Should I shut down my Macbook?

Yes, but if I know I'll be plugged in all day I prefer not to carry extra weight.

I dont think removing 0.2KG is worth the risk of damaging the hard drive and RAM... (for those that don't know, the hard drive and ram are accessible via the battery bay for easy interchangeability)

That's actually still a problem with most laptop batteries. The so called "memory" effect isn't so much of a problem now, but a battery not being able to hold it's charge due to the heat released from the laptop affecting the battery is still a problem.

With that said, my friend's Macbook pretty much runs 24/7 with the battery in it and it seems to have no problems with battery life degrading.

Agreed, my cousins Acer laptop does discharge quicker if the machine has been on for a while so logically that'd be heat related.

However the batteries Apple use are first rate, not cheep.

I dont think removing 0.2KG is worth the risk of damaging the hard drive and RAM... (for those that don't know, the hard drive and ram are accessible via the battery bay for easy interchangeability)

yeah thats so much differetn then most other comanies that have a thin plastic door covering their memeory and HDD.....NOT!

Then in that case Apple is NOT providing a power supply that properly meets the machines needs. I have NEVER owned ANY laptop that downclocked when teh battery was removed (i have not tired the macbook yet) if the laptop's power supply can not deliver the power it needs then its not meeting its own requirements.

If my battery dies and i dont have $80 for a new one that means im stuck with a underclocked laptop till I can get $80? thats UTTER bull****

Dude, it's not because the power supply can't power the CPU when it's unplugged. It's a feature designed to make your battery life last longer. It's all automatic, and in fact your CPU power will increase to capacity if you suddenly take on a heavy load. It will also degrade your CPU power if you've not been doing much for a little while. Most new laptops do this.

I just purchased my MacBook. So far I've just left it in sleep, haven't needed to turn it off yet. I'm going to let the battery drain to 0% once and then after that I'll probably leave the A/C plugged in all the time. :)

Shut it down and conserve electricity.
Why not shut it down when you are not using it? I hope this "trend" is going to die real soon. Imo it?s a absolute waste of resources.

:yes::

i shut mine down if im goign to be away from it for a while, or log it out