[Football] Curbishley quits as West Ham boss

Curbishley quits as West Ham boss

Alan Curbishley has resigned as manager of Premier League club West Ham United.

Curbishley tendered his resignation on Wednesday and it was accepted by West Ham owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson.

The 50-year-old had grown disillusioned at the club's transfer policy, which had led to the summer sales of Anton Ferdinand and George McCartney.

A statement on the club's website read: "We can confirm we have accepted Alan's resignation as it is in the best interests of both parties."

The statement added: "We wish Alan all the success in the future. A shortlist of candidates is being drawn up and an announcement will be made in due course about the new manager."

West Ham also moved to justify the summer departures of Ferdinand and McCartney, stating that the sales were "right for the club" and "based on our best long-term interests".

"In the past week, agreement could not be reached with Ferdinand on a new contract to replace his original deal that had just two years left to run," the club added.

"(And) McCartney handed in a formal written transfer request after failing to resolve his personal reasons for wanting a move away."

Curbishley took over from Alan Pardew as West Ham manager in December 2006 and was promised significant transfer funds to help achieve the objective of qualifying for the Champions League within five years.

He signed the likes of Kieron Dyer, Lucas Neill and Freddie Ljungberg during a summer of lavish spending in 2007, but his terms of reference had clearly changed this summer.

Gudmundsson told Curbishley he had to reduce the club's wage bill and that money was to be focused on training and medical facilities rather than signings.

Full-back Valon Behrami, who joined from Lazio for ?5m, was West Ham's only significant signing of the summer.

Yet first-team squad members John Pantsil, Bobby Zamora, Richard Wright, Ferdinand and McCartney all departed.

Technical director Gianluca Nani has been responsible for the club's transfer policy since being appointed to his role in March.

Source - BBC Sport

I gotta say, I didn't think he'd walk, but rather be pushed. I suppose selling 1 of our brightest talents and selling the only recognised left back in the squad was the last straw. Add to that getting someone else in to do all the deals in the transfer market, although at times some of his dealings were beyond useless... Quashie! Trouble is, who do West Ham appoint next? Who's available?

hahah old bent nose Quashie. ROFLS

I'm not suprised at Curbs no longer being at the club, I am suprised he walked. Seems like he left to keep his respect.

I just hope he doesn't go to Newcastle if Keegan has really gone.

Fat Sam to replace him?

I knew he would go to be honest, the sale of anton and george was out of his hands I feel even tho george said he wanted to go. I really don't want Fat Sam!

My money would have been on Rappy posting this first ;)

Maybe I'll finally catch up on the post count! Only 25,784 to go! :laugh:

He's a blight on football and should be thrown down tho the conferences.

As much as I hate him, he did do very well with Bolton. He took them from the old Division 2 and into Europe in about seven years.

Yeah but I never liked the look of Sam and his bolton side. Always pretty boring.

Tell you the truth, unless some old player come manager takes a plunge, newcastle and westham probably end up with foreign maangers.

West Ham have agreed a three-year deal with Gianfranco Zola for the Italian to become the club's new manager.

The former Chelsea striker, 42, held talks with the Hammers last week about succeeding Alan Curbishley, along with Roberto Donadoni and John Collins.

But, as revealed by BBC Sport, West Ham opted for Zola over the former Italy coach and ex-Hibernian boss, and he should be unveiled before the weekend.

"Gianfranco was our first choice," a senior club source told BBC Sport.

"We were very comfortable with the three options we had - Zola, Donadoni and Collins - but Gianfranco came out on top."

No opinion Damien?

No I want to hold back really because there might be some expletives about it, but in summary I don't agree with it but what can I do :)

We'll see how he adapts as far as I know he has been working with Under 21's over in Italy so he has been in football since retiring from playing so he may well be quite high up there ex players tho do very well look at Keane,Poyet and Bruce.