[UK] Driving school

Hey guys, i had 10 lessons off my mum for my 17th birthday last year, and didn't get around to start learning again after they ran out, i would like to get driving fast again and i have seen these week long driving courses etc where you have a test at the end ?

Are they worth it ?, Has anyone here ever been on one ?, Would it be easier to have 2 lessons a week or something ?

Thanks

Nicholas-c

I did one lesson in manual and passed and can drive manual fluently as well. Maybe its different to Australian tests.

It would be better two lessons a week. That what I did.

Seriously, I had 10 lessons and then left it for a while. I was really bad for a few lessons since I forgot a lot of stuff.

The crash courses are okay for quickness, but I have heard that they are not really much good on the whole purely because of quickness. It takes time to gather experience and confidence.

I did one lesson in manual and passed and can drive manual fluently as well. Maybe its different to Australian tests.

Most people that have an automatic licence here is because they couldn't drive a manual. All people here start off on manuals unless specifically requested.

the actual learning how to drive is fairly easy... getting experience behind the wheel is what you need

doing a weeks course will not get you this, i personally would not advocate them

id advise you do your lessons each week and try to get out in another car a couple of times each week with a parent sibling etc

Most people that have an automatic licence here is because they couldn't drive a manual. All people here start off on manuals unless specifically requested.

heh yeah, auto is for 'people who are too rubbish to drive manual' in the UK... however having said that my next car is going to be semi-automatic, so i can hardly talk ;)

the actual learning how to drive is fairly easy... getting experience behind the wheel is what you need

doing a weeks course will not get you this, i personally would not advocate them

id advise you do your lessons each week and try to get out in another car a couple of times each week with a parent sibling etc

Yeah, like my sister would let me drive her car :D lol

I agree with BGM completely. You may be able to control a vehicle with a week's worth of lessons, but you will definitely not be a competent driver. Even doing 20+ lessons, one a week for a period won't make you completely competent but it's a much better idea.

You need to learn to drive in dry weather, wet weather, in the dark (granted - difficult at this time of year) or you'll just be a danger to yourself and others.

... getting experience behind the wheel is what you need

Just what i was about to say ;) - I would just do a standard way (not crammed into one week) - Get experience, get confident etc.

I agree with BGM completely. You may be able to control a vehicle with a week's worth of lessons, but you will definitely not be a competent driver. Even doing 20+ lessons, one a week for a period won't make you completely competent but it's a much better idea.

You need to learn to drive in dry weather, wet weather, in the dark (granted - difficult at this time of year) or you'll just be a danger to yourself and others.

to put another spin on things though... if you already have something like a moped license then the week courses are really good.

The reason being that one would hope you have the required 'road craft' to control a vehicle and judge situations already.. you just need to brush up on the actual car part.

Same goes for learning to ride a motorbike 20 years after you passed a car test, the week courses are fantastic..

Totally agree, yes you could pass your test by the end of the week but you won't come back with any real road experience, I better just to have 1 or 2 lessons a week TBH

Nothing wrong with 2 hours of lessons a week. Ideally you want about at least 30 lessons before you take your final test.

Also what about theory have you taken that yet? That only lasts about 6 months.

You might as well go manual as well, I drive auto but for a certain reason :p

Nothing wrong with 2 hours of lessons a week. Ideally you want about at least 30 lessons before you take your final test.

Also what about theory have you taken that yet? That only lasts about 6 months.

You might as well go manual as well, I drive auto but for a certain reason :p

that 6 months shibby is actuly 2 years

OOOO, I wonder where I got the 6 months bit from. Hmmm, might it be how long you have left to send of the final documents after you passed your test?

OOOO, I wonder where I got the 6 months bit from. Hmmm, might it be how long you have left to send of the final documents after you passed your test?

nope that's 2 years also :)

I agree with the other guys. Doing the crash courses (sorry, bad joke) may be fine to get you passing the driving practical test but all you are doing is commiting everything you have learnt into short term memory. If you spend time doing things over and over it'll go into your longterm memory. I would also recommend doing 2 hour lessons because you'll cover alot more in a lesson - it'll also give you time to practice things that you aren't so good at.

On average its supposed to take around 6 months of lessons before you'll be ready to take the practical test.

Then be prepared to hand over a huge chunk of cash for insurance on your first car once you pass!

I agree with the other guys. Doing the crash courses (sorry, bad joke) may be fine to get you passing the driving practical test but all you are doing is commiting everything you have learnt into short term memory. If you spend time doing things over and over it'll go into your longterm memory. I would also recommend doing 2 hour lessons because you'll cover alot more in a lesson - it'll also give you time to practice things that you aren't so good at.

On average its supposed to take around 6 months of lessons before you'll be ready to take the practical test.

Then be prepared to hand over a huge chunk of cash for insurance on your first car once you pass!

yeah, and the rest :(

driving is such a crock of ****... when i think of the amount of money i have spent related to driving in the 7 short years i have been behind a wheel i think i prob want to slit my wrists

its just a big burning bonfire that you throw money onto ;)