Same computer, Opera can't connect to the Internet, and IE does

My internet connection?setup is a little strange.?I?have?two?executables to connect to the internet,?one?of?them?is?the?Windows?XP?broadband?connection?(in the control Panel),?the?other?is?an?exe?file?provided?by?my?ISP.

If I run the Control Panel connection, but?not the ISP, the following will work:

- IE

- torrent softwares

- instant messenging

- online games

- and pretty much everything else except Opera

But if I want to browse the web in Opera (which is much faster on my slow machine), I have to run the ISP connection program, and disconnecseveral again, for several times. Opera will?not show anything?other than?a blank white?page until then.

Now I'm posting this thread using Opera. Both?of?my connection icons are visible from the taskbar, which means BOTH are connected.

I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling Opera, or resetting your Opera profile/settings. Try clearing cookies, cache, etc., as that may somehow have an effect on it. I'm not really familiar with how Opera works, but it sounds like you have something strange in your settings that requires your connection to be "just right" in order for Opera to do anything.

Other than that... I don't really know what to tell you. It seems like a kind of strange situation. If you only use your ISP executable for Opera, you might want to simply uninstall that and see if Opera will connect then; it might be defaulting to connecting via that program.

Other than that... I don't really know what to tell you. It seems like a kind of strange situation. If you only use your ISP executable for Opera, you might want to simply uninstall that and see if Opera will connect then; it might be defaulting to connecting via that program.

Either way, the ISP software is completely useless. It is just there to give you another program that wastes memory.

Either way, the ISP software is completely useless. It is just there to give you another program that wastes memory.

and possibly show ads pop-ups at times.

So yup, just throw the ISP program away and use WinXP's built-in dialer.