HD Amps

Just wondering is getting an HD amp a worthwhile investment? Is there noticible difference using the HDMI audio than bitstream on a non-hd one?

Whats the best value for money/cheapest HD amp around? Would I also need to upgrade speakers?

thanks

Edited by Si_

Just wondering is getting an HD amp a worthwhile investment? Is there noticible difference using the HDMI audio than bitstream?

Whats the best value for money/cheapest HD amp around? Would I also need to upgrade speakers?

thanks

By HD amp... do you mean audio/video receiver?

Thats the one I just bought.... upgraded from an older sony which was only used for audio... I am extremely happy with my setup, I have my hd dvr and ps3 hooked up HDMI(still have 2 open ports), 360(optical audio) and wii(red/white audio) hooked up via component and just have the one hdmi out to my TV. Audio sounds great... I have only watched a few bluray movies with the dtshd but there is a noticable difference in sound quality from my old sony setup... I am using the same set of cerwin vega speakers.... will eventually add the 2 rear surround speakers when I find the time/money... what kind of TV do you have it hooked up to?... I only ask because the sr606 only upscales the analog video to 1080i.. this did not really bother me as the only analog signal I would want to upgrade would be the Wii and it does a pretty good job of upscailing... just make sure you shop around... amazon and newegg seem to have the best prices on that model...

Thats the one I just bought.... upgraded from an older sony which was only used for audio... I am extremely happy with my setup, I have my hd dvr and ps3 hooked up HDMI(still have 2 open ports), 360(optical audio) and wii(red/white audio) hooked up via component and just have the one hdmi out to my TV. Audio sounds great... I have only watched a few bluray movies with the dtshd but there is a noticable difference in sound quality from my old sony setup... I am using the same set of cerwin vega speakers.... will eventually add the 2 rear surround speakers when I find the time/money... what kind of TV do you have it hooked up to?... I only ask because the sr606 only upscales the analog video to 1080i.. this did not really bother me as the only analog signal I would want to upgrade would be the Wii and it does a pretty good job of upscailing... just make sure you shop around... amazon and newegg seem to have the best prices on that model...

Thanks. I am using a Samsung M87 (1080p). So will it send digital video (such as from bluray) to the tv at 1080p but only upscales to 1080i?

Are there any other amps out there that's better value?

1080p video will be fine... as you can turn off the upscaler per input... so it will just pass the 1080p through.... this was the best $400 and under receiver out there.... the next ones up were in the $500 and up level... denon/yamaha/onyko...

Yes Yes and Yes.

Some of the newest receivers (Denon and Onkyo etc) that hover around the 1k USD mark are capable of producing some exceptional audio for cheap compared to the higher priced units of yesteryear.

Between those two aforementioned companies the playing field has been drastically leveled aiding in some serious competition, I know when I "upgrade" I'm going with a Denon receiver just for the specs and not the amps.

@+Si: What speakers or additional equipment are you running?

Yes Yes and Yes.

Some of the newest receivers (Denon and Onkyo etc) that hover around the 1k USD mark are capable of producing some exceptional audio for cheap compared to the higher priced units of yesteryear.

Between those two aforementioned companies the playing field has been drastically leveled aiding in some serious competition, I know when I "upgrade" I'm going with a Denon receiver just for the specs and not the amps.

@+Si: What speakers or additional equipment are you running?

Hmm, probably a stupid question but do you need an amp like the 605 or 606 to play truehd etc from a PS3? Can't PS3 decode those internally and send to a normal receiver?

I am currently using some Eltax speakers which are about 3 years old, considering upgrading them soon also.

Hmm, probably a stupid question but do you need an amp like the 605 or 606 to play truehd etc from a PS3? Can't PS3 decode those internally and send to a normal receiver?

I am currently using some Eltax speakers which are about 3 years old, considering upgrading them soon also.

The Onkyo TX-605 will pass through the audio feeds; it doesn't decode the HD audio over HDMI while the 606 will. The PS3 can decode the audio then send the decoded packets to the audio for playback. Its up to you which receiver to purchase as far as features. Either way you will be purchasing a stellar unit that has received rave reviews.

I'm not familiar with Eltax as a brand or a company, but if they suit you fine no need to upgrade. A well built speaker can and will last a lifetime if cared for!

• 2 weeks later...

Well in the end I upgraded to a 606 receiver and a Jamo A1 set of speakers, and all I can say is WOW. The level of detail and clarity playing the HD audio streams is incredible. One that i've really noticed it in is Black Hawk Down, you can hear a lot more that doesn't come through normally which gives some scenes a completely different atmosphere -- brilliant. One of the best investments i've made :D