Receiver + speakers wattage rule of thumb

Pink Floyd
The Yamahas are very harsh at higher volumes. For a more musical sound, look at Denon if you can find one in your price range.
Joel, would you buy something at Fillion on sherbrooke st?
Joel
Joel, would you buy something at Fillion on sherbrooke st?

They're actually a client of ours, hehe. Just got flooded a couple of weeks back in the Anjou/St-Leonard rainstorm, and lost half of their inventory.

Go in, ask for Jean-Fran?ois Gagnon and ask him what his opinion is. He'll most likely tell you that the Yamaha is too harsh also, and to look at a Denon.

se7en.hu
No I took it that you were just going to use the two old speakers. But my real point is why use old speakers. This to me would be like running DOS on a Pentium Quad4. If you really want good sound BOSE is the only way to go. But they are $$$$$.

lol audio is not like computers man, if anything it used to be better back in the day.

There is a **** load of ass talk in this thread, that being said though audio is really a personal matter and usually you go with something you think sounds good, for some people that may be Bose, which is fine, but it certainly isnt good sound, if your talking in terms of reproducing a live sound stage. What im trying to say though is that Bose is perfectly fine for the average consumer because they just dont care no matter how much they think they do.

Pink Floyd: dude, judging from your alias I get the feeling you appreciate some good music. I know you said you may want to build up to a Home Theatre Multichannel setup eventually but I just have to recommend one of these -

YAQIN EL84 6P14 Class A Valve Tube Integrated Amp

They are cheap as you can see, dont be fooled however, I can guarantee that this is enough to get girls in bed and make you cream yourself time and time again from the beautiful sound these Chinese amps actually give out. You can do some research if you like, various UK based Audio forums have done tests and are amazed. They compare to valve amps that cost tens of thousands, and in terms of Solid State amps as far as im concerned and from what I have personally heard nothing even comes close (I have one of these but an older model).

Its like there are stereos... and then there's this, in a separate class altogether. No matter how much volume your giving it, even when its extremely quiet you can hear every frequency in great detail, a guitar will sound like its being plucked by David Gilmour right in from of you, you can feel the contact of their palms on the bongo and if you close your eyes its like as if Jerry Garcia is standing only a few feet away.

It is a 12watt x2 Class A Push/Pull Design which is regarded the highest quality. Got to love the range of these amps too - 6hz to 60khz ensures that you are going to get a full sound stage, every frequency with very solid power. The specs wont do this justice off course though. But I really do bet you that you will feel something from this, for me it was like I was listening to those albums for the first time, cant be explained man.

The 12 watt Class A output should be more then enough to power your speakers, I have the amp powering a pair of Mordaunt Short Music Series and it does a great job and gets plenty loud enough as-well. (mines a 10watt one btw)

If you truly want good sound the way to go would be to get one of these 2x channel tube amps for music and then purchase one of these modern surround sound amps for Home Theatre use as thats what they're primarily designed for.

And btw, the valve amp sucks for any music that doesn't use instruments eg. electronic tunes and whatnot. Basically it only really sounds good for Pink Floyd-ish tunes (you know what I mean guitars, drums and whatnot, basicaly sounds good for music :p )

if you do go with one of these, just make sure you got some clean underwear around, your going to need it.

edit: heres another (ebay) that one works differently however and im not too familiar with it. It has inputs for 8-Ohm and 4-Ohm though

Edited by se7en.hu
  • 4 months later...
hulibecker

Just read this thread and now im confused!! lol

I have been looking into buying my first AV setp for home.

Im currently looking at a Onkyo 876 & Kef 3005 se speakers.

Is this going to be a good match or would you advise i look at something else? (Different Amp, Speakers? Is one overkill for the other?)

Lok forward to your comments.

Thanks

Cyplex

I just faced this dilemma and ended up getting an Onkyo since they appear to best VERY high quality yet affordable. I ended up getting the following:

1) Onkyo TX-SR706 Receiver

2) Klipsch Reference Series RB-51 Bookshelf speakers x2

3) Klipsch Reference Series RC-52 Center channel speaker

4) Klipsch Reference Series RS-10 Surround speakers x2

All of this to match my 2 Paradigms towers and LG 42" 1080p set.

The rule of thumb is you never cheap out on the speakers, or you'll regret it later then spend more money because you're unhappy with your first purchase.

cork1958

Your current speakers are fine and will work with either of the receivers you linked to.

Speakers ARE the main ingredient in your system.

Bose speakers ARE NOT junk/crap. It's all a personal preference there. Anybody says otherwise is just a fanboy of whatever particular brand they use, or just flat out doesn't know what they're talking about.

The ohm's are very critical to what speakers you match up with the receiver though. Be careful on that part as you have 4 ohm speakers to start with.

goji
1) Onkyo TX-SR706 Receiver

2) Klipsch Reference Series RB-51 Bookshelf speakers x2

3) Klipsch Reference Series RC-52 Center channel speaker

4) Klipsch Reference Series RS-10 Surround speakers x2

All of this to match my 2 Paradigms towers and LG 42" 1080p set.

The rule of thumb is you never cheap out on the speakers, or you'll regret it later then spend more money because you're unhappy with your first purchase.

Your speakers are good, and by default Klipsch do not require a large amount of power to run; oh the beauty of horn loaded design (read: efficient).

I am slightly concerned about Klipsch and Paradigm being matched up; two different sounds in your sound field.

Bose speakers ARE NOT junk/crap. It's all a personal preference there. Anybody says otherwise is just a fanboy of whatever particular brand they use, or just flat out doesn't know what they're talking about.

Sorry, but they are. Paper coned drivers at an immodest price point with a "bass module" that pumps out TONS of muddled midrange and no bass doesn't seem like a bargain to me.

Just read this thread and now im confused!! lol

I have been looking into buying my first AV setp for home.

Im currently looking at a Onkyo 876 & Kef 3005 se speakers.

Is this going to be a good match or would you advise i look at something else? (Different Amp, Speakers? Is one overkill for the other?)

Thanks

It's quite simple really. Set a price point and an idea of what you want and go from there. You can always decipher specs from the manufacture to see if things add up, plus do not discount fan forums where tech talk goes on if you care to learn more about the hobby.

P.S. There is no such thing as overkill. ;)

Cyplex
Your speakers are good, and by default Klipsch do not require a large amount of power to run; oh the beauty of horn loaded design (read: efficient).

Sorry, but they are. Paper coned drivers at an immodest price point with a "bass module" that pumps out TONS of muddled midrange and no bass doesn't seem like a bargain to me.

:yes: :woot:

It's like Audiophile pr0n!

400x400.aspx

:shifty:

Joel
Bose speakers ARE NOT junk/crap.

Yes, they are. You're right, I must be fanboy of almost ANY other speaker maker than BOSE. Or maybe, just a fanboy of good sound. BOSE will never know 'good sound'.

goji
:yes: :woot:

It's like Audiophile pr0n!

:shifty:

amateur :cool:

woahpe2.jpg

you better grab a towel. :D