[Review] Samsung YP-K3

Samsung YP-K3 review by A.A. Fussy:

Price paid:$69 at Target

Supplied with:CD,EP-370 earphones,USB cable

Overview:

This is a very slim player-only 6.5mm thin-just like the iPod nano

Design

I was impressed at the easy to use touchpad controls-sort of like the iPod touch, but more basic (i.e. it's no match for the P2)

At first glance, the lack of buttons on the face of the K3 is weird, but over time, the touch controls are simply a great way to navigate through menus and songs.

The 1.8" OLED screen is the real star feature-it's very easy to read in any light, and is amazingly vibrant.

My K3 was a red color-matches the YP-S2 I already own.

Menus:

It has a funky looking menu system-which is easy to get around.

The icons represent each feature (earphones for music, photo for photos,a radio for the FM radio,a spanner for settinga).

I like the effects when switching between different modes:music,radio,photos

Screensaver feature is very cool-there are different animations to choose from.

Music and radio:

Music playback is fast-with a graphic EQ and serene visualizations in place of cover art, which is quite stunning to look at.

Radio presetting and playing is good-and took only about 20 seconds to do and reception on the Gold Coast with the K3 (in my office) is excellent.

There's a 7 band EQ and Samsung's DNSE effects you can enable-more on that later.

Photos:

Very neatly laid out thumbnail view, with instant access to a slideshow via the touch controls

Sound Quality:

Beautiful sound-especially if DNSE is enabled (I have it set to concert hall or studio).

Virtually distortion-free, with wondeful sound across all frequencies.

The supplied EP-370's while not as comfortable or as good sounding as say, MDR-EX082's-it's just nice sounding with lots of bass.

DNSE menu pop-up is used to access the EQ via "user"- with 3D bass, and 7 band EQ.

3D setting produces a wider soundstange, while the 7-band EQ has more bands than other players EQ's do, and is extremely adjustable.

Charging/transfer:

Via a USB dock cable, takes 4hrs when you first use it, but quick after that.

MTP out of the box for Windows users, and Mac users may want to install a Korean firmware for UMS.

Samsung Media Studio is a all-in-one media player that can transfer playlists/songs to the YP-K3, also there is a podcast section called "datacasts", for Windows only.

Overall:

Impressed with its intuitive touch controls and can highly recommend it to anyone.

Photo:

1000584rf6.jpg

Nice review. I personally have a black K3 matched with Creative EP-630 earphones and they work great for me.

For DNSe, I tend to use User and alter the settings for more R&B/Hip-Hop with more bass.

Great player :)

You can download a korean firmware file-and gives you 3 interface colors that can be put on the device.

Did that, mine's now got blue colored UI.

I prefer the US/MTP Firmware, I don't like browsing via file name, tags are better.

I've got the 3.09 Maestro firmware on mine (just makes the icons sparkle as well as light up).

I still have the v3 firmware on mine as well .. I believe the v4 software forces you to use filenames vs ID3 info to browse your content?

Anyways .. nice review .. needs more pics tough ;)

Absolutly love my black K3! I would only trade it in for the iPod Touch / iPhone however that's really a different class device.

If you are in the market for a "nano" sized MP3 player and you hate getting ripped off (in other words: don't like buying from Apple), the YP-K3 is THE mp3 player to get!

I still have the v3 firmware on mine as well .. I believe the v4 software forces you to use filenames vs ID3 info to browse your content?

Anyways .. nice review .. needs more pics tough ;)

Absolutly love my black K3! I would only trade it in for the iPod Touch / iPhone however that's really a different class device.

If you are in the market for a "nano" sized MP3 player and you hate getting ripped off (in other words: don't like buying from Apple), the YP-K3 is THE mp3 player to get!

Correct, I prefer tags.

Also, if you still don't want to get ripped off but want features like Bluetooth & Video, then go for the T10, it's only $10 or $20 more than the same sized K3.

Even better, if you see a cheap P2, get it.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience Samsung MP3 players have long boot up times and are not so responsive. My T9 takes about 12 seconds boot up, and theres a about a 1 second delay between tracks if you hit "next track". Also for some strange reason the Next track and volume up buttons only register about 10% of the time when I'm in airplanes after taking off. :dontgetit:

I hate to say it, but my iPod was still the best MP3 player I've ever had - until I spilled some acetone on it. :cry:

No delays, just a simple startup animation for the K3, everything else is fine.

The iPod has the worst sound quality out of all offerings (except those cheap Chinese MP3 players you're likely to get from eBay, etc). Move to something better and look back and you'll be horrified.

~Edit - Whoops, bad spelling.

Some additions:

-Using Philips Virtual Surround earphones-the SBC HE590 in my case, produces a nice soundfield

-Interface colors can be changed, if you download firmware, there are several folders with "image files"-eg. blue, drag the image file onto the root folder of the K3, and a new UI coloris installed when you turn it on.

-UMS can be added by installing a Korean firmware-which can be tricky, as mine shipped with the 3.09 firmware, and wouldn't accept or install the firmware I tried to install (was stuck on 3.0.9-can't seem to upgrade it successfully yet).

-Can charge on a Mac, but for songs trasferring-mine is used on a PC.

Edited by invaderzim_2004