Longhorn Explorer Beta 2


 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Audiowerfer said:

but Server 2008

Also EOL, all supported even extended ended for server 2008 on 1/14/2020

 

If your still running it - your doing it wrong!

 

Its time to move on!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2020 at 1:47 PM, BudMan said:

Also EOL, all supported even extended ended for server 2008 on 1/14/2020

 

If your still running it - your doing it wrong!

 

Its time to move on!!

I really don't need anyone to tell me what to do. I am still enjoying Vista and I love it. It still fulfills all my needs while maintaining the awesome interface, which is what keeps me from moving on. Games are playing. Firefox is browsing. VMware is virtualizing. Photoshop is editing. Videos and music are playing. Sony Vegas is too editing. And I am not downloading random trash from the Internet. I don't need anything else! I have already tried the dull Windows 7 and the disgusting Windows 8.1 and 10 systems and didn't take it for long. Let's not talk about what is best for me. because Vista/S2008 is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2020 at 1:49 AM, zhangm said:

Yikes - over a decade ago!

 

It's a long shot, but here's the Wayback Machine archive of that page.

 

https://web.archive.org/web/20080927054713/http://arkmage2.longhornfusion.net/blog/?p=49

 

If you follow the projects link, the author has an email address - maybe you could get ahold of them and they still have the files around?

Thank you. I will try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Audiowerfer said:

Let's not talk about what is best for me. because Vista/S2008 is. 

I don't like this argument. Anti-vaxxers say similar things. "It's my choice, it doesn't harm anyone else." Except that it does harm others. By leaving yourself open to attacks by running a system that isn't being updated you are providing a way for others to become affected. The only time such a system should be used is in a VM, and definitely disconnected from the Internet.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Audiowerfer said:

I really don't need anyone to tell me what to do. I am still enjoying Vista and I love it. It still fulfills all my needs while maintaining the awesome interface, which is what keeps me from moving on. Games are playing. Firefox is browsing. VMware is virtualizing. Photoshop is editing. Videos and music are playing. Sony Vegas is too editing. And I am not downloading random trash from the Internet. I don't need anything else! I have already tried the dull Windows 7 and the disgusting Windows 8.1 and 10 systems and didn't take it for long. Let's not talk about what is best for me. because Vista/S2008 is. 

This is some weird logic.  While, no doubt that versions of Photoshop, Vegas, etc., obviously work on Vista ... Firefox is no longer being updated or receiving security updates and hasn't in three years (for XP/Vista).  Browsing the web with last-Vista-released-Firefox is a ticking time bomb.  

 

Quote

And I am not downloading random trash from the Internet.

...you mean like some random file browsing application?

 

1 hour ago, Audiowerfer said:

Thank you. I will try.

 

Why the web archive link?  It has already been pointed to here...

 

On 3/23/2020 at 6:42 PM, waysidesc said:

... but it is available at DeviantArt ... and you will need to register for a free account if you do not already have one ... https://www.deviantart.com/sucxces/art/LongHorn-Explorer-405091307

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2020 at 3:36 PM, Nick H. said:

I don't like this argument. Anti-vaxxers say similar things. "It's my choice, it doesn't harm anyone else." Except that it does harm others. By leaving yourself open to attacks by running a system that isn't being updated you are providing a way for others to become affected. The only time such a system should be used is in a VM, and definitely disconnected from the Internet.

Uh, it's not like I was engaging in an argument. And how in the world could I harm somebody else by using my own PC?? Where is YOUR logic? If you think I live with my family, you are really wrong. Plus, I have a good antivirus installed.

 

And that example is ridiculous. A real disease and a computer virus are whole different things. While a real one is capable of infecting anyone and is contagious (varies within different types), a virtual counterpart is preventable by not being dumb and knowing how to properly browse the internet.

 

Just realize that nobody here is capable of changing my preferences. Stop derailing this thread with useless discussions of what do I need and what I do not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2020 at 3:54 PM, Jim K said:

 

This is some weird logic.  While, no doubt that versions of Photoshop, Vegas, etc., obviously work on Vista ... Firefox is no longer being updated or receiving security updates and hasn't in three years (for XP/Vista).  Browsing the web with last-Vista-released-Firefox is a ticking time bomb.  

 

...you mean like some random file browsing application?

 

 

Why the web archive link?  It has already been pointed to here...

 

Never did I need any security updates and still do not.

 

I want the original one and not what is on DeviantArt. So... I'll try contacting.. if it's even pointful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Audiowerfer said:

Never did I need any security updates and still do not.

 

I want the original one and not what is on DeviantArt. So... I'll try contacting.. if it's even pointful.

We aren’t concerned for you. Neither are you it seems. Selfish yo the bone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Audiowerfer said:

Uh, it's not like I was engaging in an argument. And how in the world could I harm somebody else by using my own PC?? Where is YOUR logic? If you think I live with my family, you are really wrong. Plus, I have a good antivirus installed.

 

And that example is ridiculous. A real disease and a computer virus are whole different things. While a real one is capable of infecting anyone and is contagious (varies within different types), a virtual counterpart is preventable by not being dumb and knowing how to properly browse the internet.

 

Just realize that nobody here is capable of changing my preferences. Stop derailing this thread with useless discussions of what do I need and what I do not.

Antivirus only helps so much

 

using an OS and software (especially a web browser) that no longer gets security updates leaves you extremely vulnerable.

 

You may not be downloading anything bad but sites/ads get hacked all the time so you could be infected without even knowing. You could easily become part of a bot net for example which WOULD affect others.

 

-----

 

And with that I'm closing this thread because nothing of value can come out of it at this point; it's an old abandoned project that's not relevant to modern OSs

 

Thread Locked

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Brandon H locked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.