UFC 90 - Silva vs Cote

UFC 90

Article

MM-Eh: Underdog? What Underdog?

Canada?s own Patrick Cote will be the next brave challenger for the UFC middleweight title, which is currently under the stranglehold of Anderson Silva. Cote will face the man who many consider the world?s No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter on October 25 from the Allstate Arena in Chicago.

Cote (13-4) earned his shot against the feared Brazilian striker after a four-fight win streak inside the Octagon. The Quebec City son most recently garnered a split decision win over the highly touted Ricardo Almeida at UFC 86 on July 5. The untimely injury of Yushin Okami, in line for the next crack at Silva, cleared the way for the matchup announced last Saturday.

Cote had just returned from a Caribbean vacation when he heard about Okami?s broken hand and the possibility of stepping in to replace him.

?When I came back everybody asked, ?Did you hear the news? Maybe you will fight Anderson Silva,?? said Cote. ?Then two days later my manager (Stephane Patry) told me that the UFC wanted to put Anderson against me.?

Cote said he accepted the bout immediately.

?I do this sport to be No. 1, so I can?t ask for more. To fight the best guy pound-for-pound in the world and to have a chance to get a title shot ? it?s perfect,? said Cote. ?I?m not scared of anybody ? I said yes to fight Tito Ortiz on four days notice when I was in a different weight division, so to fight Anderson Silva is the ultimate goal for me. I want to be champion of my weight class.?

Cote, 28, credits his dual training facilities between coach Fabio Holanda and BTT Canada in Montreal and instructor Mark DellaGrotte and Sityodtong in Boston for helping him clear the path to gold.

?Since I?ve gone to Sityodtong I?m undefeated, but I think it?s a combination of Sityodtong and my team, BTT Canada, that has made me better,? he said. ?Fabio Holanda and Mark DellaGrotte work very well together, and I think I?ve found a good combination to be champion. I had a rough start with the UFC, but now all of my bad luck is behind me and the future is good.?

Holanda believes his rising student is a different fighter now then when he lost at ?The Ultimate Fighter 4? finale to Travis Lutter in Nov. 2006, and that a good game plan means all the difference in a fight.

?His best fight for me ever was against Almeida,? Holanda told Sherdog.com. ?People don?t realize that Almeida is like ten times better than Lutter. With Lutter he was a different fighter. You have no idea ? I can?t explain. Everybody thought it would be Almeida all the way, but from his fight with Lutter to his fight with Almeida it?s a huge difference ? he?s not the same fighter any more.?

New fighter or not, Silva ?- untouchable in his last seven fights -- still poses a very formidable threat. What does Cote bring to the table that others have failed to do before?

?I think I have the best style to fight this guy. I have a good chin, I?ll go forward, and I think every time he fights his opponent has already lost because he?s scared of him,? said Cote, who has never been knocked out in training. ?I know that this guy is very, very good, but we have a good game plan for the fight, and I?m 100% confident that I will win.?

Holanda is just as assured.

?We?ve known him (Silva) for awhile and have studied him for awhile, and we?re going to try to exploit him in several areas,? said the regarded trainer. ?It?s not an easy task, but this is a rare opportunity to do something that the world doesn?t think we can do, and Patrick is the type of guy that rises to the occasion.?

Yeah, I don't know what is up with this match up. I guess when you run out of worthy opponents you just keep on keeping on.

Not to sidetrack but, does anyone agree on the rule change after the Henderson vs Silva fight that now you can longer cover an opponents mouth to restrict breathing? Seemed like fair move. I just wonder, I know the sport is still in its growing stages but I remember when there really weren't that many rules i.e. Joe San taking tremendous nut shots from Keith Hackney :x

I believe that Anderson Silva is basically undefeatable in Middleweight.

He's good, very good, but I would still like to see a Silva/Henderson rematch. Still think Hendo is his biggest threat at 185.

I believe that Anderson Silva is basically undefeatable in Middleweight.

pretty much, this fight is going to be a bigger joke then the irvin fight...

He's good, very good, but I would still like to see a Silva/Henderson rematch. Still think Hendo is his biggest threat at 185.

he may be the biggest threat, but he has no chance against silva

Yeah I would like to see a Hendo rematch but where has he been lately seemed to disappear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well that was a disappointing match to say the least....

I think Cote is the first to last three rounds against Silva though.

that first round of that silva fight shouldn't have counted... nothing happened. Its like anderson bet on himself to take it in the third round or something so he just dragged it on. and holy knockout batman on werdum

i want to see bisbing get a shot, i mean i don't think anyone in the UFC's middleweight division has a chance at beating silva, but he would give him a test... they need more middleweights that have a chance at beating him.

I would like to see Cote get a rematch but of course that won't happen.

i think he will, cause i know anderson will want it. It's prolly killing him inside knowing that he technically didn't win that fight...

Silva wanted to knock out Cote in the later rounds

Posted by MMAFighting.com 10/28/08—12:30 PM

Making it to the third round with Anderson Silva may not be something for Patrick Cote to brag bout.

“My game plan since the beginning was fight five rounds, inducing him to commit mistakes and capitalize on that during the first three rounds and look for the knockout during the fourth and fifth rounds,” Silva told Sherdog.com. “It was working, and the biggest proof of that is that I almost didn’t waste any blows. I connected with a couple of good punches and knees, but unfortunately he got hurt and the fight was over. This is not my fault.”

Silva takes his training for five-round title bouts seriously. When a fight doesn't go the full five rounds -- which has been all the time -- Silva postpones his celebration and goes backstage to continue working a sweat. The UFC caught up with Silva after a workout following his win over Cote Saturday at UFC 90.

“Our body is used to five rounds,” Silva said. “Sometimes I’m only able to do three, and I want to come back and work out all the energy I had built up planning to do five rounds.”

In his previous seven UFC victories, the longest fight was 9 minutes and 52 seconds when Silva tangled with former PRIDE middleweight and light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson at UFC 82 on March 1. Silva said in an interview published today on Sherdog.com that he planned on taking the fight past the third round.

http://www.mmafighting.com/news/2008/10/28...te-later-rounds

i knew something was up, that he was going easy on him.