Giz Explains: Why HD Video Downloads Aren't Very High Def

I always knew they were never full HD quality from the web, such as game trailers.com and what not, but it is damn better then SD.

Great info on this post about how many different flavors of HD are out there and that there is really no standard on what is considered "HD" and the closest thing to "true HD" would either be blu ray or HD DVD, but again still no set standard for which "HD" is true other than resolutions of 1280X720 or 1920X1080. but from what i have seen is that the only way to get the best experience is to watch a movie or video recorded with high quality HD film/ camera and encoded with a bitrate 20mbps=> and since there will not likely be true hd on broadcasted stations and on satelite along with the new comcast cap on bandwith now really deadens the HD experience. Now don't get me wrong in my own opinion the channels look great but not near the quality of blu ray or HD DVD at the same resolution.

now there is one thing i would also like to say about old movies encoded to blu ray: since the cameras used for older movies were not all HD but were high quality the images still look good but film @1920X1080 can be lack luster especially if you have a new 120hz tv/ 24p or both but ill still buy predator on blu ray!! :D

you should jut ignore the article int he first post Gizmodo as usual has no idea what they're talking about and their numbers are mostly bull**** and you can't compare mpeg2 at 8Mbps with VC1 at 8Mpbs like they seem to think.

How about you read what I was responding too.. 1/4 of movies released on Blu-Ray are indeed MPEG2.. most of that was in the first year of the format.. The response was towards the comment that since the format's start they've been encoding with VC1 or AVC.

Except that you didn't note that with your chart, you just threw it up there with no explanation.

And "majority" != "all", meaning that Disney was using AVC, and Warner VC-1, so, as stated before, "Blu-ray has been using VC-1 and AVC since it started".