Should I Buy a Blue Ray Player?

The reason everybody is recommending PS3 over standalone players is simple: it's the best. Not only is it the most feature-rich, but it's upgradeable firmware makes it futureproof. It also hosts a plethora of media center capacities that standalones can't even begin to compete with. The price isn't bad either; you'd be hard pressed to find a similar-quality player for less than $400 (which is what the PS3 costs).

It still won't work with my Harmony remote, wich gives it so many negative points it's down there with the worst BD players.

It still won't work with my Harmony remote, wich gives it so many negative points it's down there with the worst BD players.

The official BD remote is fantastic, can do everything with it on PS3 minus actually play games.

how lazy can you get? seriously? its like one more remote.

You really have no clue about what you are discussing here.. try to educate yourself about the technology before posting your opinions and I'm not backing up Toshiba, I'm just saying that he doesnt' have to get a Blu-Ray player on 32" TV and pay $400+ and $20-$30 discs just to gain quality that he can't see. Pretty much 97% of the market agrees with me on this. You are one of the many fanboys who sees nothing wrong with the Blu-Ray pricing.

Btw, he can get a great DVD upscaling player for $70, so either way he will be better off just waiting. I recommended Toshiba new XDE player because it provides a great picture even better then just regular upscaling for the price of regular DVD upscalers. Toshiba is also known to have the BEST upscaling in the industry so it's a win win for what he NEEDS.

His question was Should I Buy A Blu-Ray player? since he has a 32" TV

My advice is not.. he can stick with DVD upscalers and several times the price as he will not see a difference at all unless he's 2 feet from the TV which I really doubt.

When he gets a TV 40"+ he might want to consider Blu-ray player, at which time it will be <$200 and probably sub $20 for the discs if it survives that long.

Its funny how you say I have no idea what I am talking about regarding technology yet you provide no ample examples to prove my ignorance. Lets see, I bought in to Blu-Ray and you bought into HD-DVD. Ok, that was fluke. You go on about expensive discs. How much were HD-DVD discs prior to the end? How much are Blu-Rays at Amazon or Wal-Mart? They aren't MSRP like they are at Circuit City or Best Buy.

He has a 32" TV, which is not a small TV. He may not reap the benefits of full 1080p, but he will without a doubt be able to tell the different between native 720p/1080i content versus edge-enhanced/upscaled SD content. Again, you want to argue regarding the sound quality differences found on a DVD versus a BD or even an HD-DVD?

But, but, but, but, save money and waste what you have now! Er, that doesn't make sense, does it? Why would you buy an expensive upscaler (you linked directly to the Toshiba product and you're going to tell me that you aren't pushing it?!) for a format that is going to be on its way out with HDM on the rise (physical or download). Prices for BD players are constantly falling as well. Don't bother arguing the fully-functional argument when you're linking to a DVD player - a 1.0 BD player offers the exact same interactive experience that a DVD player will offer with enhanced PQ/AQ. Many 1.1 players can be made 2.0 players with a memory stick as well.

Laughable comment regarding the shelf life of BD as well, coming from you of all people. Any more attacks you would like to try?

The official BD remote is fantastic, can do everything with it on PS3 minus actually play games.

how lazy can you get? seriously? its like one more remote.

And my hamony can do everything on my Media center, X360, tv receiver and if I had a DVD or BD player, it could do everythign on them. Even better it activity based, not device based, so it knows what devices I use for each activity. so it allways adjusts the volume of my receiver. not whatever eelse it might adjust the volume on.

Now tell me, does the BT remote do this ? no, wih means I woudl have to use multiple remotes because on ONE device.

ummm no, not likely to happen, when it would have cost Sony at most 0.1cent to not **** up royally on the ir receiver absence.

I guess i am the only one who noticed a huge diff on my 26 inch hdtv with my ps3 watching blu-rays. Even the sound was better on the bu-rays. Much better color and sharpness.

As long as you have an hdtv and bigger then 20 inches i think its def worth it.

He has a 32" TV, which is not a small TV. He may not reap the benefits of full 1080p, but he will without a doubt be able to tell the different between native 720p/1080i content versus edge-enhanced/upscaled SD content. Again, you want to argue regarding the sound quality differences found on a DVD versus a BD or even an HD-DVD?

no you want to, except you're not, you're just throwing empty claims into the air as facts and not doign any real arguing to prove them.

And my hamony can do everything on my Media center, X360, tv receiver and if I had a DVD or BD player, it could do everythign on them. Even better it activity based, not device based, so it knows what devices I use for each activity. so it allways adjusts the volume of my receiver. not whatever eelse it might adjust the volume on.

Now tell me, does the BT remote do this ? no, wih means I woudl have to use multiple remotes because on ONE device.

ummm no, not likely to happen, when it would have cost Sony at most 0.1cent to not **** up royally on the ir receiver absence.

2472646119_3f731bb62e.jpg

I have a newely built Media Center with a Pioneer Blu-ray player. It's perfect, I wouldn't buy the PS3, I wouldn't be able to do half the things I want to on the PS3 as opposed to a Media Center PC (Browser the Internet - in a decent browser, store all of my digital photos / MP3's and use the Media Center as a backup hub for my two other PC's).

no you want to, except you're not, you're just throwing empty claims into the air as facts and not doign any real arguing to prove them.

Then I guess you have never listened to HD audio. Sorry about that.

yet again you start throwing out claims without any backup.

oh well, guess that's about what I expected anyway.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1064

DVD - Compressed and lossy audio to fit on the disc.

BD - Uncompressed audio or compressed lossless audio that fits on the disc without any problems. Exact replication of the studio master.

Do I really need to go into detail? Do I need to teach you the ABCs as well? You're offering a rebuttal that is so retarded on so many levels that it is hard for me to debate you. What next, you going to ask me to explain the difference between lossless and lossy sound? What is PCM? Why is grass green?

No, I want you to prove to me in a blind test that you can hear a difference in an actual movie.

From DVD audio to HD audio? You either have never listened to HD audio on a proper setup or you have terrible hearing.

No, I want you to prove to me in a blind test that you can hear a difference in an actual movie.

No point arguing HawkMan.. not only that he insults you and calls you retarded he posts paper specs that really have no real value in the real world, especially when 90% of people uses their $250 hi-fi bundle speakers or TV speakers to listen to. But that's in general what fanboys do and is pretty much a tactic from the beginning about Blu-Ray.. spec-whoring without any real-life advantage for many people.

If these guys use a PS3, then I'd call it a pretty safe bet. http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ins...emastered.html

"...In "Meeting the Criterion," we detailed the company's plans to outfit its new Manhattan screening room/home theater for high-def video and high-rez audio playback while it waited out the Blu-ray Disc/HD DVD format war. When the war ended, Criterion wasted no time pushing forward with Blu-ray (see "Criterion Goes Blu"). And with some guidance from Sound & Vision, it also moved ahead on installing the new screening room.

"...The list of other gear that Criterion selected for its theater includes a Denon AVR-3808CI receiver, an Axiom Epic 80/500 speaker system, an Anchor Bay DVDO VP50 Pro video processor with HD SDI option, and a Sony PlayStation 3 for Blu-ray Disc playback."

I'd call that 1 negative point, but anyway... I have a harmony 895, so I'll be getting one of these soon. Not the most elegant solution, but I don't know of anything better right now.

http://ir2bt.com/

No point arguing HawkMan.. not only that he insults you and calls you retarded he posts paper specs that really have no real value in the real world, especially when 90% of people uses their $250 hi-fi bundle speakers or TV speakers to listen to. But that's in general what fanboys do and is pretty much a tactic from the beginning about Blu-Ray.. spec-whoring without any real-life advantage for many people.

Uh-huh. I'm such a fanboy. Care to rehash your previous fights versus almost all of Neowin? Weren't you even suspended for a while because of it? It is pretty easy for you to say that any next-gen aspect of BD has no value now that you're touting an almost-HD player as what people need to buy. Please.

If these guys use a PS3, then I'd call it a pretty safe bet.

It is just important to note that PS3 doesn't have the BEST playback quality, it's used by Criterion and is recommended because you get all features of Blu-Ray discs and is upgradable not because it's the greatest picture quality. It has power processor so any on-fly decoding is done without problems and is pretty fast.

I personally think it's kind of sad that 3rd year since the format came out and they still don't have proper full featured standalone player but relying on hacked gaming console that is not really an AV unit.

I personally think it's kind of sad that 3rd year since the format came out and they still don't have proper full featured standalone player but relying on hacked gaming console that is not really an AV unit.

I can 100% agree with this.

I could of sworn I seen a whole skid of blu-ray players at bestbuy the other day for $299.99, I am sure they were older models, but hell, it was cheaper then a PS3!

The PS3 is easily the best Blu Ray player, but personally I'd avoid it if you can, get an AppleTV, or something equal that will let you stream content from your computer to your tv.

You can do that on a PS3, using some 3rd party software like TVersity.

wow, what an argument.

I might not even get a 32" i might get bigger. Depends on how nice my dad wants to be. We'll see. As for the PS3, chances are I'll get that because I wanted to get the console anyways.