Cheque vs Check

Cheque vs. Check  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Check
    • Cheque

Not at all actually, the Canadian pronunciation of the 'ou' dipthong is more consistent with Scots or Hiberno English. (At least, in the stereotypical 'Canadian' accent.) But that's a different thread.

Well, I don't know those Canadians. I don't think Joel does either. People in Ontario typically sound pretty similar to Californians which is why our news people (i.e. John Roberts) can transition to the United States so easily.

You do realize it's different due to the historical fact that America wanted to change as much as they could after they declared independence from Britain including the language. So even last names changed from Smyth to Smith, or similar.

+1 .. it's the truth

Well, I don't know those Canadians. I don't think Joel does either. People in Ontario typically sound pretty similar to Californians which is why our news people (i.e. John Roberts) can transition to the United States so easily.

Canadian Raising is actually prominent across the entire country. I've noticed that Canadians themselves tend to be the last ones to notice it, while Americans or Brits tend to pick it up faster. I'd imagine that's due to exposure to so much American media, somehow we become oversaturated to the point that we don't even notice that we *don't* speak the same way.

Wiki Article on Canadian Raising

aboot this arguement:

I write a cheque...

but i put a big check mark on the cheque eh?

from Canada here too.. but i love the stereotypical accent..not a lot of people in Canada actually have that accent. :p

I was proof reading a friend's e-mail (because he admits he is bad at spelling and grammar), and he used "check" as in, a piece of paper that denotes money. I'm from NYC, USA and I always thought that a "check" was a mark on a piece of paper, say a survey form. And a "cheque" was what you got from your bank.

I Wikipediaed it, and apparently, in the USA, it's ok to use "check" as in a bank note.

When did this happen? I'm from the USA. No one told me! :laugh:

I'm just curious as to whether I am the only guy from the USA who uses "cheque" and what other countries say.

I wonder if the pronunciation of the word changed into the way people spell it.

And if anyone bitches about another stupid poll, my excuse is: 8 million by Oct 1st 2008 & Win! So **** you. :p

EDIT: Oh Christ. I forgot to add the poll. And I can't edit it from here. :blush:

To answer your question, yes it is possible that you are the only guy in the USA that uses the British spelling, but I doubt it. I'm sure they are other Americans that do not use the correct American spelling.

I looked ?Cheque? up in the Webster's Dictionary and its say that ?Cheque? is the British variation of the word ?Check.? So then I looked up ?Check? and it defines it as a ?written order to a bank to pay money.?

Also, every mail order bank check business I know of uses the American spelling. For example, visit http://secure.checksinthemail.com/ and http://www.styleschecks.com/home.aspx

I think it's important to note that the users of the British spelling are simultaneously:

1) Looking down on the American spelling as if it's a simplification we used so it wouldn't be so hard for us Americans to remember english

2) Complaining that if it was spelled 'check' it would be too difficult to tell which meaning it carries.

I'm not sure if I should take the insult from (1) or the unintended compliment from (2), where the British folk pretty much say Americans have a solid grasp of context and do better with comprehension than they do.

Hmm...thanks!

P.S. We're all just speaking yet another language's spin-off, changing and mingling and mixing as people spread across the globe. It seems the only difference is that the British crossed a few feet of water and their language changed completely, while the Americans crossed an ocean and still remembered how to speak. :)

I think it's important to note that the users of the British spelling are simultaneously:

1) Looking down on the American spelling as if it's a simplification we used so it wouldn't be so hard for us Americans to remember english

2) Complaining that if it was spelled 'check' it would be too difficult to tell which meaning it carries.

I'm not sure if I should take the insult from (1) or the unintended compliment from (2), where the British folk pretty much say Americans have a solid grasp of context and do better with comprehension than they do.

Hmm...thanks!

Or, spelling it the way that they have been taught just like the Americans and don't really care either way.

I'm just curious as to whether I am the only guy from the USA who uses "cheque"

Why yes, yes you are.

Do you cheque a survey form?

Cheque yes or no?

I Czech my survey. ;)

aboot this arguement:

I write a cheque...

but i put a big check mark on the cheque eh?

from Canada here too.. but i love the stereotypical accent..not a lot of people in Canada actually have that accent. :p

Very true, but in my estimation it seems about 95% of Americans have never been to Canada, I've been to Southern States where people don't even know where Canada is.

May appear that way to you, however "cheque" is proper english.

If someone used "check", or "checking" when referring to a cheque book or chequing account I would think of them as uneducated.

Sorry.

I would find a person who doesn't understand that different parts of the world have different dialects UNEDUCATED! Just because some countries speak "English" does not mean they are exactly alike. Go down to Mexico and Central America. There's all different forms of Spanish. There's even different dialects in the UK! I'm sure Northern UK says some things different then the Southern UKers.

A fragment sentence.

Never in my life have I ever heard an American say, "I'm off on holiday!" (Unless they were pretending with a British accent)

Is it totally improper to say, "I'm going on vacation!"

NO. They both work. Neither are wrong. Whoa, wait is that pronounced NEEEETHER or NIIIIIITHER hmm?

Welcome to the year 2008.

I would find a person who doesn't understand that different parts of the world have different dialects UNEDUCATED! Just because some countries speak "English" does not mean they are exactly alike. Go down to Mexico and Central America. There's all different forms of Spanish. There's even different dialects in the UK! I'm sure Northern UK says some things different then the Southern UKers.

A fragment sentence.

Never in my life have I ever heard an American say, "I'm off on holiday!" (Unless they were pretending with a British accent)

Is it totally improper to say, "I'm going on vacation!"

NO. They both work. Neither are wrong. Whoa, wait is that pronounced NEEEETHER or NIIIIIITHER hmm?

Welcome to the year 2008.

Thank you!

• 2 years later...

Cheque.

I didn't even know the american spelling was different, so if I came across the american spelling I'd either think that person just couldn't spell, or was on about something totally different.

BTW, nice resurrection of a 2 year old thread......

Ha, I didn't even notice that. I just saw it appear in the Spy and thought I'd give my 2 cents.

Good going, TonyLock! (Y)