Users Report Firmware 2.42 Causing PS3 Failure

Users Report Firmware 2.42 Causing PS3 Failure

Reports of hardware failure seem to follow PlayStation 3 firmware updates as regularly as Summer follows Spring, but following the issues with firmware update 2.40 you can't be too careful. Multiple users over at the official PlayStation forums are reporting that their PS3 consoles are no longer reading discs following the 2.42 update last week. Some report that games play for several minutes after the update before the drive stops working, while others say the issue kicks in immediately. At least one forum-goer reported that performing a reset on his system fixed the issue, while others have tried with no luck.

It's pretty hard to get a good idea of just how many people are having the issue, what with the forum topic filled with "me toos" and claims that anyone reporting an issue is simply a troll. For the record, I just updated my system and have had no issues whatsoever. We've contacted Sony for comment on the issue, and will keep you all posted should further developments arise.

Source: Kotaku

2.42 has been out for over a week at this point... (8 days to be exact) and this is the 1st time I've seen anything related to it causing PS3 'malfunctions'

Another reason I won't believe the claims.. is cause with the big issue in 2.40, Sony pulled the update ASAP and 2.42 can still be dl'ed from the main site... also, 2.42 didn't change anything major all it did was "improve performance with PSN games" (what ever that means).

So I'm going to take this with a grain of salt

its gonna be the 1 person who did something wrong or used some dodgy theme, which attracts the other 5 out of the woodwork. People don't post to report that it works fine so you get a thread full of 'mines broke too', making a mountain out of a molehill!

Problem with news like this, much like the the Firmware 2.40 update that apparently killed hundreds upon thousands of PS3s, is that in the end most of the time, there aren't that many people having the problem, then it gets blown out of proportion and posted on many sites.

Not saying that this is the same, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Reading through the US forums there are about 30 people having problems, so at least its not death to hundreds of machines so far.

It can get annoying when the news gets too big for what is actually happening, but at least it makes Sony move their butts to figure out a solution, but then that can rush them and cause more problems, seems to be a vicious circle.

Problem with news like this, much like the the Firmware 2.40 update that apparently killed hundreds upon thousands of PS3s, is that in the end most of the time, there aren't that many people having the problem, then it gets blown out of proportion and posted on many sites.

2.40 was a massive problem, no doubt about it. You can't use Neowin as an example when there is only 200K odd members registered here. And even then, there is only so many regular members who bother to post. If they took it offline the action speaks louder than words.

2.40 was a massive problem, no doubt about it. You can't use Neowin as an example when there is only 200K odd members registered here. And even then, there is only so many regular members who bother to post. If they took it offline the action speaks louder than words.

2.40 was defiantly a problem, big yes, but not huge, and I wasn't using Neowin as an example for anything.

And if they took the reporting to what was happening off-line, well, since these are being pushed through on-line updates, while yes some are doing it via PC, I don't see how the problems would be in a much a bigger scale.

If that is what you meant.

No issues here. Been running the update since it was released.

Hard to take threads like that seriously though when there are posts about lawsuits and about Sony deliberately coding firmware to break specific PS3s. A few people have an issue (which could be Blu-Ray Drive related in some cases) and instantly its blown out of proportion. Its cool to whine at Sony these days though.

2.40 was defiantly a problem, big yes, but not huge, and I wasn't using Neowin as an example for anything.

How do you distinguish between big and huge with this situation lol..

It was obviously a big enough problem to remove the update is what I'm saying, and it must have been pretty widescale also. I brought Neowin up because there was maybe 2 or 3 people who had the problem here. If you were to look at any other websites forum though, like IGN, the official PS3 or Gamespots etc, they were littered with topics/posts from people who did. Nevermind the people who aren't even active on internet forums/websites who just contacted Sony directly.

A lot of people here tried their best to downplay any reports and say how it wasn't such a big deal when obviously it was. Pretty sad really, it's like saying the RROD wasn't a big deal in retrospect.

How do you distinguish between big and huge with this situation lol..

It was obviously a big enough problem to remove the update is what I'm saying, and it must have been pretty widescale also. I brought Neowin up because there was maybe 2 or 3 people who had the problem here. If you were to look at any other websites forum though, like IGN, the official PS3 or Gamespots etc, they were littered with topics/posts from people who did. Nevermind the people who aren't even active on internet forums/websites who just contacted Sony directly.

A lot of people here tried their best to downplay any reports and say how it wasn't such a big deal when obviously it was. Pretty sad really, it's like saying the RROD wasn't a big deal in retrospect.

I distinguish Huge from Big, being that the consoles that are being updated are all on-line, so there are millions out there that might very well never be even close to being affected by the problem at all.

I'm not saying it isn't a serious problem, just that it isn't as much of a dooms day as I'm sure some peopel will amek ti otu to be.

And I've already made my opinion on the past Xbox360 problems in my previous post.

I wasn't trying to stir anything, honest rofl.gif

:rofl:

oh poor PS3 guys :rofl:

???

To re-iterate what I said further up, an extremely small minority get issues and blame it on the firmware, it could be ANYTHING.

???

To re-iterate what I said further up, an extremely small minority get issues and blame it on the firmware, it could be ANYTHING.

Yeah or it could be the firmware *gasps*

Yeah or it could be the firmware *gasps*

it wouldn't really explain why the issue is a week after release, and the issues are in extremely small numbers.

it wouldn't really explain why the issue is a week after release, and the issues are in extremely small numbers.

There are a million ways a simple Firmware update could mess up a piece of Hardware instantly or in the longer run.

Could be based on what games you play, what you download, which services you use, location - Could be anything after a firmware update.

There are endless possibilities, so there's no need to dismiss the Firmware either.

There are endless possibilities, so there's no need to dismiss the Firmware either.

That was the point I was trying to make, it could be bad savegames, errors handling certain video or audio so on so forth