Is 1.5Mbps a fast Internet Speed?

My family's got 6Mbps down (AT&T), 150KBps down sounds awful but its certainly good enough for Web surfing, Google Earth and Youtube (one at a time :p )

1.5 was fast in 1999-2001.

I'm on a ADSL2+ service (8Mbps downstream/1Mbps upstream). I get about 150GB for about $70AU.

My friend had two ADSL lines back in the day for his game servers. I remember it being very smooth and when I went home to my dsl it felt like crap lol.

Its time warner/Road runner lite.. I would call them ask about the cap.. The roadrunner lite is supposed to have 4GB cap and overages if you pass the cap. Even with 1.5Mbps, its really easy to pass 4GB cap.

I used to work for RR, 1.5 is RR Lite and as far as I'm aware there is no cap on it, there is no cap on any of their packages....at least not in the market I was in.

RR Tiers are:

Lite - 1.5mbps

Standard - 7mbps

Plus (must have 2 digital services) - 10mbps

Digital Combo (must have 3 digital services) - 15mbps

I'm on a ADSL2+ service (8Mbps downstream/1Mbps upstream). I get about 150GB for about $70AU.

Damn, wish the exchange near where I live was ADSL2+ enabled (which it isn't). I got the fastest speed you can get around my area, 1.5Mbps :p and I'm paying a fortune for it.

Still 1.5Mbps isn't that bad, if you download alot (which I don't) it's painfully slow but if you just surf and only download a little bit, it's fine.

The thing to consider is the fact it's only $17 a month. Right now I'm paying $40 for x8 time that speed. If I wasn't doing heavy downloading, gaming and using VoIP (at the same time) it'd do fine. Email, Web, some gaming; it'd do fine for the price.

• 2 years later...

I'm over 20 mbps by ADSL on Mexico, but it really depends on your browsing style.

If you download a lot of stuff obviously you will notice the difference, however if you just surf the net on a regular basis, you won't even notice the difference.

i think it doesnt matter what people think... it depends on yourself the user if you require a faster connection and depending on the things you do over the internet...

Why/how do people find these old threads and revive them?

Ha ha, I guess that they see the topic, not looking at the last post, (date) get all excited and then dive in with gay abandon! I suppose that this happens to the best of us! :laugh: :laugh:

Um, I'm on roadrunner and the down is actually 7meg, at least in my area (Charlotte, NC)

Whoa I live in Charlotte also.

What part do you live in?

I'm currently on a 30/5 line for about 45 or so a month

lol orignal post dates 2008...but anyways still even for that time 1,5Mbps was very slow...in 2007 we already had adsl2+ with 24Mbps down/3Mbps Up, unlimited trafic for 39,99? and since 2009 i have 100Mbps down/5Mbps up, unlimited trafic for 59,99? per month (in Brussels/Belgium).

I get about 5mbit on my line and I think that's slow. So no, it's not fast.

Sometimes my line struggles to stream HD content.

That's my personal benchmark, if it streams HD footage, it's good enough. Anything better is a bonus.

It is considered slow by today's standards, however $16 is VERY cheap. I have 7mbps cable but I'm looking into FTTH options that are supposed to roll into my neighborhood soon.

Whoa I live in Charlotte also.

What part do you live in?

I'm currently on a 30/5 line for about 45 or so a month

Dude, this person last posted on Mar 28 2011 21:46 and has a total of 177 posts so I really would be surprised if he came back to look at a thread from 2008!?