Samsung: Blu-Ray gone by 2012

What's to replace Blu-Ray?

Movie downloads?

Maybe Beyond HD. Just that there are no TVs to support that resolution.

Blue-Ray is going to be here for some time. People don't buy BR movies because of the players' prices (currently the best available is the PS3, and often people like something else than a gaming console for watching movies). When the BR players get cheaper, sales of BR movies will start to rise up seriously.

One other thing, I'm betting any difference in cost will be offset because of the need for new HDD's every so often.

maybe 10 years time, 15 at a push. put certainly not 5.

Its not really an issue, movies are compressed that much you could fit a few hundred on a 250gb hdd. Thats one thing that annoys me about these online video streaming/purchasing, why should i pay near DVD/Blu-Ray prices when i dont get a box or a disc, i dont get any extras, i dont get to copy the file wherever i want to back it up and that its compressed from 7gb in dvd sizes to 800mb-1Gb or from 30Gb Blu-ray to 4-5Gb video.

The best example I've seen of HD compression are mkv rips, and they're barely touching upon the quality you get out of a avc/vc-1/mpeg2 25/50gb encoded disc.

I don't think downloads will take off until we can stream it off the mark, not start the movie and have it buffering for an hour.

Yes i agree, i buy Blu-Ray discs and create a digital format that i have full control over what codec i use, what bitrate, what audio, any subtitles, if i want i can also rip the extras then they are archived on my media server that has 2x 1Tb drives. They arent a touch on the 1080p format on the disc but they are very close considering the file sizes.

These online buying and renting services are limited to what codecs they pay a licence for and then only if that codec supports the restrictive DRM the studios stipulate they must use, they use commercial encoding software which dont support all the features of the codecs standards so you get a blurry mush with compressed audio sometimes you get subtitles sometimes you dont, no extras, etc.. and to add insult you pay near DVD prices for the privilidge. Online will never take off as long as physical media is around.

Edited by Richard Hammond

Well DVDs were around long enough before anyone started buying them, and as ppl have already said, what will replace them? HD-DVD is gone, and downloads will never take off in places like the UK with its EXCELLENT web infrastructure (dunno about the US).

Also I don't think many people will be patient enough to wait several hours for the huge downloads, and if they do the ISPs will all start throttling traffic e.t.c.

And anyway, I'm sure if Blu-Ray is too expensive (which it is IMHO), the DVD marked won't just stumble over and die if there's still a demand.

And finally, they have no excuse to push up the price of Blu-Ray disks themselves, cos I read here that they cost no more to produce than a standard DVD!!

About downloads, HD Content downloading in Australia... not for a long time...

But, technology is moving fairly fast at the moment so perhaps Blu-Ray may be replaced by then. Personally, though, I don't see the need, DVD still looks fine, but I haven't seen HD in action so I can't say completely.

What's DVD-A and SaCD? I know more than anyone I know about video formats but I've never heard of these :huh:

Little off-topic maybe: (just trying to help)

DVD-A is DVD-Audio and SaCD is Super audio CD. Both audio formats, so I guess it's natural you didn't hear of these "video" formats ;) (j/k mate).

Here is a little more info if you are interested:

DVD-A Wiki and SaCD Wiki.

Wow Boz, you really don't let it go do you?

Everything BluRay to you is like Satin or something? I have never known anyone to have so much love for a format (HD DVD).

You seriously need to let it go, BluRay won, HD DVD lost. Who cares what might of happened if HD DVD won, it didn't, let it be.

But in regards to the topic...........

BluRay might be gone by 2012 its 4 years away and it BluRay would be 6 years old...........something bigger and better could be out in that time as technology is rapidly evolving.

Like others have said, Downloads might be even bigger by then (but me personally I dont think downloads will be mainstream by then and also the fact that most people like to buy something and get given it in physical form whether its by a BluRay or DVD).

So many things can happen in 4 years with technology.

This could of turned in to a good discussion but you just can't take this post in that sort of way when it's coming from the biggest HD DVD fan in the world and was probably started at flame bait.

everythings going to move to solid state anyway, the use of discs will become obsolite in years to come.

With progressively quicker data speeds and more things available in digital format, iPod is all downloaded etc. stores will turn into data banks, plug your flash drive in, pay the fee, transfer the data and walk out.

Do you know how many tons of CD's are thrown every year in the UK alone? massive!

Why limit yourselves to mechanical items which can break, cost money (again and again and again) and pollute when you can move to something that fits on your key ring and will hold you favorite cd's.

I'd like to see digital downloads instead of flash storage or memory cards...i personally love how the 360 works in terms of movie downloads etc. all we need is companys creating digital tv units from which you can download movies to, much like the 360 movie system. would be great.

Optical has so many advantages over downloads, I can see only one advantage of downloads:

I'll try to share my opinion on why I completely disagree with you (btw, all of the below goes for HD DVD too but the only advantage HD DVD had over Blu-Ray was readiness to take mainstream much faster as it relied on DVD manufacturing):

Higher bitrates

irrelevant for 95% of people just as long as quality is good enough. That and the fact that technology in compressions and codecs is constantly improving that a 4mbit/s in VC1 looks stunningly good. 10mbit/s looks the same as 20mbit/s with good AVC or VC1 encoding.

better audio

People listen to sound on their TV speakers for the most part or they buy all in one systems as they are cheap. On these there's no way you hear a different in audio so it's completely irrelevant. For you to really appreciate the sound that Blu-Ray offers you need to spend several thousand on speakers and audio video receiver. Something that only a niche audience has.. One of the reasons why it's definitely understandable that Blu-Ray is thought to remain within niche audience both price wise and for the amount of money you need to shell out in order to really experience really miniscule differences for the most part.

extras

As pointed out by numerous Blu-Ray fans even here on Neowin, extras were totally irrelevant when we made comparison that HD DVD offered this, now it's an important thing? It is a good bonus but with internet connectivity with devices, these extras will all be available online anyways, not to mention as free downloads such as XBL has (like interview commentaries etc etc)

no downloads needed

If you think for constant firmware updates for BD+ and constant problems with new titles then I wouldn't say you are totally going to avoid online access anyways.

can just pick it up and take it to a mates

This is of course true, however if you scratch the disc running to your mate, you lost your copy, not to mention that you mate needs to have a Blu-Ray player too. So it's completely a moot point.

NO drm (I'm happy for them to protect the disc content, I don't like not being able to copy a download though)

impulse purchasing, my favourite!

No Drm?!?!?!?! Are you kidding me? There's no way to backup the disc, without breaking the law (that's $250,000 fine). Most people don't want to break the law. You screw it up it's DONE! You need to pay another $20-$30. With digital there's no such problem.

great for building a movie library

Requires space, collects dust, most movies you will not even watch twice. 1tb disc is $150 today and can fit a 100 HD movies at full capacity with no compression (if it's from Blu-Ray), if it's downloadable and optimized it can fit 2-3 times more. Huge convenience and it's very obvious that people are stopping to buy optical media anyways, people rent more then ever because they don't want to stack discs when they want to see them 2-3 times in their life. Digital download give you access to full libraries at your fingertips for a few bucks. Even you saw a movie 2-3 times in your life, you'd pay less then what you pay for a disc.

don't have to go out and buy a disc

This is a bad thing? You also forgot to say that you don't have to pay additional nonsense costs for packaging, replication and stuff for the movies with downloads as you do with optical media.

huge hit on your monthly bandwidth allowance, which most of us have (some ISP's don't but they have a 'ghost' cap they don't tell the customers)

This will and is not going to be a problem in the long run. It maybe now because companies are trying prolong investements that will undoubtably come, but FCC is already giving hell to Comcast for it. This will be taken care of by the market anyways. I don't know what situation is in UK, but it will not stop the technology progress either way. I know people who say they use downloads just fine in UK and reported to me that they have even faster connections then what I have here in the States. So take it for what it is.

pita to copy to portable storage, if they allow that.

Already possible. You can backup anything legally for the most part to an external media. You can't play it with anything else but it's accessible and you can back it up.

most download services are rental, I want to own my copy, not have it deactivate after x days.

Why? Because you are used to have a stack of discs on your shelf that looks pretty? There's no point of owning a movie if you access to it 24h a day. That's the whole point. It's cheaper for you if you rent it then own it considering how many times you REALLY watch that movie and how much you pay for it. People have already shown that they don't want to own anymore. Rapid decline in sale is what draw studios to try Blu-Ray. Now, they are aware that Blu-ray might be done in a few years so they are already supporting digital downloads fully. Netflix company has grown incredibly fast thanks to rentals. It's obvious what's the deal and not only obvious but already commented on many times by industry people and studios.

often quicker to buy the optical disc than download it.

Not really.. I can't go to the store and back in 10 mins for the time it takes for my Vudu or XBL to cache the movie and starts playing.

Because of the rental system, you cannot really build a collection.

Again.. why? You built collections because it was inconvenient always to go to the rental store to pick up a movie so it was more convenient for you to just buy it have it if you like it. With digital downloads this is completely eliminated thus no need for people to really own a disc.

But here's why optical is obsolete and digital downloads are much better, effective, flexible and convenient:

1. Slow read time and expensive write discs at the moment. Even if it reaches lower prices and when it does as always it will be too small when compared to other storage devices

2. No way to back it up LEGALLY. If your disc gets screwed you have to buy a new copy.

3. It doesn't last forever.. files do as they are digital (you can always back them up to ANY new medium)

4. Regional coding that is purely there to screw consumers

5. You have to carry the disc if you want to watch content at someone else's house.

6. Fixed quality. With digital downloads as infrastructure grows you the quality of movies will by evolution improve without any cost to you since you will always rent and watch the latest version of that movie. For optical you will either have to buy a new player or rebuy a disc which in both cases is good.

7. Overall storage. As I said, 1tb drives are $150 in a year they will be even bigger for less not to mention that in the next 5 years all new flash disks, wireless USB at hi speeds, home servers etc etc will all become extremely cheap and mainstream. Who needs optical in that case? I can tell you it sure is not me.

8. Fixed content on the disc. With digital downloads content can always expand without republishing new discs. Not with optical. They have to replicate and package and then RESELL the new version. Of course you are expected to double dip or triple dip. Awesome! Not.

9. Much easier to author, publish a movie with minimal costs for studios. They make better money by renting on per user basis and it's revolving then spending money to package, market, replicate optical media. It's win win for everyone. Studios make a bunch of money and user get to watch movie on-demand for overall cheaper price then if he bought a disc for $25 or more.

10. Better for ENVIRONMENT!

Think about it. I'm sure you'll realize this when you experience downloads more and more.

Maybe Beyond HD. Just that there are no TVs to support that resolution.

Blue-Ray is going to be here for some time. People don't buy BR movies because of the players' prices (currently the best available is the PS3, and often people like something else than a gaming console for watching movies). When the BR players get cheaper, sales of BR movies will start to rise up seriously.

The only problem is that people have to buy a technology for it to become cheaper and that's not happening. Simple economics.

Samsung dude is totally right.. I've heard this a while back but now it's starting to get more public.

everythings going to move to solid state anyway, the use of discs will become obsolite in years to come.

With progressively quicker data speeds and more things available in digital format, iPod is all downloaded etc. stores will turn into data banks, plug your flash drive in, pay the fee, transfer the data and walk out.

Do you know how many tons of CD's are thrown every year in the UK alone? massive!

Why limit yourselves to mechanical items which can break, cost money (again and again and again) and pollute when you can move to something that fits on your key ring and will hold you favorite cd's.

That's were I see it going along with digital downloads through your internet connection. It's the only way to make it work because everyone will not have fast internet. Walking into a store with a flash drive and copying over the movie, cd or game is the future.

I'll try to share my opinion on why I completely disagree with you (btw, all of the below goes for HD DVD too but the only advantage HD DVD had over Blu-Ray was readiness to take mainstream much faster as it relied on DVD manufacturing):

Higher bitrates

irrelevant for 95% of people just as long as quality is good enough. That and the fact that technology in compressions and codecs is constantly improving that a 4mbit/s in VC1 looks stunningly good. 10mbit/s looks the same as 20mbit/s with good AVC or VC1 encoding.

better audio

People listen to sound on their TV speakers for the most part or they buy all in one systems as they are cheap. On these there's no way you hear a different in audio so it's completely irrelevant. For you to really appreciate the sound that Blu-Ray offers you need to spend several thousand on speakers and audio video receiver. Something that only a niche audience has.. One of the reasons why it's definitely understandable that Blu-Ray is thought to remain within niche audience both price wise and for the amount of money you need to shell out in order to really experience really miniscule differences for the most part.

extras

As pointed out by numerous Blu-Ray fans even here on Neowin, extras were totally irrelevant when we made comparison that HD DVD offered this, now it's an important thing? It is a good bonus but with internet connectivity with devices, these extras will all be available online anyways, not to mention as free downloads such as XBL has (like interview commentaries etc etc)

no downloads needed

If you think for constant firmware updates for BD+ and constant problems with new titles then I wouldn't say you are totally going to avoid online access anyways.

can just pick it up and take it to a mates

This is of course true, however if you scratch the disc running to your mate, you lost your copy, not to mention that you mate needs to have a Blu-Ray player too. So it's completely a moot point.

NO drm (I'm happy for them to protect the disc content, I don't like not being able to copy a download though)

No Drm?!?!?!?! Are you kidding me? There's no way to backup the disc, without breaking the law (that's $250,000 fine). Most people don't want to break the law. You screw it up it's DONE! You need to pay another $20-$30. With digital there's no such problem.

great for building a movie library

Requires space, collects dust, most movies you will not even watch twice. 1tb disc is $150 today and can fit a 100 HD movies at full capacity with no compression (if it's from Blu-Ray), if it's downloadable and optimized it can fit 2-3 times more. Huge convenience and it's very obvious that people are stopping to buy optical media anyways, people rent more then ever because they don't want to stack discs when they want to see them 2-3 times in their life. Digital download give you access to full libraries at your fingertips for a few bucks. Even you saw a movie 2-3 times in your life, you'd pay less then what you pay for a disc.

This is a bad thing? You also forgot to say that you don't have to pay additional nonsense costs for packaging, replication and stuff for the movies with downloads as you do with optical media.

huge hit on your monthly bandwidth allowance, which most of us have (some ISP's don't but they have a 'ghost' cap they don't tell the customers)

This will and is not going to be a problem in the long run. It maybe now because companies are trying prolong investements that will undoubtably come, but FCC is already giving hell to Comcast for it. This will be taken care of by the market anyways. I don't know what situation is in UK, but it will not stop the technology progress either way. I know people who say they use downloads just fine in UK and reported to me that they have even faster connections then what I have here in the States. So take it for what it is.

Already possible. You can backup anything legally for the most part to an external media. You can't play it with anything else but it's accessible and you can back it up.

most download services are rental, I want to own my copy, not have it deactivate after x days.

Why? Because you are used to have a stack of discs on your shelf that looks pretty? There's no point of owning a movie if you access to it 24h a day. That's the whole point. It's cheaper for you if you rent it then own it considering how many times you REALLY watch that movie and how much you pay for it. People have already shown that they don't want to own anymore. Rapid decline in sale is what draw studios to try Blu-Ray. Now, they are aware that Blu-ray might be done in a few years so they are already supporting digital downloads fully. Netflix company has grown incredibly fast thanks to rentals. It's obvious what's the deal and not only obvious but already commented on many times by industry people and studios.

Not really.. I can't go to the store and back in 10 mins for the time it takes for my Vudu or XBL to cache the movie and starts playing.

Again.. why? You built collections because it was inconvenient always to go to the rental store to pick up a movie so it was more convenient for you to just buy it have it if you like it. With digital downloads this is completely eliminated thus no need for people to really own a disc.

But here's why optical is obsolete and digital downloads are much better, effective, flexible and convenient:

1. Slow read time and expensive write discs at the moment. Even if it reaches lower prices and when it does as always it will be too small when compared to other storage devices

2. No way to back it up LEGALLY. If your disc gets screwed you have to buy a new copy.

3. It doesn't last forever.. files do as they are digital (you can always back them up to ANY new medium)

5. You have to carry the disc if you want to watch content at someone else's house.

6. Fixed quality. With digital downloads as infrastructure grows you the quality of movies will by evolution improve without any cost to you since you will always rent and watch the latest version of that movie. For optical you will either have to buy a new player or rebuy a disc which in both cases is good.

7. Overall storage. As I said, 1tb drives are $150 in a year they will be even bigger for less not to mention that in the next 5 years all new flash disks, wireless USB at hi speeds, home servers etc etc will all become extremely cheap and mainstream. Who needs optical in that case? I can tell you it sure is not me.

8. Fixed content on the disc. With digital downloads content can always expand without republishing new discs. Not with optical. They have to replicate and package and then RESELL the new version. Of course you are expected to double dip or triple dip. Awesome! Not.

9. Much easier to author, publish a movie with minimal costs for studios. They make better money by renting on per user basis and it's revolving then spending money to package, market, replicate optical media. It's win win for everyone. Studios make a bunch of money and user get to watch movie on-demand for overall cheaper price then if he bought a disc for $25 or more.

Think about it. I'm sure you'll realize this when you experience downloads more and more.

The only problem is that people have to buy a technology for it to become cheaper and that's not happening. Simple economics.

Samsung dude is totally right.. I've heard this a while back but now it's starting to get more public.

Seriously. wow. You believe all that as well, don't you?

I mean't that as my good point, I didn't make that clear.

I actually enjoy

I enjoy collecting movies, I like to revisit films every now and again. I probably watch 4-5 films a week, both new and old.

I'm happy to wait a few seconds to load

No need, I take good care of my discs, bd's are very tough too

A HDD can screw up as much as anything else

and downloads won't be regional?

I'd rather that than said friend have an account with x and pay for the rental, when I could just bring a disc.

you'd have to buy a new download still

Drives fail still, I'd rather replace 1 optical disc than have a single hdd fail and have to re-download everything.

You don't have to rebuy

I prefer physically browsing discs in the shop than a list online.

HIPPY!

and how many cars do you have? ;p

believe me, I tried downloads, not for me. not so great for many of us on slower connections, I physically can't get a faster connection neither.

I'm willing to bet a huge chunk of dvd's are bought on a whim during the weekly shop etc, can't do that with downloads. physical media is more impulsive imo.

Edited by Coldgunner

Don't forget that Comcast just imposed a 250GB/month download limit. How long it stays at 250GB will be a mystery given Comcast's actions up to this point in time.

I believe the 250GB limit has always been in place however when people exceeded this limit they were cut off people complained and requested the information to know how much they can download a month before being cut off so they stated 250GB

so the limit has always existed just never on display

^ I have no sources for this information its just what i gathered from reading the article a few days ago :)

The same with DVD, HD DVD and with downloaded things. They have number of times it can be copied some even opened. Actually DRM on downloaded things is 10x nastier than of a physical disc.

You can store it on a external media but you can't play it anywhere else. While a physical disc allows me to take it to a friends house to watch. Or it has a number of times I can play, or number of places I can play. I bought it I should be able to play it w/e I want, when I want, how many times I want.

For what you are saying can have any chances, a lot of things have to change before.

I'm willing to bet a huge chunk of dvd's are bought on a whim during the weekly shop etc, can't do that with downloads. physical media is more impulsive imo.

And how is this good for you? YOu spend money on something you probably won't watch 3 times in your life.

Owning in general is illogical with future technology that's the whole point.

I don't have problems paying $3-$4 to watch a movie. I know I'll probably watch it like 5 times during the lifetime of that media anyways so I'll end up paying in rentals the same as I would for that disc version, only with downloads I will always have the latest version to pick from and whatever changes might've been applied to the disc. With optical I have to rebuy a new version if I want an extended cut or something. How is that better I don't know?

Sure you don't have to buy anything, but that's not the point right? It's all about freedom of selection and convenience of access.

And how is this good for you? YOu spend money on something you probably won't watch 3 times in your life.

Owning in general is illogical with future technology that's the whole point.

I don't have problems paying $3-$4 to watch a movie. I know I'll probably watch it like 5 times during the lifetime of that media anyways so I'll end up paying in rentals the same as I would for that disc version, only with downloads I will always have the latest version to pick from and whatever changes might've been applied to the disc. With optical I have to rebuy a new version if I want an extended cut or something. How is that better I don't know?

Sure you don't have to buy anything, but that's not the point right? It's all about freedom of selection and convenience of access.

Are you the benchmark or the norm for video rental and watching thesedays?

I buy films i want to watch over and over and over again, just because you would only watch it 5 times doesnt mean everyone else is the same as you.

I can still find VHS recorders in stores... BluRay won't be gone so soon. New formats will emerge obviously, but previous generation "winners" always stick around for a while.

I buy films i want to watch over and over and over again, just because you would only watch it 5 times doesnt mean everyone else is the same as you.

(Y)

I like owning physical media to watch over and over again, of course, only those that really deserve it.

----

I think renting is excellent for movies/tv shows that only make sense watching once or twice. I'd probably rent a season of Lost, but would never buy it. After watching it once, it looses all the excitement. Seinfeld and Family Guy (personal taste) are the complete opposite. I can watch them 100+ times and still get a laugh.

That's why I think media such as DVD, BluRay, [next format]+ will always have a market.

What's to replace Blu-Ray?

Movie downloads?

some sort of format that allows you to "rent" or buy movies via internet, without leaving your home, in HD

I'm not the benchmark and have not said so but business trends are. Rentals are stronger and stronger, sales are weaker and weaker. Netflix and others have grown at incredible rate because consumers want to rent more. Having convenience of all titles at your fingertips makes owning obsolete. The panic among studios because of declining sales was obvious even 2 years ago..that's why they wanted new type of approach to try to rejuvenate sales, unfortunately 2-3 years ago digital downloads weren't really that ready, but now they are adding more and more movies to digital delivery because they can see the potential.