Purchased a Samsung Plasma

Gratz on the TV upgrade. Don't let people ruin the experience by saying you're missing a few pixels here and there. Most things on TV are crap anyway and you'll enjoy them just the same w/ or w/o the extra pixels.

Thanks ...

Shadrack is right man. I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma, same exact specifications as yours and I couldn't be happier with it. the HD channels look just awesome, even the SD channels look better than an SDTV.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

likewise...now im debating if i want to mount it or not.

you plan on watching it from different angles? does it have a swivel base? if so, couldn't the swivel base movement be enough?

(disclaimer: i didn't mount my TVs cause i don't watch them from multiple places :p)

I feel bad for anyone who believes that a DVD calibration even approaches the quality of a professional calibration, especially in the hands of an amateur. This isn't to say you can't get a better than stock quality out of a disc, it nowhere near compares to having it done right. Keep in mind professional services do quite a bit more than adjusting the basics in your picture menu.

so what your saying is.... you buy a low-mid range tv (eg: 1000- i dont know what the pricing is like where u come from so im just making an assumption here) and then spend 250-300 on a professional calibration...:s .. i dont see the logic for people on budget.... calibration dvds or jus playing around with the settings...where you pay next to nothing would be better for the OP in this situation

say if your were buying a higher end tv, i would understand getting the tv professionally calibrated.

I work with Plasma tv's all day and everyday.

The damn dvd menu's get burned into the screen if you leave them on for even 10+ minutes. and it takes at least an hour for it to fade away.

Apparently i know more than you, thats why you're being an ass head.

you must of old stock........oooooooold stock :D.... rarely see IR on the screens we have though we dont leave the menu running for more then 10 mins ;)..... like anything look after it and itll work forever...so to speak :p

as for your other posts knockin on plasma's you must be living back in 2000 or something wher plasmas were IR crazy... your posts are quite laughable about IR... we had a 50'' plasma hooked up to a PC for around a week and dont think we ever had a problem of IR though we didnt keep it stuck on desktop for a whole day :p

also now days if there is IR on ur plasma running normal programing for while gets it to fade away samsung, pana, hitachi, pio all seem to do alrite most of the above also have pixel shifting or logo screen savers/oribiters screen or w/e when a dvd is paused so chance of ir is reduced.... as i said for the start keep brightness a bit lower then usual, keep the screen full, try not to game for a bit and i doubt youll get IR and mate i know for a fact TVs in-store are nearly always on default which is normally dynamic.... i just dont like it when people get on there high horse and think they are know all-end all :) samsung are pretty reliable tbh :)

if i said anything wrong please correct me, THOUGH i dont want to take this thread away from OP :)

as for mounting thats totally ur decision depends on your room, how your going to use your tv .etc. i like wall mounts but if you have a swivel base.....well use it! :D

i just wnoder when bangbang will raid this thread :D

I want to mount it because I like the way TVs look mounted. I think it gives the room a much nicer feel if you know what I mean.

For now Im going to leave it on a glass stand that I have. I'm going to research more on calibrating though. My debate was is it worth doing it to my TV. Sure its not the most expensive TV but from what I read it can save power and prolong TVs (LCDs and Plasmas) even longer. I dunno...what i'll end up doing though.

Maybe we should ask BangBang what he thinks...ha

Edited by J0HN

yea wall mounting does open the room up and makes it kinda like a feature wall ....like in the magazines :p

your choice on calibration....ive never tried calibration dvds most of what i said has been second hand form other people..... just thought u should have a good think if the outlay is work the return :)

Nice TV. I wouldn't worry to much about the specs. I gave up on doing that a long time ago, I have seen 1080 panels which look like crap and 720 panels which look epic. Higher numbers don't mean better quality. Judge with your eyes it works best for me. As long as you are happy with the quality it doesn't matter :)

Wow the idiots sometimes.

That is a fantastic tv. I researched for weeks when I decided to buy a HDTV I read review after review narrowed down to 3 models and then searched for the best price. Then I actually went into a store to see them in person. The Samsung plasma had by far the best picture of any in the store even models costing 2.5x or 3x the price. The color and black levels cant be touched by a lcd. I also have a ps3 hooked up to it for blurays and gaming again its beautiful. Dont listen to the uninformed spouting about problems plasmas had 10 years ago. Todays breed has done away with almost everything negative about the old models. The only single thing i dont love about my set is that it gets pretty warm and im sure its sucking down quite a bit of electricity. Also I looked it up on avs forums and did all the suggested settings and then compared to default with my own tweaking and was more happy with what I did vs what was on the board. But its worth a shot you might be happier with "pro" suggestions. Always ENJOY your new purchase knowing the ones spouting crap are just jealous they got stuck with a lcd with an inferior picture.

Congrats on the purchase, enjoy! We have a 42" Samsung plasma in the living room @ 1024x768 - Sky HD looked nice on it when I plugged it in one night.

Personally, I'm an LCD fan for the 1080p (got a 40" Samsung LCD in here) but if you're happy with a plasma good for you! :) some of these people should STFU.