Distortion on Center Channel (5.1)

Hi, I am having a problem I hope you guys can help out with. I have just setup my Home Theatre System which comprises of a Philips 5.1 (DD & DTS) Amp connected to my Vista PC via coax Digital Out. The only weak link with this are my speakers, they only cost ?75, which is a LOT for me but very little in the grand scheme of things. Anyhow, everythink is working as it should except that the center speaker seems to distort when voice is heard. This is made even worse at the end of words that end in "s". It sounds like a slight vibration in the audio. I have tried to lower the center volume and although this works to an extent, all the other channels (FL, FR, RL, RR) are too high (if I lower all channels, I have to increase the overall volume and the distortion is heard again.).

Could this be a problem with my speakers being so cheap, as I believe it may be?

Or can I overcome this by somehow using the controlls within Vista to tweak the audio, although I have Vista set to SDPIF ByPass, so I dont think this is an option.

It is REALY annoying me and I am thinking about just having the audio going direct to my TV via the HDMI lead.

If any more details are required (makes, model #s etc..) I`ll post them for you.

TIA

It is a possibility that culprit is your Philips 5.1 setup.

For one the cheaper the audio speakers are, the more restrictive the drivers may be in reproducing a fuller range of audio. The distortion you hear could possibly be the speaker attempting to play the full spectrum of audio that is in the signal but rolling off since it is physically unable to.

Secondly it could be a bad speaker. I suggest you play around tweaking your setup with what you have. If nothing else occurs contact customer support and present them your problem.

I cannot comment on Vista and its audio in/abilities as I don't own that product.

You said there was a slight vibration in the center channel. This might be caused by something loose inside the speaker itself or the box itself. Try placing something heavy, like a book, on top of the speaker to see if that stops the vibration sound. If not, open up the speaker, if you can, and place some sort of foam or cotton batting inside the box itself. Also be on the look-out for loose screws or connections. Keep in mind that taking the speaker apart might void the warranty, so be careful. Taking it apart should be a last straw.

Also, I don't believe that it is a Vista problem and instead is a Philips problem.

Use analog outputs from your rig and see if distortion is still present. If it's not, than it's the digital out processor from your rig that is messed up. If distortion is still present, than you have a blown voice coil in your speaker. Not exactly blown, just separated.

Thanks, Ill give them suggestions a try. My wife has just informed me now that the speaker did fall on the floor about a weekago when she was dusting, so maybe thats the problem. Ill report back anyhow ..