Is Vista really slower than XP?

+100. I was a vista hater to the tenth power before SP1. It was slow and clunky. But then HP came out with a chipset drivers update and then SP1 was released at the same time that Vista IS worth the time now.

my only con to vista right now is, it takes up too much harddrive space. the kernel is like 15GB if memory serves me.

well considering most hard drives now a days are up to and beyond 100's of gigabytes i don't think that matters much.

well considering most hard drives now a days are up to and beyond 100's of gigabytes i don't think that matters much.

I have an 80 GB hard drive and I run Vista perfectly fine.

yeah i have a 120gb in my hp laptop i just bought. i will be upgrading it soon to at least 250gb and up the ram from 3gb to 4.

mine is 160. I have to delete all but my most recent restore point to keep my 65 GB free on the drive

What I find that is funny-- anyone else here remember XP gold--- I would have about one good crash a week... Sometimes a BSOD... Sometimes Just a lock up... But Sp1 made it more stable and quicker--- though SP2 made it slow down but I did like the extra features--- as far as SP3 I went up to it and then back down... Then back up to SP3 and then it crashed. So give Vista some time... and It will be faster.(Just look at the improvements they did under SP1 for Vista)... Though as with all --- Quality Drivers--- I read somewhere that most crashes are due to bad drivers-- as well as badly written applications (they didn't say who wrote them).

I have seen machines fly with vista and some crawl... I have actually seen one with only 1gig take less time to boot than one with 4gigs. And Identical processors just different motherboards. So go figure that one out...(still thinking drivers there).

One thing vista is defiantly faster with is the time from inserting a new removable device (like a thumbstick) to when its ready to be used.

Xp takes a 20 or so seconds, vista is almost blink!.

Oh well this settles it then! I was thinking of making the jump to Vista and I needed a good reason, and you've finally given me one! Removable devices are recognized faster in Vista! Yay! Seriously though, Vista sucked at first with the shoddy driver support but I've been running it since SP1 was released and it's just as fast as my other XP boxes. I would recommend switching.

vista has had time to mature and the drivers are way better now than when vista first launched but xp was the same when it came out.