[UFC] Couture versus Emelianenko targeted for early 2009

The long-rumored heavyweight superfight between UFC champion Randy Couture (16-8 MMA, 8-5 UFC) and WAMMA champion Fedor Emelianenko (28-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is currently being discussed for an as-yet-unspecified date in January or February of 2009.

Sources inside Couture's Xtreme Couture camp today informed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the ongoing negotiations between the UFC and both fighters.

The fight is far from a done deal. Many of the same issues that prevented Emelianenko from signing with the UFC during previous negotiations must still be ironed out. But it appears that the UFC and representatives for both Couture and Emelianenko are working towards bringing the two legends together for a Feb. 2 bout.

Additionally, the same sources are reporting that Couture is currently "actively training for a fight."

Couture has remained in shape throughout his self-imposed 12-month layoff, but his workouts are now reportedly being geared towards an apparent upcoming bout.

Adding to previous speculation that Couture's return may be on Nov. 15 at UFC 91 against Brock Lesnar, Xtreme Couture is also reportedly making travel arrangements to bring in several "larger heavyweights" as sparring partners for Couture.

[Source]

That's what I'm talking about!

p.s I kept this separate from UFC 91 thread due to different events.

Couture vs. Lesnar would have been....interesting.

It could still happen in November and if it does than the winner will face Fedor but lets face it Fedor vs Randy is the fight the world wants to see and if Randy loses to Lesnar then its lost its hype.

It could still happen in November and if it does than the winner will face Fedor but lets face it Fedor vs Randy is the fight the world wants to see and if Randy loses to Lesnar then its lost its hype.

Plus, He says he only has one more fight in him. That's why he refused to fight Noguera for the title.

Everyone does want to see the Fedor/Randy fight, however, I'm worried about the prospect of Lesnar just being too big for Randy.

Yeah me too. I really want Randy to win.. Lesnar to me is kind of a joke.

Yeah he's a wwe wrestler turned fighter and to me he will always be the wrestler.

Let's just hope Randy wins his next 2 fights so we can finally get to see the Superbowl Weekend "Big Heavyweight Unification Fight" - It'll be interesting if they introduce Fedor as the Undefeated PRIDE HW Champ, or even more shockingly... the WAMMA Champ, but I doubt that would ever happen! :p

there is no way fedor will be able to compete in the UFC until affliction goes under. and you can bet your buttons dana will never let anyone mention the WAMMA in the UFC.

There is a lot of talk going on about Affliction going under. Are they that hard up already? Dana White certainly seems to think so! I read an article where he claimed he'd be shocked if they were still around come January.

Yeah me too. I really want Randy to win.. Lesnar to me is kind of a joke.

Why? Cause he did pro wrestling? People forget he has a very good amateur wrestling background. Far better than most other "top" wrestlers in MMA. Dont really see why people love to bash Lesnar cause of his pro wrestling past. He earned a living. Should we all hate on guys like Shamrock, Barnett and Sakuraba just cause they did pro wrestling?

Anyways..Lesnar will kill Randy. Lesnar is a the better wrestler and is far stronger. I really dont see how Randy can win this fight.

And Couture/Fedor will never happen. Fedor aint going to go to the UFC ever, not after the idiotic crazy russians comment and all the retaded bashing Dana has done. Fedors not even top 10 eh Dana.

After watching the replay of Randy/Sylvia last night, Randy did well in that fight but I don't think he is strong enough to defeat Brock unfortunately. And I like Randy :/