.5 and Realtek Audio 1.93 under Vista 64 SP1...