[E3] Sony unveils 256-player MAG: Massive Action Game

Sony unveils 256-player MAG: Massive Action Game

At their E3 press conference today, Andy Beaudoin from Zipper Interactive (known for the SOCOM series) revealed a new project called MAG, short for Massive Action Game. The game will break up to 256 human players into eight-man squads fighting each other simultaneously in a total free-for-all. Characters will be able to advance their statistics as they play. More as we get it.

Joystiq

PS3 "Massive Action Game" Promising Battles Up to 256 Players

Sony saved the final announcement of its E3 keynote for a concept using the placehold title of "MAG: Massive Action Game," Unveiled by Andy Beaudoin from Zipper Interactive, MAG ? whose trailer looked like "SOCOM set 15 years into the future," according to our eyes on the scene, will immerse players in large online battles of up to 256 players. The trailer featured multiple terrain types, complex tactics, and sounds very much like a SOCOM MMO at this stage.

Character growth will be accomplished through an advancement tree, which allows players to fine tune their players throughout massive campaigns. "MAG will deliver an intense and long lasting shooter experience," said Beaudoin, who also described the game as "a workout even for the PS3 architecture."

More on this title as it develops. No release date was specified.

Kotaku

Edited by Corris

sounds like lag wars.

I always had an idea of having thousands of people online fighting in a brave heart style of combat online once everyone is using fiber optic as a standard.

Taken from when I posted about MAG earlier

MAG's concept was just that, a concept that is going to get scaled down sadly enough. Even saying "up to" 256 players means they are anticipating games with 100 people?!? How can you design a game around something that could be suitable for 4, but also 200?

If you couldn't tell the MAG announcement really got me worked up.

Yes, wet blanket I know, but the PS3 actually has games coming now so getting hyped up for this is a bit unnecessary.

Sony is probably exaggerating with all of these huge number of online players in a single game, but I guess it's only possible with the PS3's cell processor...

Interview done by Gamespot.

The guy says "Yes" to 256 people battles. Release date 2009.

Gamespot video-interviews the producer of MAG, the Massive Action Game announced exclusively for Playstation3 at Sony's E3 press conference.

Video: http://n4g.com/events_e32008/News-170804.aspx

Edited by Audioboxer

Anyone else get reminded of Huxley by this?

Yup. I honestly think this is a stupid idea. And whoever said this would be able to be done by the cell doesn't know what 256 people over an internet connection is like. Have you ever entered an are in WoW with roughly half that? It lags like ****. Even on 2D MMORPGs that number of people will lag the game up considerably, let alone 256 full 3D character models and then guns firing and most likely vehicles and explosions.

Yup. I honestly think this is a stupid idea. And whoever said this would be able to be done by the cell doesn't know what 256 people over an internet connection is like. Have you ever entered an are in WoW with roughly half that? It lags like ****. Even on 2D MMORPGs that number of people will lag the game up considerably, let alone 256 full 3D character models and then guns firing and most likely vehicles and explosions.

Watch the interview I posted on the last page.

They confirm 256 players, say the game is in a working and in a playable fashion and it's shipping in 2009.

How is it stupid? Isn't a claim this big going to be interesting to see how it pans out?

I'm pretty sure the idea isn't to have 256 people fight together in the one area :p They've already confirmed it's squad based.

Resistance 2 is doing 60 people, and those fights can overlap into the one area - It wouldn't surprise me if smaller portions of the 256, like 60, come face to face, but not the full 256 people fighting it out together.

We'll see. Don't kill the game off completely without a bit more, we don't have much to go on yet (N)

If it was A.N.Other company it would be great news. FACT.

You're actually right. Now, why do you think that is? Is it rampant fanboyism? Don't be so quick to answer yes. The real answer is based on Sony's track record. I'm sorry, but they have a history of promising so much yet delivering short of those promises on many actions. So it's no surprise here that people are reluctant to immediately buy into the hype/promises. Don't blame them, blame Sony. ;)

Personally, I hope this game is as great as they're promising it to be. If it is, that would bring me one step closer to a justified PS3 purchase. :D

People are assuming it will be 256 player in the sense of Battlefield 2. Which obviously is not possible. As Audio said, it will be squad based.

Makes me think that there will be a "battle map", then you select to join a particular battle. Then depending on the result, the "battle map" is updated and a new battle created. Slightly similar to the Total War games, if you've played them.