UFC 93

Source

HENDERSON vs. FRANKLIN

COLEMAN vs. SHOGUN II

The world?s most exciting sport returns to the Emerald Isle as the Ultimate Fighting Championship? (UFC?) organization opens up 2009 with the star-powered UFC 93 card at the O2-Dublin in Dublin, Ireland on January 17, 2009.

In the light heavyweight main event, former two-division world champion Dan Henderson will collide with former UFC middleweight king Rich Franklin in three-round war which will set the tone for the 205lbs division in 2009.

Then, 2005 PRIDE? Grand Prix Champion Mauricio ?Shogun? Rua returns to the Octagon? to throw down with UFC Hall of Famer Mark Coleman in a rematch MMA fans thought they would never see. The pair last met in Japan in 2006, with the legendary Coleman pulling off a stunning upset by breaking Rua?s arm in the first round.

Is that the same Mark Coleman that should of faced Lesnar the other month?

Quite a big event tho for Dublin getting Henderson and Franklin!

The Hendo/Franklin fight could be huge, provided the "right" Rich Franklin turns up for the match. Not the one we've seen the last 2 times against Silva. Although I guess Silva was simply too powerful. Also, if Hendo can pull off the form that he left PRIDE with... Should be interesting.

As for Kimbo Slice, unless he stops running his mouth and beats someone worthy of being in the ring with him, I'm not interested. :p

The Hendo/Franklin fight could be huge, provided the "right" Rich Franklin turns up for the match. Not the one we've seen the last 2 times against Silva. Although I guess Silva was simply too powerful. Also, if Hendo can pull off the form that he left PRIDE with... Should be interesting.

As for Kimbo Slice, unless he stops running his mouth and beats someone worthy of being in the ring with him, I'm not interested. :p

To true

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ufc93poster.jpg

Main Card

* Light Heavyweight bout: Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson

* Light Heavyweight bout: Mark Coleman vs. Mauricio Rua

* Middleweight bout: Alan Belcher vs. Denis Kang

* Welterweight bout: Marcus Davis vs. Chris Lytle

* Middleweight bout: Jeremy Horn vs. Rousimar Palhares

Preliminary Card

* Welterweight bout: Martin Kampmann vs. Alexandre Barros

* Light Heavyweight bout: Eric Schafer vs. Antonio Mendes

* Light Heavyweight bout: Tomasz Drwal vs. Ivan Serati

* Welterweight bout: Thomas Egan vs John Hathaway

* Lightweight bout: Nate Mohr vs. Dennis Siver

• 3 weeks later...

Results For Those Who Care :p

Dennis Siver def. Nate Mohr via TKO (strikes) -- Round 3, 3:47

Thomasz Drwal def. Ivan Serati via TKO (punches) -- Round 1, 2:02

Eric Schafer def. Antonio Mendes via TKO (punches) -- Round 1, 3:35

Martin Kampmann def. Alexandre Barros via TKO (strikes) -- Round 2, 3:09

John Hathway def. Tom Egan via TKO (strikes) -- Round 1, 4:36

Marcus Davis def. Chris Lytle via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)

Alan Belcher def. Denis Kang via submission (guillotine choke) -- Round 2, 4:36

Rousimar Palhares def. Jeremy Horn via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua def. Mark Coleman via TKO (strikes) -- Round 3, 4:36

Dan Henderson def. Rich Franklin via split decision (29-28, 27-30, 29-28)

Shogun Who-a? I mean, that fight was just cringing to watch! Coleman completely out of it come the end of Round 1 and then what was Shogun doing at the start of Round 2? Waiting for him to sober up? Why didn't he just finish him? In the end it looked like a terribly lucky win for Shogun. But really? Was he once considered best at 205? I never saw PRIDE but right now, if they feed him to Chuck Liddell as originally planned, Liddell will wipe the floor with him on that form! Gassing in Round 2 against Forrest was bad enough, but gassing against 44 year old Coleman... No, just no.

As for Franklin vs. Henderson, that fight could have gone either way. Infact, seeing as Franklin took the headbutt and poke to the eye and still gave Hendo a decent fight, I would have quite happily given that the Franklin. I don't know why, but it seemed Hendo just didn't look as strong in this fight as he did against both Rampage and Silva.

Hendo vs. Bisping will be good. Not sure what next for Franklin though. I think he should stay at 205. Looked better than he has recently at 185 and well, it doesn't seem like anyone is knocking Silva off the top anytime soon.

Yeah i agree.. the Coleman vs Shogun fight was painful to watch.. REALLY painful. Coleman was gassed like 2 min into the 1st round, you could see he was tired. And shogun just put on a horrible performance, wtf is up with him. The franklin vs henderson fight was good, but i really think franklin should have gotten the victory.

I thought other than the main card of Henderson versus Franklin it was a pretty uneventful UFC 93 (I guess at least compared to Ultimate 2008)

• 4 weeks later...
I thought other than the main card of Henderson versus Franklin it was a pretty uneventful UFC 93 (I guess at least compared to Ultimate 2008)

c'mon UFC 92 had 3 main event type fights....

UFC 93 only had 93

doesn't compare....