Great Britain WILL field a 2012 olympic football team

FA chief Barwick is determined there will be a GB football team in 2012

The Football Association says Great Britain will have a team at London 2012 even if it does not have the backing of all the home nations.

FA chief executive Brian Barwick told BBC Sport: "Do I think we should have a team representing football in the 2012 Olympics? Yes."

Asked about which home nations the players would come from he said team composition "is for a later debate".

FA chairman Lord Triesman said he was "completely committed" to a GB team.

The football governing bodies of Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are against the idea of a unified Great Britain team because of fears they could lose their independent status.

England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland compete in international football tournaments as separate entities but it is Great Britain that represents the home nations in the Olympics.

As a result Great Britain, the 1908 and 1912 champions, has not fielded a side since the 1964 Olympics.

Earlier this week Sepp Blatter, president of world governing body Fifa, said he would have no problem if Great Britain fielded a team consisting of 11 England players.

FA boss Barwick said he understood the concerns of the other home nations but stressed a team would be entered come what may.

"We have to respect their views but this is an Olympics that is going to take place in London in four years' time and I think you'll get from my view that there's an appetite for us to have a team," he said.

Asked if there was a chance it could be composed entirely of English players he replied: "Didn't we win a hockey (gold) medal in 1988 with all English players and one Northern Irish player? There is precedent."

Lord Triesman told BBC Sport it would be "barking mad" if Great Britain did not field a football team at the London Olympics.

"I can see no good reason for not having one at all. Whatever it has to be comprised of, we will have a team in the 2012 Olympics," he insisted.

IMHO, good!