'no wireless networks were found in range' problem

i just reformatted my laptop, and now i can't connect wirelessly to the internet. clicking on 'refresh network list' in the wireless network connection dialog brings up an error. wireless capabilities have been turned on (as my bluetooth mouse works).

there are no hardware or driver errors, either.

any ideas on how to fix this?

thanks!

the error is: no wireless networks were found in range. make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on. to see an updated list, click "refresh network list."

this laptop uses the atheros ar5bxb63 (ar5006x) adapter.

assuming that your router's settings havent changed, you are using the same os as before, and your laptop's wireless switch is enabled, i would assume there would be some inconsistencies with the drivers. i had a similar problem where the new drivers didnt activate the radio properly. ive had a pci slot randomly go bad on me as well but that is probably not the case with your laptop.

check this out too, if you are using xp.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

See what errors you are getting in the event log.

i'm using windows xp sp3 (so that update is unnecessary).

i reformatted using a new nlited xp with sp3 slipstreamed, but i don't think i removed anything that might be needed for the wireless network.

router settings are untouched, but i don't think that's the problem. my laptop can't detect any networks, when it used to detect 15 or so automatically. the drivers are also the same.

you mean wireless zero configuration? yes, that's set to automatic.

i just discovered something interesting, though. when i tried to reinstall the driver, installation failed with an error: this device cannot start. (code 10)

you mean wireless zero configuration? yes, that's set to automatic.

i just discovered something interesting, though. when i tried to reinstall the driver, installation failed with an error: this device cannot start. (code 10)

What if you uninstall from device manager then scan for hardware changes?

Some laptops have a button to enable the wifi radio. This is different than enabling the device in the Network Connections. So if your laptop has a button or a slider switch, make sure it's enabled or on the on position.

Also, I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless driver. I'd recommend grabbing the driver from the laptop manufacturer or extracting the driver from a recovery disc if possible

i figured out what the problem was. i had removed some components that were required. i recreated my nlite cd and now everything works.

thanks, guys. :)

• 4 weeks later...
i figured out what the problem was. i had removed some components that were required. i recreated my nlite cd and now everything works.

thanks, guys. :)

Hello, maybe you can share what you've removed first time, because I have the same problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes if you could tell us. I have been scanning the internet for a solution to this problem. Creating a new nlite is just to much work for a problem small as this.

Thanks in advance

my problem is similiar so i would like to know more on how to resolve.

The issue i am having is that when i select "view availabe wireless networks" none appear, however, i am connected to whatever wireless network happens to be closest. i just cannot see the list anymore to select one.

how do you check the wireless zero configuration? that is the only thing i recall changing recently while i was travelling and trying to connect to my company VPN.

• 1 month later...
assuming that your router's settings havent changed, you are using the same os as before, and your laptop's wireless switch is enabled, i would assume there would be some inconsistencies with the drivers. i had a similar problem where the new drivers didnt activate the radio properly. ive had a pci slot randomly go bad on me as well but that is probably not the case with your laptop.

check this out too, if you are using xp.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

See what errors you are getting in the event log.

Hey pal, just wanted to thank you!! The link above sorted out my wireless problem in no time. I had people telling me to do this and do that and check that and that I had my wireless manually disabled and NOTHING sorted it out for me!!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! And thank you Microsoft!! ;o)

post-264452-1224539249.jpg

• 2 years later...

hey guys, I had the crappy "No wireless networks were found in range" problem on an acer netbook recently, my solution:

after reading Microsoft's article, I checked for a hidden button that would "disable" the wireless card and lo and behold, my acer netbook had a function key (Fn) that you use with F2 (i think) to "disable" the wifi card,

so after hitting Fn+F2, the 999 nearby wifi spots started popping up again woooooo and I can connect just fine at that point

IMO, whoever at acer who came up with this brilliant "feature" should be punched repeatedly in the face, OMFG dear god WHY!!11