solutions for home networking?

okay this is pretty annoying, i just moved to this new homestay, where my room is at the very corner of the house. and the house is quite big, the router is the on the other side of the house. I barely have 1 bar of wifi signal, and i get randomly disconnected all the time... Wire my computer with a hardwire is not possible since it's not my house, is there any solutions?

p.s although i don't play a lot of games, sometimes i still do in the weekend, and the massive lag just ****es me off.

As far as I know repeaters would help. They amplify the signal.

But I'm not too sure.

The topic should be moved to "Internet, Network & Security" section so we can have some more expert advice on it.

have to agree with sibot, go with a repeater.

the Powerline setup is unreliable and the bandwidth from what i heard is crap

I just bought a pair of Linksys WAP54G today (AP/repeter), i spent the entire day working on it and turns out, it only made my wireless shittier... Even though I get 5 bar signal, but i cannot connect to it most of the time. Also my main router is Airport Extreme (the old one), so antenna is not an option of me :c(

I'm kind of interested in the power line solution, but is he just joking about it or for real? I know its possible but i havn't seen any practical and consumer usages yet.

Okay I seemed to found the best solution so far: Power-line networking. ChosenOne wasn't kidding, it's infact a good solution. I found a pair of panasonic power-line network adapter for only 50$. Sweet deal, I will try it out and see if it will work. *finger crossed*

You might laugh when you hear this, but take a large piece of aluminum foil and fold it over several times so that it's about 4 layers thick (make sure the reflective side is exposed).

Now take the piece of aluminum foil and bend it into a parabolic shape and sit it right arround your router. Doing this will basically amplify the signal in one direction.

Obviously position the foil to point to your computer.

Might sound stupid, but you'll be surprised.

You can try powerline or add a repeater or 2 in the house and you should be good to go.

I just bought a pair of Linksys WAP54G today (AP/repeter), i spent the entire day working on it and turns out, it only made my wireless shittier... Even though I get 5 bar signal, but i cannot connect to it most of the time. Also my main router is Airport Extreme (the old one), so antenna is not an option of me :c(

I'm kind of interested in the power line solution, but is he just joking about it or for real? I know its possible but i havn't seen any practical and consumer usages yet.

Read much? :p

You might laugh when you hear this, but take a large piece of aluminum foil and fold it over several times so that it's about 4 layers thick (make sure the reflective side is exposed).

Now take the piece of aluminum foil and bend it into a parabolic shape and sit it right arround your router. Doing this will basically amplify the signal in one direction.

Obviously position the foil to point to your computer.

Might sound stupid, but you'll be surprised.

Lol buddy I won't laugh at this, because I already made it long time ago. I was even gonna make a super antanna with the combination of :

http://www.instructables.com/id/usb-wifi-antenna/

and

http://www.instructables.com/id/10--WIFI-1...enna-Pictorial/

But even with the aluminum foil, the signal is still under 1 bar. It used to be 5%, then it grew to 15% reception...