recreational cigar smoking?

just wondering if enjoying a good cigar every couple months is entirely bad for you. im talking about when you just sit around with a couple buddies and enjoy a good one. how bad is this for someone's health if you only do it every couple months?

I think smoking in general is bad for you. The toxins require immense amounts of exercise to drain out your lungs, so to speak. But, I guess you'll longer than a smoker.

It's not in the long term, think about it like eating twinkies. Yeah, they're bad for you, but eating one every now and then isn't going to make you 400 lbs. In the same way, smoking on occasion isn't going to rot your jaw off.

Although I'm sure there will be people here who will try to convince you it is.

Smoking is a very emotional topic for both sides of the aisle.

One side is biased by their chemical addiction and the other side has been scared into thinking things like smoking gives you instant lung cancer or each smoke instantly takes an hour off of your life or something.

Edited by shakey_snake

I do this too. I'll have a nice cuban every 2 or 3 months. Only thing I hate is the morning after flavor in your mouth, doesn't matter how well you clean your mouth afterwards you'll always get it.

I hate smoking

However I do not see a problem with smoking once every few months though.

Go for it mate :)

I love the smell of cigars for some weird reason too

As far as I'm concerned, smoking a cigar isn't really smoking - simply because you don't take the smoke down to your lungs. I mean, it's still bad for you, with the mouth cancer n all - but your lungs are relatively safe :p

Having a cigar every couple of months probably won't do you any worthwhile harm - by the time smoking them at that rate could give you cancer you'll be long dead from old age anyway :p

Smoking a cigar every once in a while is not a bad thing. The smoke kills a lot of bacteria and germs in the nasal passages. There is some issues with the smoke otherwise, but don't forget that Cigar smoke is not the same as the cigarette smoke, (they don't add nicotine, and other additives to the tobacco).

My ENT recommend that i have some cigars to fight nasal infections that i have had since my tonsil surgery in 97. It helps allot, and with my source of fine cigars, (Cubans via Belgium) it works out nice.

It is nice to enjoy a fine cigar, special with the wife, and some good spirits, (whiskey, Yuenglin beer). I saw enjoy and have fun.

Yeah, it's generally seen as not-a-bad-thing, and I do it too, but if you think about it, it's sort of like playing Russian Roulette. You never know which one is going to get ya. You could develop cancer when you're 60 and it could be from a single one you had when you were 20. You just never know. But, ya gotta die of somethin.

i used to do this too... i good quality cigar is a pleasure to smoke, but i stopped doing because the morning after my throat felt like i'd swallowed a cactus.

here in the uk it's now illegal to smoke in a public building so it's no longer the social thing it used to be... i've not smoked for 3 years and one of my friends who has been smoking since their teens (he's now 39) has given up too.

plus, the cost of smoking in the uk on top of everything else is prohibitive.

i'm a big fan of the idea that you should live life while youre alive. dont worry about smoking a cigar every month or something. enjoy the small amount of time that is your life. like others have said, you could die at any moment! i'd rather live a full life and die young than constantly worry about my health and live to 90.

I see it as being about risks. If you smoke all the time you increase the risks of cancer etc a lot. If you only smoke very occasionally then you only cause a tiny increase.

I don't understand how smoking more = more chance of cancer yet buying more lottery tickets does not = more chance of winning lottery :(

Well it does, because you previously had a 0/4,000,000 chance, and now it's 1/4,000,000! :p