The Mentalist

The Mentalist Premieres: September 23, 2008

311l36f.jpg

The Mentalist tells the tale of Patrick Jane who is employed as an independent detective working with the California Bureau of Investigation to solve crimes. He has refined his observations skills to a near perfect level and lends these skills to the CBI to help them solve cases. The team that he works with consists of the senior agent, Teresa Gibson, agents Kimball Cho & Wayne Rigsby and the rookie, Grace Van Pelt.

Promos

-------------

Just wondering who's going to watch this and if they think it will work although it's another observations skills based show.

I was pondering the same question myself. Don't we already have this niche filled? Monk is brilliant and then there are Bones, a few different CSI's, Law & Order, ect. And that is without turning to Columbo or Rockford reruns. I mean there are enough of these shows that there is even a genre spoof in Psych. I'm just not sure what this could offer.

• 1 month later...

I thought it was really good...how about you??

Baker was perfect for the role...and I'm kinda digging all of his supporting crew/cast.

Some real potential there, for sure!! I like the underlying Red John story-line, too...

i liked it but i wish that Patrick would explain his observations

like how he saw that they were lovers from watching the video, or how his colleagues were going to have sex

Yeah, I hear ya...

But, if you follow the "mood," (...camera-shots and accompanying sound-track/music...) you can basically "tell" when he is having a "mentalist" moment, of observation. It's kinda more of a 'feeling' I think, than something that he can explain (...or should be explained, "how/why") [...only IMHO, of course... ;)]

Anyway, I definitely liked it; and, the second episode was good, too. This one's here to stay, in my fall line-up!

Psych is a brilliant show. Very funny. This show looks like a lame ripoff that's crossed with Law and Order.

It seems to me to just have a more serious tone than psych....i like that that the observations arent made so obvious like they are in psych....i appreciate its comedy nature, but the mentalist interests me specifically because it isnt like that...

i also like the fact that they very early kill the notions of psychics being real...

and the paper/rock/scissors bit from ep. 2 was gold..

Mentalist Gets Full Season!

Looks like CBS has a hit on its hands.

The Mentalist, the Tuesday night Simon Baker drama, has just been given the green light for a full season. The show is averaging 15.4 million viewers an episode, which is great considering it's in its first season and there are 22 other police procedurals on the network right now.

But The Mentalist is a bit different than those shows. This show runs completely on the personality of Baker, even if he does have a team of investigators that he is part of. The show is really counting on Baker to sell this character, to be charming and intelligent and funny and all that. Plots and scripts can take a show to great places, but if the lead character doesn't work it can really tilt a show out of balance. Baker makes this character work.

The show has been compared to Psych, but it's a bit more adult than that, and certainly darker (the family of Patrick Jane, Baker's character, was killed by a serial killer and his arrogance and humor helps mask his pain). It fits into the CSI/Criminal Minds family, but at the same time its own vibe. It has actually made me forget that Fringe is even on at the same time. Sorry!

It seems to me to just have a more serious tone than psych....i like that that the observations arent made so obvious like they are in psych....i appreciate its comedy nature, but the mentalist interests me specifically because it isnt like that...

i also like the fact that they very early kill the notions of psychics being real...

and the paper/rock/scissors bit from ep. 2 was gold..

+1, I watch Psych because it gives me a laugh, but I like how this show is more serious.

• 2 weeks later...

Mentalist Gets Full Season

CBS has given a full season order to its new drama "The Mentalist," the season's top new freshman series in viewers and adults 25-54.

"The Mentalist" is averaging 16.14 million viewers (No. 7 among all primetime programs), 5.3/12 in adults 25-54 and 3.8/09 in adults 18-49. "The Mentalist" is the #1 program in its Tuesday (9:00-10:00 PM) time period in viewers and adults 25-54.

"The Mentalist" stars Golden Globe Award nominee Simon Baker as Patrick Jane, an independent consultant with the California Bureau of Investigation (CBI), who has a remarkable track record for solving serious crimes by using his razor sharp skills of observation.

"The Mentalist" also stars Robin Tunney, Tim Kang, Owain Yeoman and Amanda Righetti.

Bruno Heller is executive producer for Warner Bros. Television.

• 3 months later...

i think we should have a poll... psych vs. mentalist..

i haven't seen this yet, myself but a couple of friends recommended it to me so i'll watch it sometime.. till then, i love psych.

"...i'm not inclined to resign to maturity..."

I've never seen Psych (or even heard of it until I started reading threads about The Mentalist), but The Mentalist is a great show. It's only 1 of 2 shows I even watch on CBS too (the other show being The Unit).

i think we should have a poll... psych vs. mentalist..

i haven't seen this yet, myself but a couple of friends recommended it to me so i'll watch it sometime.. till then, i love psych.

"...i'm not inclined to resign to maturity..."

I watch both weekly and I wouldn't want to take that poll. Psych is great as a Comedy, Shawn playing a immature but good "psychic" works.

Mentalist is great because of Patrick is only working for the police to get red john. He uses his wittiness to get out of situations. First episode they dismissed the idea of him being a psychic = (Y)

Great shows :D (for completely different reasons)

• 3 months later...

Anybody saw the finale? what did you guys think? I was really hoping to know who Red John was and the fact that they killed Dumar, or the way, just seemed like it was forced and predictable

Watch it. Boring. The gum thing was too obvious. It was also obvious that Jane wasn't working alone. And yeah, the ending sucked.

I watch this show every week but I don't know why.

My wife says dumb procedural police shows cool her brain off. The only one I really like is Criminal Minds, but then even it sucks very often. Southland looks like it actually has some promise to explore a few deeper themes, but no one watches anything on NBC so it will probably get canned.

A couple of notable change ups have occurred though going into the fall. One is a reshuffling of the successful Monday night comedy lineup. While Two and a Half Men, still the biggest comedy on TV, remains in its 9:00 anchor spot, all the shows around it are shifting timeslots. The Big Bang Theory is being given a very cushy new spot, now airing directly after Men at 9:30 (it probably doesn't hurt that both shows are produced by Chuck Lorre and have received multi-season pickups).

How I Met Your Mother meanwhile will move back up to 8:00 ? a timeslot it had before, though it did better at 8:30. CBS likely feels more secure in Mother now though, which has grown its audience, and will use it to launch the night and feed into their new comedy, Accidentally on Purpose, starring Jenna Elfman.Another big move is The Mentalist, simply because the show has been a huge success for CBS and the biggest hit of the past TV season. However, CBS are now placing the show on Thursdays at 10:00. In the past, this placement, behind CSI, would have been seen only as a boon to the show following that massive hit. But in the wake of William Peterson leaving CSI, ratings are down a bit, and pairing the show with the much younger The Mentalist is likely seen as a benefit for both series that could potentially raise them both in viewers.b>

• 4 months later...